The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chronicles

Thanks so much cocacola2! Dya think I could talk about how my first yr grades came as a negative surprise to me...as in I was scoring constantly better prior to this?

I'd be careful about drawing attention to any poor grades. Are they 2:2s? or low 2:1s?

If the latter, I wouldn't mention anything. If they are 2:2s, it is up to you depending on your overall grade so far.

I think most people would say, with it being your first year, you could suggest it has something to do with adjusting to university life. If you're second year grades are a significant improvement then you can say how you have improved etc.

But overall, I would be careful on drawing attention to something that might be a non-issue. Don't feel compelled to use that space. Only if you really need it.
Reply 981
Quick question -

I'm in penultimate year and am waiting on my latest (and first degree applicable) grades which are due on the 17th of January. My 1st and 2nd year grades, while they do not contribute to my degree classification, are only a 2:2. Based on this, I assume it's not worth making my applications until I receive my latest grades which should be a 2:1.

Will I have missed many deadlines by, say, the 22nd? Will I be putting myself at a disadvantage applying this late and what should I do to prepare for when I get my grades and can complete my applications (I assume I can do 90% of each application and then just fill in my grades?)

I've got decent extra curricular experience and have completed 3 internships (1 in a big Irish law firm - I attend an Irish university)

Thanks!
Reply 982
PFO from Allen and Overy and Freshfields! -_-

Have been invited to do a test for Herbert Smith though. My question is: they have asked me to do a logical reasoning test but I'm slightly confused as to what this is exactly?
Original post by cocacola2
I'd be careful about drawing attention to any poor grades. Are they 2:2s? or low 2:1s?

If the latter, I wouldn't mention anything. If they are 2:2s, it is up to you depending on your overall grade so far.

I think most people would say, with it being your first year, you could suggest it has something to do with adjusting to university life. If you're second year grades are a significant improvement then you can say how you have improved etc.

But overall, I would be careful on drawing attention to something that might be a non-issue. Don't feel compelled to use that space. Only if you really need it.

I have two 2.2s, one 2.1 and a first in contract law. Really odd, yeah. And the entire year I mostly attained mid 2.1s so the 2.2s came as a surprise to me. In this case, would you (or anyone else reading this) explain the case?
Reply 984
Original post by Moghul

Have been invited to do a test for Herbert Smith though. My question is: they have asked me to do a logical reasoning test but I'm slightly confused as to what this is exactly?

Ah bad times, what were the applications for? I did the logical reasoning test a few days ago, its a series of shapes or lines or weird objects and then you get asked which one would be next in the series and given a few options. Definitely try a practice test or the practice that the test makes you do to get a feel for it!
Reply 985
Guys, do you know when firms tend to hold interview and ACs? I've booked flights for the second half of February without realising...

Also, has anyone heard back from:

- Ashurst (summer VS)
- Herbert Smith (summer VS)
- Norton Rose (summer VS)
- Burges Salmon
- Olswang
- Travers Smith
- Clyde
Original post by Moghul

Out of interest, when did you submit your Freshfields application (and when did you take the test)? :smile:
Reply 987
Do you also know exactly when Osborne Clarke and Pinsent Masons will hold their ACs? Thanks
Original post by Moghul

Definitely do a SHL practice test. The real thing won't be as long, but it will get you 'in the vibe' for it, I guess.

If you are like all the other typical lawyers, you probably won't like it :tongue:

I did it without practice and it goes without saying that I performed miserably. :lol: It was one of my first apps though. I really liked the firm, it was my own fault for rushing into it.

My reasoning was 'I'm actually quite good at maths, esp. for a lawyer, I don't think it will be too difficult'. I also didn't know that it loads up straight after doing the Verbal Reasoning (?) test. I wasn't sure if I could just press cancel and start the logical reasoning one afterwards, so I didn't want to risk it as well.

I have two 2.2s, one 2.1 and a first in contract law. Really odd, yeah. And the entire year I mostly attained mid 2.1s so the 2.2s came as a surprise to me. In this case, would you (or anyone else reading this) explain the case?

It is a difficult one. I presume it is a 2.1 overall then? It will be a while before you get your second year results I think, in which case a couple of 2:2s won't stand out as much. The first will definitely look good.

All I will say is, if you do choose to mention it, keep it very brief and simple - without being too vague. I find explaining any mitigating circumstances is a very difficult balancing act.
Reply 989
Original post by ahycrwh
Ah bad times, what were the applications for? I did the logical reasoning test a few days ago, its a series of shapes or lines or weird objects and then you get asked which one would be next in the series and given a few options. Definitely try a practice test or the practice that the test makes you do to get a feel for it!

The application was for a summer vacation scheme. Thanks for the advice! The only reason I asked what the test consisted of is because I didn't understand why a law firm would ask us to do a test which tests our mathematical ability...and having googled logical reasoning test, there were a number of variations; some logical reasoning tests include passages of text where you have to deduce certain things.

That's what I thought the test was, but thanks for the heads up! :smile:
Reply 990
Original post by Tortious
Out of interest, when did you submit your Freshfields application (and when did you take the test)? :smile:

I submitted the application maybe 2/3 weeks ago and took the test shortly afterwards. Have you applied there? If so, have you heard back?
Reply 991
Original post by cocacola2
Definitely do a SHL practice test. The real thing won't be as long, but it will get you 'in the vibe' for it, I guess.

If you are like all the other typical lawyers, you probably won't like it :tongue:

I did it without practice and it goes without saying that I performed miserably. :lol: It was one of my first apps though. I really liked the firm, it was my own fault for rushing into it.

My reasoning was 'I'm actually quite good at maths, esp. for a lawyer, I don't think it will be too difficult'. I also didn't know that it loads up straight after doing the Verbal Reasoning (?) test. I wasn't sure if I could just press cancel and start the logical reasoning one afterwards, so I didn't want to risk it as well.

It loads up straight after? WTF. I thought we would be able to take a break after doing the verbal, and do the tests on two different occasions...:angry:
Original post by Moghul

Original post by Moghul
It loads up straight after? WTF. I thought we would be able to take a break after doing the verbal, and do the tests on two different occasions...:angry:

You can I think, but it gives you the option to do it straight after. From what I have been told, you can just click 'x' and you can load that test up later.

I just didn't realise at the time. I thought to myself 'whatever, **** it ...' and just carried on, being the cocky **** that I am. But it taught me a valuable lesson I guess.
Original post by Moghul
The application was for a summer vacation scheme. Thanks for the advice! The only reason I asked what the test consisted of is because I didn't understand why a law firm would ask us to do a test which tests our mathematical ability...and having googled logical reasoning test, there were a number of variations; some logical reasoning tests include passages of text where you have to deduce certain things.

That's what I thought the test was, but thanks for the heads up! :smile:

It doesn't really involve Maths at all, its basically like a non verbal reasoning test where you're given a sequence of shapes/patterns etc and you have to decide which is the next one in the sequence.
Original post by Moghul
I submitted the application maybe 2/3 weeks ago and took the test shortly afterwards. Have you applied there? If so, have you heard back?

Well, I sent the first part on 8 December and sat the test on the 10th, after phoning up Freshfields and SHL because I couldn't log in to take the test! My fortnight was up on Christmas Eve, but understandably I don't think there's anyone in the office to let me know their decision! :p:
Reply 995
Original post by stevie wonder 65
I can't remember the questions specifically but I remember considering it a beast of an application - although the Grad Rec chappy reaffirmed my interest by reminding me that with Pinsent Masons it's just application - interview - vac scheme... obv none of these stages are easy but it's less drawn out after the initial jibber jabber! I'm def going to have a go at it come a few spare days!

yeah, they literally interview you once! i had an interview for a vac scheme with them last year and it was tough - good luck!
Original post by trollman
What is the general consensus regarding the length of the Slaughter's cover letter (in words, I know it is supposed to be one page)?

I have no gaps in my CV or any mitigating circumstances so I'm afraid mine will be a bit too short.

I was just going to write a couple of paragraphs about why I want to work for the firm.

Any thoughts?

Sounds about right to me. I haven't applied, but I'm sure I read somewhere here that a 78 word cover letter got them an interview with S&M.

If they ask you to be brief, don't worry too much about it. Make the sure the formatting is right, there are no spelling mistakes, appropriate language is used and the content is relevant/on point.

good luck :biggrin:
Reply 997
Just realised I made a couple of typos in my lastapp. Doh... nothing major, hopefully they'll be brushed over..

In regards to mitigating circumstances, do you all agree that keeping things brief is the best option? I've done the opposite, and been fairly explicit but concise... my issue concerns retaking my year due to the illness of a family member. Basically, on my app it states i've been I will be at my uni for four years instead of three... not looking to be dishonest, but might it be better to simply not enter any mitigating circumstances and then discuss at interview if raised? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and give HR a reason to chuck my apps out straight away.
Reply 998
Anyone heard back about the S&M easter scheme?
Reply 999
Original post by firesale1
Just realised I made a couple of typos in my lastapp. Doh... nothing major, hopefully they'll be brushed over..

Which firm?

Quick Reply

Latest