The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by cocacola2
Sounds about right to me. I haven't applied, but I'm sure I read somewhere here that a 78 word cover letter got them an interview with S&M.

If they ask you to be brief, don't worry too much about it. Make the sure the formatting is right, there are no spelling mistakes, appropriate language is used and the content is relevant/on point.

good luck :biggrin:

A 78 word cover letter got someone an interview at S&M? Are you serious?
Original post by Moghul

Original post by Moghul
A 78 word cover letter got someone an interview at S&M? Are you serious?

It's somewhere back in this thread... not so long ago, a few pages. It could possibly be in the TC 2014 thread, but I'm fairly certain it's in this one.

I'll try to look for it.

I don't really think there is anything that amazing about it. From what I have seen they ask people to briefly talk about the position they are applying for and any mitigating circumstances if they have any.

Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35059784&highlight=

just checked and mine was 80 words - did get me an interview. I had been advised second hand to keep it very short. Reading some other responses here makes me wonder if they selected me for interview on my arrogance/confidence.

I spent at least as long on the CV as any other application.

Consistently strong academics, slightly unusual ECs, couple of weeks experience with regional firm, workshop + open day with top end end city firms.

I would say that Slaughters' applications are comparatively straightforward. So if in doubt take the advice of those old NY lottery ads: "hey you never know'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by trollman
What is the general consensus regarding the length of the Slaughter's cover letter (in words, I know it is supposed to be one page)?

I have no gaps in my CV or any mitigating circumstances so I'm afraid mine will be a bit too short.

I was just going to write a couple of paragraphs about why I want to work for the firm.

Any thoughts?

Definitely keep it brief. I went to the Slaughter's winter workshop and they couldn't put enough emphasis on this. One of the grad recruitment partners even said that (quite unbelievably!) they quite like it when people put 'I am writing to express my interest in blah, please find attached my CV for your interest'. That's it!

They also said that every CV that is submitted is looked at by 5 partners.

I still haven't done any spring/summer VS apps...oops :frown:
Reply 1003
Im worried i might have messed up one of my applications. I mentioned that I had done work experience at BLG at the time where they were merging with Clyde & Co and said how I enjoyed observing the changes and so on coming about, Should I leave out this? Also I got sponsorship for my society at college of what I said was a "magic circle" firm (A&O) didn't specify which one, would this be frowned upon in the application, by referring to the "magic circle" when they themselves are not considered within this? :
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys, I have a question. Has anyone applied to a firm and been told that they have already filled their places for the vacation scheme? There is a firm I have recently looked into and I am now quite keen to apply for a spring scheme but I fear that it is now too late as the deadline is 31 December and they may have already filled up their quota. For the veterans out there, is it better to apply for the summer scheme now or still apply for the spring scheme despite the lateness of the application?
Reply 1005
ARGGGGHHHHH just realised i missed out 2 commas on the application and there is one typo where I wrote mot instead of not.

:angry:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ****...I just realised I put down on my CV that I got AAAA at A Level instead of AAAB! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Reply 1006
Not particularly early at all (I've only recently decided I want to try for a vacation scheme).
I was wondering what happens when you put down the name of a contact on an application form?
I have a close tie to an employee of this particular firm (sister of a close friend) but I don't want to cause hassle for her if I mention her by name on my application form?

What have others done?
Hey guys. Has anyone taken the Simmons & Simmons Critical Thinking practice test or the Hogan Lovells one (they are the same)? How are you guys doing on it? I'm kind of worried I really suck at it...
(edited 12 years ago)
Should one always save something for ''other relevant information'' sections???
Reply 1009
Original post by sundogs
Not particularly early at all (I've only recently decided I want to try for a vacation scheme).
I was wondering what happens when you put down the name of a contact on an application form?
I have a close tie to an employee of this particular firm (sister of a close friend) but I don't want to cause hassle for her if I mention her by name on my application form?

What have others done?

i don't think it matters/i'm not sure they even contact them that often. also depends on who they are - if that person conducts interviews they will make sure they don't interview you! (i think)
Original post by sundogs

What have others done?

Check with your mate's sister first if it is ok to put down her name. If she says yes - definitely put it down.

A lot of firms will look at it positively. Some won't give a ****.

As the above the poster stated, they might have to make provisions so that you are not interviewed by her if she is involved in graduate recruitment.

Other than that, they may keep her up to date with the progress of her application. I have also read of how some firms (possibly Cobbetts?) giving your contact within the firm specific feedback on your application/interview, so it might help in obtaining frank advice from a recruiter on your application/interview technique.

Whatever you do though, make sure you put it down. Anything to increase the chances of getting an interview!!!
Original post by Fly me to the moon
Hi guys, I have a question. Has anyone applied to a firm and been told that they have already filled their places for the vacation scheme? There is a firm I have recently looked into and I am now quite keen to apply for a spring scheme but I fear that it is now too late as the deadline is 31 December and they may have already filled up their quota. For the veterans out there, is it better to apply for the summer scheme now or still apply for the spring scheme despite the lateness of the application?

Hey,

I'm not sure it really matters which scheme you apply for if they like you enough - if they have filled up their spring places, they will usually just forward your application to the summer scheme (although that may not be your preference). I'm presuming the firm in question recruits on a rolling basis?

This happened to me at Herbert Smith - I applied for the winter VS quite close to the deadline (not helped by issues with accessing their online tests!) and received an email saying that they have filled all their places for Winter, but believe my app is strong and would like to consider it for their spring/summer scheme so I should hear back in Jan.
ARGGGGHHHHH just realised i missed out 2 commas on the application and there is one typo where I wrote mot instead of not.

:angry:

To the dole office with you!
Original post by chronicles
Hey guys. Has anyone taken the Simmons & Simmons Critical Thinking practice test or the Hogan Lovells one (they are the same)? How are you guys doing on it? I'm kind of worried I really suck at it...

I was rejected by HL after taking the critical thinking test and they took ages to get back.
Reply 1014
Original post by chronicles

I did the Hogan Lovells one a month or so ago, and got onto their January Open Day so I'm guessing I didn't completely fail/nobody else applied! I found the first section on it fairly tricky but the others fine. I know other firms don't all use such a beast of a test the one I did for Herbert Smith was much nicer...but then they had a horrible 'Situation test' where I wished I could have justified my answers!!

In fact anyone heard back from Herbert Smith about summer Vac programme? I can't apply for many of the SV schemes because I'm final year, but that was one of the firms that actually allowed me to so fingers crossed.
Original post by Sianeh

In fact anyone heard back from Herbert Smith about summer Vac programme? I can't apply for many of the SV schemes because I'm final year, but that was one of the firms that actually allowed me to so fingers crossed.

Nope not yet, though not banking on good news after the tests. The sit judgement test totally threw me, had no idea what they were looking for. :confused:
Anybody know the dates of the Cleary Gottleib Easter Vac Scheme?
Reply 1017
Original post by alibaba03
Nope not yet, though not banking on good news after the tests. The sit judgement test totally threw me, had no idea what they were looking for. :confused:

I know, me neither, and there was "only one correct Herbert Smith" answer apparently. It seems like I contradicted myself on a few of the answers, but the questions were EVER so slightly different, whether that's just MY interpretation of the question though :confused:
Reply 1018
Also...like the fact the Pinsent Masons application wasn't LONG ENOUGH because they worded the work experience/recreation stuff in a really odd manner, the final question of my 'innovative suggestion' of what they should change about the company in order to meet the long term goals is just a stinker! If the application is this hard, I'm kind of dreading even the thought of their interview eek
Original post by Sianeh
Also...like the fact the Pinsent Masons application wasn't LONG ENOUGH because they worded the work experience/recreation stuff in a really odd manner, the final question of my 'innovative suggestion' of what they should change about the company in order to meet the long term goals is just a stinker! If the application is this hard, I'm kind of dreading even the thought of their interview eek

That kind of question gives me a headache, especially as a lot of firms have already restructured to focus on more profitable areas. I think there's a similar one on the BLP app, I've got the whole thing completed apart from that question, I just keep putting it off :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending