The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

First choice - Northumbria or De Montfort?

Hello,

I am definitely applying for both universities. Just wanted to ask you which would be your first choice and why. The course I am choosing is Advertising.

Thanks,

Jay

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I'm applying in 2011, but you know I like to have things sorted out before it's too late. :biggrin: Yeah, I was looking on the pics of both cities (I'm not from the UK) and I find Newcastle more attractive. Also the nightlife and shopping looks better. And Northumbria's campus looks just more modern than De Montfort's. Have you been on open day in any of these?

Cheers.
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Northumbria... because Newcastle's that cool that I live there :wink:
If you're in that boat I'd reccommend just going to open days for your courses. That way you can check out everything, the city, the accommodation and your course. I'm at Northumbria at the the moment and it's awesome!
Reply 4
Hey, im currently studying at northumbria but moved here from Leicester so have a good knowledge of both universities having visited De Montford many times with various friends being there. Both universities are good and I'm sure you will have a great time at whichever you choose, but if it was down to me personally I would choose Northumbria. The business school there is top class, and the nightlife in newcastle is a whole lot better. Also it obviously depends where you stay, but if you are planning on staying in halls, the northumbria halls are generally cheaper and positioned closer to the university and the town centre. Newcastle also has a very handy metro system for getting about the city and surrounding areas whereas Leicester you are pretty much limited to buses. Plus on the rare occasion that newcastle gets some sunny weather, the nearest beach is a hell of a lot closer than Leicester :smile:.

Anyway hope this helps, and as I say, thats just my opinion, I would recommend checking out both open days before you decide.
Reply 5
Original post by jonski
Hey, im currently studying at northumbria but moved here from Leicester so have a good knowledge of both universities having visited De Montford many times with various friends being there. Both universities are good and I'm sure you will have a great time at whichever you choose, but if it was down to me personally I would choose Northumbria. The business school there is top class, and the nightlife in newcastle is a whole lot better. Also it obviously depends where you stay, but if you are planning on staying in halls, the northumbria halls are generally cheaper and positioned closer to the university and the town centre. Newcastle also has a very handy metro system for getting about the city and surrounding areas whereas Leicester you are pretty much limited to buses. Plus on the rare occasion that newcastle gets some sunny weather, the nearest beach is a hell of a lot closer than Leicester :smile:.

Anyway hope this helps, and as I say, thats just my opinion, I would recommend checking out both open days before you decide.

Really i have heard northumbrias accomodation is expensive.i believe that leicester is a cheaper city. Could you tell me how is the law course in northumbria and how difficult it is?
Reply 6
hey
i d like to study law either de montfort or northumbria.Which university do you believe that it is more lenient and "easier" for law?
i would appreciate a quick reply.
Thank you in advance.
Reply 7
Original post by greekguy
Really i have heard northumbrias accomodation is expensive.i believe that leicester is a cheaper city. Could you tell me how is the law course in northumbria and how difficult it is?

I don't know about accomodation, it's been a while since I stayed in halls but Newcastle is definitely a cheaper city than Leicester. As for law course, I did Psychology so I cant be of lots of help but Northumbria have recently built a 100million pound business and law centre which is pretty state of the art, I'd definitely recommend checking it out for yourself.
Reply 8
Greekguy- Northumbria's Law school is top class- probably one of the best in the country- it has an excellent reputation and attracts loads of bright people with 3 a's- it has one of the highest employability rates (second to oxford) for this subject area. However, if you want to go somewhere easier and lenient then go to De montfort because Northumbria is quite selective and their law courses are very challenging.

Northumbria cannot be compared with De Montfort- Northumbria is excellent and has a top notch business school which is in the top 10 in employability in the UK. I live in the North East so i am familiar with the uni. It is one of the best new unis, and will defo will be a leading uni in a couple of years. Go for Northumbria its really good!
Reply 9
hey
i d like to study law either de montfort or northumbria.Which university do you believe that it is more lenient and "easier" for law?
i would appreciate a quick reply.
Thank you in advance.

Greekguy- Northumbria's Law school is top class- probably one of the best in the country- it has an excellent reputation and attracts loads of bright people with 3 a's- it has one of the highest employability rates (second to oxford) for this subject area. However, if you want to go somewhere easier and lenient then go to De montfort because Northumbria is quite selective and their law courses are very challenging.
Reply 10
Original post by nono101

Thank you. Do you study there? To put it differently i am mainly interested in telling me if the professors in northumbria are approachable, helpful, lenient and help you to graduate. is there so much difference between dmu and northumbria?
are the modules difficult in northumbria and does it demands a lot of independent stydying? i am not from england so i cant evaluate the lenience and the difficulty of every university. Maybe i am extremely anxious or my quetions are irrational!
newcastle seems so fantastic! i just dont know and i want to pick the right university, because this choice will probably determine my best next 3 years! By the way i am not intend of entering the exempting route!
Reply 11
I done advertising at sunderland which isnt very far from newcastle, I live in newcastle and to be honest the advertising course at northumbria didnt look very good and i don't think its as respected or as over populated as the other courses but its up to you :smile:
Reply 12

[QUOTE="greekguy;35706447"]
Original post by nono101

Thank you. Do you study there? To put it differently i am mainly interested in telling me if the professors in northumbria are approachable, helpful, lenient and help you to graduate. is there so much difference between dmu and northumbria?
are the modules difficult in northumbria and does it demands a lot of independent stydying? i am not from england so i cant evaluate the lenience and the difficulty of every university. Maybe i am extremely anxious or my quetions are irrational!
newcastle seems so fantastic! i just dont know and i want to pick the right university, because this choice will probably determine my best next 3 years! By the way i am not intend of entering the exempting route!

Ok i see! Well I have family members who have studied at Newcastle and Northumbria Universities. Firstly, Northumbria is probably more respected that DMU- plus its in a much better city...leicester is not a very nice place (in my opinion). At Newcastle , you have the beautiful countryside next to it, you have beach not far from it, and you have loads of clubs for partying- you probably will enjoy it.

I have heard fantastic things about Northumbria Law School- They lecturers, Ive heard are very approachable, especially if you email them and need some help. Northumbria are very helpful for international students. A law education is very challenging. Northumbria is quite respected for it too, so it won't be a mickey mouse- you will have to read a lot, but a law education is very rewarding. Email Northumbria for any questions and I do believe that there are some representatives on NUFRIENDS- if you search that, there maybe one here for Law.

Some useful links:
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/law/aboutus/film/
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/law/aboutus/awards/?view=Standard
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/law/news/probonoweek
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/law/news/law_soc_awards
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/static/5007/lawpdf/ugprospectus

I hope you find these useful.
Reply 13
[QUOTE="nono101;35707719"]

Ok i see! Well I have family members who have studied at Newcastle and Northumbria Universities. Firstly, Northumbria is probably more respected that DMU- plus its in a much better city...leicester is not a very nice place (in my opinion). At Newcastle , you have the beautiful countryside next to it, you have beach not far from it, and you have loads of clubs for partying- you probably will enjoy it.

I have heard fantastic things about Northumbria Law School- They lecturers, Ive heard are very approachable, especially if you email them and need some help. Northumbria are very helpful for international students. A law education is very challenging. Northumbria is quite respected for it too, so it won't be a mickey mouse- you will have to read a lot, but a law education is very rewarding. Email Northumbria for any questions and I do believe that there are some representatives on NUFRIENDS- if you search that, there maybe one here for Law.

Some useful links:
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/law/aboutus/film/
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/law/aboutus/awards/?view=Standard
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/law/news/probonoweek
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/law/news/law_soc_awards
http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/static/5007/lawpdf/ugprospectus

I hope you find these useful.

oh yes, thank you very much!
Reply 14
Original post by jarralisa

Original post by jarralisa
I done advertising at sunderland which isnt very far from newcastle, I live in newcastle and to be honest the advertising course at northumbria didnt look very good and i don't think its as respected or as over populated as the other courses but its up to you :smile:

Northumbria is very well respected- one of the best new unis- and stronger than loads of traditional universities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by nono101
Northumbria is very well respected- one of the best new unis- and stronger than loads of traditional universities.

is it on par with kent or reading for instance?
Reply 16
I'm not too familiar with reading or kent; so i do not know anything about their law departments. But a degree from either northumbria, reading or kent will be good.
Reply 17

is it on par with kent or reading for instance?

I'm not too familiar with reading or kent; so i do not know anything about their law departments. But a degree from either northumbria, reading or kent will be good.
Hi, just wanted to say i know someone who did creative advertising up in lincoln - loved it! but had to move down to london after and 2 years later is still trying to get a job...... my advise, try to get into a london uni if you plan in staying in england after you degree because you'll need the contacts to get a job.
Reply 19
Original post by xxAuraliaxx
Hi, just wanted to say i know someone who did creative advertising up in lincoln - loved it! but had to move down to london after and 2 years later is still trying to get a job...... my advise, try to get into a london uni if you plan in staying in england after you degree because you'll need the contacts to get a job.

And you can't make contacts with regional, national or international employers in non-London unis? There aren't internships on offer? The Careers Service at these universities don't offer support to students and host presentations by companies, careers fairs, employment skills workshops? The student can't use his or her own initiative and find work experience him or her self?

I really don't understand this "London advantage" talk, as if one can just walk into a Magic Circle firm or Lloyrds and strike up a coversation with the head of recruitment over a cup of coffee. It doesn't happen.

As for those who do work in London; I know many who work, or worked, in London after graduating as anything from teachers, software developers, graphic designers, engineers, accountants and bankers. None of these went to London universities but the likes of Durham, Lancaster, Sheffield, Cambridge and....Northumbria!

The reason why that person remaisn unemployed is probably down to more than just where you went to unviersity. Their degree subject, for example (Creative advertising is not exactly the most in demand of subjects and there is a saturation of graduates with media and media related degrees). There's also work experience (does he/she have any? Did he/she make any attempt to get involved in constructive ECs? Volunteering for example?) not to mention the economic situation. Also, even if you do feel that the university you went to (and its location) has had a negative effect it doesn't mean all non-London universities, particularly Russell and 1994 Group universities, will.

The universities with the highest percentage of graduates are often outside London (Nottingham Trent, Robert Gordon, Bath, Newcastle, Strathclyde, Sheffield) as these often offfer vocational/techincal/professional courses (Medicine, Nursing, Dentisry, Engineering, Architecture) as well as the sciences, as well as storng careers service/links with regional and national employers.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply