The Student Room Group

How long does the BCG take to heal?

So, I just got my BCG jab done for medical school (it is compulsory at my uni) and I was wondering how long it takes to form a scar. The nurse told me it will form a spot in 2-6 weeks, then an oozing nasty sounding scab, then EVENTUALLY a scar.

I was just wondering if anyone who has had the BCG could tell me how long this will take? Will I have to spend months with a horrible scab on my shoulder? Is it painful?
Reply 1
I had mine done in the August and the scab finally fell off in the October.I only have a tiny little scar there now.I cant remember if the scab is painful or not, sorry.All I can remember is that mine must have got infected or something because :

Spoiler

It's fine now though, but I had my BCG in 2006.
It completely depends on the person. Mine didn't flare up, so I didn't get a scab and it didn't ooze. Was completely gone within a few weeks and I don't have a scar.
Reply 3
Original post by Mini-Cooper
It completely depends on the person. Mine didn't flare up, so I didn't get a scab and it didn't ooze. Was completely gone within a few weeks and I don't have a scar.

Same, but I found out that apparently this means either you were really lucky OR it didn't take.

I am personally hoping for the former.
Reply 4
Original post by Antiaris
Same, but I found out that apparently this means either you were really lucky OR it didn't take.

I am personally hoping for the former.

That seems to ring a bell with me, cant remember who said it or where I heard it.
Reply 5
Original post by Kaiaaa

I was just wondering if anyone who has had the BCG could tell me how long this will take? Will I have to spend months with a horrible scab on my shoulder? Is it painful?

I had mine done last august for work! It was ok, blistered for like 6 weeks and only oozed a little bit! It is still visible (~4mm diameter) and the scar is still red (despite having it like 6 months ago!) but occupational health have seen it and apparently its very normal!! and I don't remember it being painful- might have been a bit sore for a couple of days after??!
I had a BCG back in July, it's now March and I still have a lump on my arm that's raised, red and painful (but only painful when touched.) You'll probs be okay though, I'm just weird.:K:
Reply 7
Just incase anyone else reading this is still wondering, or is going to have it done as well - mine didn't flare up, I have had no oozing ulcer, just a small pink round patch of skin that occassionally peels and rarely hurts. However it has been nearly three months and there is no sign of it healing up. But it doesn't bother me at all, and doesn't affect swimming, bathing etc

Quick Reply