The Student Room Group

GCSE - International Student

Hey, guys! I'm a newbie here and I'd love it if you help me :wink: My name's Misha, a 15 year old girl from East Europe who's moving in the UK in a couple of months. Since the majority of you have either gone through this or are about to, I thought that maybe you could answer my dumb questions.
So straight to the topic. Since I'm 15, I have to apply to a secondary school in year 11. But year 11 is the second part of the GCSE course, Is there any chance I can apply directly for year 11 or do I have to go in year 10? Also, how many subjects do you need to choose for GCSE? Some of the things I have covered in school, some I haven't. For example, I've already studied the material for GCSE Maths but I have never studied Religious Studies very deeply. Anyways, let's not go off topic, the main question is in which year I should since for! Thanks!
You can apply for Year 11 and then probably do some GCSEs but not all of them. If you have just turned 15 join Year 10; 1996/1997 are the birth years in which year 10 students are in.

As for options it depends on the school; normally you get 3 subject options along with the core subjects (English, Maths, Science). However some schools do the English Baccalaureate which is English, Maths, Science along with a language (Depends on what the school has to offer), a humanities (History and Geography) and then a subject.

Quick Reply

Latest