The Student Room Group

Mini-pupillage--how many should I do/put on CV?

Hi mates! Thxx for helping me with my summer planning:

I've sent tons of applications for mini-pupillages for the summer, and now I have 2 two-week minis, one at a prominent crim set and the other with a young bar who does general practice in both civil and crim. I've also had an interview with a small civil set which is likely to grant me one, and there is a civil bar who has been corresponding with me through email... (Im applying in Hong Kong, so it's much easier to get a mini than in the UK.)

Since Im just in freshman year, I would like to know how different barristers do things differently at different court levels, and as I want to explore more I've applied for a govt internship.

May I ask for your advice as to
1) whether 3-4 minis for a summer would be too tiring
2) whether that would be not particularly rewarding (or cost-effective)
3) whether that would look unfocused on the CV ?

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion and experience! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by hazelnote
Hi mates! Thxx for helping me with my summer planning:

I've sent tons of applications for mini-pupillages for the summer, and now I have 2 two-week minis, one at a prominent crim set and the other with a young bar who does general practice in both civil and crim. I've also had an interview with a small civil set which is likely to grant me one, and there is a civil bar who has been corresponding with me through email... (Im applying in Hong Kong, so it's much easier to get a mini than in the UK.)

Since Im just in freshman year, I would like to know how different barristers do things differently at different court levels, and as I want to explore more I've applied for a govt internship.

May I ask for your advice as to
1) whether 3-4 minis for a summer would be too tiring
2) whether that would be not particularly rewarding (or cost-effective)
3) whether that would look unfocused on the CV ?

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion and experience! :smile:

Experiences in England (no "UK" legal system) are going to be different to that of Hong Kong, so you need to speak to professionals in that jurisdiction.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by FMQ
Experiences in England (no "UK" legal system) are going to be different to that of Hong Kong, so you need to speak to professionals in that jurisdiction.

Thanks for your kind reply, FMQ. But it would be helpful to know what you think too :smile: , since we have a lot of "British" lawyerly habits here due to our colonial history.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Over in England, hazelnote, it's generally a good idea to have between 2-4 minipupillages on your CV. It doesn't stop you doing as many as you can (and if you have the opportunities, take it) but you should tailor them to each chambers.

So, let's say I had a pool of 7 mini-pupillages which were as follows

a)1 top end civil set
b)2 general common-law sets in the regions (that basically means a broad practice, including criminal law to personal injury)
c)1 common-law set in London
d)1 pure crime set in London
e)1 pure crime set in the regions
f)1 chancery/commercial in London

When I applied for pupillage at a common-law set in, say Birmingham, I would use b) and c) and e), because it demonstrated my interest in similar sets, showed that I had made an informed decision to apply outside of London and whilst I had enjoyed the criminal work I found it more appealing to embrace a wider basis for junior practice. Alternatively, if I wanted to apply to a common law set in London, I'd take a), f) and c). That would show my committment to the capital, include an impressive minipupillage with the top-end set that showed my interest and aptitude for civil law, and show an informed choice that I wasn't simply "lured by the money" that accompanies chancery/commercial.

So, pick up a good variety but don't put them all on the form/CV. Tailor your choices so that you don't appear too confused, or too lazy/uninformed. Just like Goldilocks and the porridge, you want it to be 'just right'.
Reply 4
Original post by Kessler`
Over in England, hazelnote, it's generally a good idea to have between 2-4 minipupillages on your CV. It doesn't stop you doing as many as you can (and if you have the opportunities, take it) but you should tailor them to each chambers.
So, pick up a good variety but don't put them all on the form/CV. Tailor your choices so that you don't appear too confused, or too lazy/uninformed. Just like Goldilocks and the porridge, you want it to be 'just right'.

Ah I see how it works... thx Kessler :smile:
The only worry that I have then, is that it might be too tiring for summer... coz I dont know whether working through the summer months would make me too crazy for year 2...
Reply 5
The only worry that I have then, is that it might be too tiring for summer... coz I dont know whether working through the summer months would make me too crazy for year 2...

You prob wont get too tired - the days are short and you will just be following someone in court (although it can be an idea to take decent notes and offer to type them up for the barrister)
Reply 6

I have had a mini-pupillage in London where it was about half 8 until about half 6 each day. Despite that, it is not tiring unless you call proof reading, basic research for your own benefit, and stalking a barrister strenuous :tongue: . That was the most work I had to do on a mini too. In short, it won't be too tiring.
Reply 7
Original post by FMQ
You prob wont get too tired - the days are short and you will just be following someone in court (although it can be an idea to take decent notes and offer to type them up for the barrister)

Original post by ForKicks
I have had a mini-pupillage in London where it was about half 8 until about half 6 each day. Despite that, it is not tiring unless you call proof reading, basic research for your own benefit, and stalking a barrister strenuous :tongue: . That was the most work I had to do on a mini too. In short, it won't be too tiring.

Okay thanks for your help! xxxx
I had that concern because during the winter I marshalled a judge for three weeks and that was immensely tiring---attended his hearings and also others'; read his previous judgments, counsels' papers and had to draft my own stuff :P It was a lot of work when I had not even learned misrepresentation or vicarious liability but had to understand some agency law...
All the best to you!!! :smile:))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending