The Student Room Group

Woman beaten to death in America for wearing a hijab

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
It's wrong and the media always demonise the Muslim's and their faith.
Their has to be a counterbalance, but no one wants to speak out.
For people to hate a group of people due to an individual is stupidity and wrong.

its a horrible story of what intollerance can cause - but no doubt the perpetrator is the mirror image of a muslim like ajtiesto- drumming up and in this case, acting on intollerance.

The one difference is that you can be guaranteed that the USA will track down and bring to justice her killer- i would guess within a few days. Murders of non muslims in islamic countries often go unpunished and even lead to cheering muslims in the streets - cetainly no mass protest demonstrations like they have had in the US. Explanation?
Reply 141
She wasn't wearing a niqab, she was only wearing a hijab. Here is her picture

Shaima_AlAwadi1.jpg
Shaima Al Awadi

The daughter who found her mother told KUSI Channel 9/51 on Friday night that her mother had been beaten on the head repeatedly with a tire iron. She said her mother had dismissed the previous note, found outside the house, thinking it was a child’s prank.

A family friend, Sura Alzaidy, told UT San Diego (http://bit.ly/GYbfB7) that the attack apparently occurred after the father took the younger children to school.

Alawadi was found unconscious Wednesday morning in the dining room of the family’s home by her 17-year-old daughter. She was taken to a hospital, where she was diagnosed as brain-dead. Her family decided on Saturday to discontinue life support.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Burkhas etc are not to show they are associated with Islam, that has become a conclusion but not the reason why women wear hijab/burkhas etc. It is to show modesty. And what about nuns covering their hair and wearing a modest dressing code - that isn't to show their 'hierarchy' but the same principle of modesty. It's funny how its an issue when a female muslim does it, but not an issue when a nun does it :confused: besides why is the Virgin Mary wearing a veil in all of her paintings/portrayals? Nothing hierarchical about that.

Certainly. But it's showing modesty in a manner prescribed by (or at least associated with) Islam. That's not to say the Qu'ran requires it; I don't believe it does. What I'm saying is that it is perfectly possible to dress modestly in a long skirt and long sleeves but wearers of the burkha, hijab, niqab etc have taken the concious decision not to do that.

Well Islam hasn't made the mistake of allowing itself to be associated with anti-Western Islam, the problem is the other way around. Too much anti-Western violence is wrongly associated with Islam. Any half religious muslim would know killing innocents is wrong and in no way advocated in Islam.

Agreed. However, my point is that Islam, as a religion, is not speaking with a united voice, loudly enough, to tell the rest of the world that the terrorists are wrong. At the moment the world sees terrorists who associate themselves with Islam and the religion of Islam which seems happy to let them. The world leaders of Islam need to be spending significantly more time distancing themselves from the terrorists and emphasising areas of common ground with other religions. Until they can understand and achieve this, Islam will remain the religion of muslim extremists.

Also the point about allowing its followers to be too easily identified - being a muslim isn't a secret :s-smilie: and why should we be ashamed/afraid to be identified? I think the education aspect works both ways - to the Islamic Extremists who believe that Islam advocated things like suicide bombers to the Islamophobes who believe that it's a violent oppressive religion.

There is no reason why you should be ashamed or afraid of being identified. You have every right to be a muslim and to be identified as such. However, being so identified carries a stigma and until the leaders of your religion do something about it, it always will.

You can integrate perfectly fine by wearing a hijab, it doesn't socially stunt you or take away your ability to communicate.

The problem is with people like yourself - who seem to get freaked out by someone in a hijab and think they're from another planet when we're quite normal.

I play guitar, I love watching sci-fi and I've got lots of friends from different religious beliefs... and I wear a hijab. I've never had issues integrating with society - the issue has always been other people.

But I am not talking about a niqab - I think that is where the problems start. I personally don't see the point of wearing a niqab or the long burkha. And yes then I can perfectly understand the awkwardness.

No. You cannot integrate wearing a hijab because it is alien to our culture. That does not mean that either the hijab or its wearer are good or bad, right or wrong, it just means that it's alien. The problem with clothing is that pretty much every sort of clothing sends out some sort of message and usually it's a message that the wearer can't influence much. If you're walking down the street and see someone dressed like a chav, they probably didn't choose to look like a chav. They probably just liked those particular clothes and didn't realise that they were quite so chav-like. In the same way, even if it's not what you want, the message your hijab sends out is that, when it comes down to it, your religion comes first and integration is quite a nice idea but not one that matters all that much to you.

That is not integration; that's fooling yourself.

None of this means that you, as a person are necessarily any different from me, my neighbour or anyone else. What does you no credit is the idea that "the issue has always been other people" ie it's everybody's fault but your own. The common factor among all these people whose fault it is, is YOUR hijab. Think about that.

You make matters worse by suggesting that your alien clothing is fine but it's all the others who are wrong. The hijab is every bit as alien or foreign as the niqab or burkha. I entirely accept that it's not as intrusive but it is just as foreign. Thinking that you can have one and not the others is exactly the sort of thinking that causes the problems.

The truth is, if you choose to be different then you are choosing to be treated differently.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
As an atheist even I admit, that the biggest internet dicks usually turn out to be atheists. Can you not get away from someones religion for a second to relise an innocent women has been tragically murdered in cold blood?

I despise people like you.

Im not the one emphasising on the religion of this women, lets face it if this women wasn't a muslim would there even be a thread about her....
I'm not going to jump the gun here, whose to say this women is even innocent? you assume she was a saint because she was wearing a hijab.

'you despise people like me' - what makes me so evil? :teehee:

Original post by JackE5
from Muslims...? :confused:

yes... no one on the above posts said otherwise, which means I am right, right?
I took a leap of faith generalising, but I guess I'm atleast somewhat accurate :ahee:
Original post by zubz91
If this is whats happening in america, i Feel disgusted to think what must be going on in Afghanistan and Iraq

Then you (Americans) ask why do these guys bomb you? why do their children become so called 'terrorists'.
I suppose you have the answer

okay? so now all the muslims should unite and destroy america because of a single arab women murdered... nothing justifies terrorism, nothing justifies the killing of innocent people.
Reply 145
Original post by translucent
okay? so now all the muslims should unite and destroy america because of a single arab women murdered... nothing justifies terrorism, nothing justifies the killing of innocent people.

As you said, nothing justifies Killing of innocent people. You think the children of that woman would let this go? what did that woman do?

I clearly stated that it disgusts me to imagine what these people do in Afghanistan etc. where there is not much media coverage etc or in Guantanamo. killing innocent people is never okay and i would never support that, on the other hand killing american 'soldiers' most welcome.
Original post by zubz91
As you said, nothing justifies Killing of innocent people. You think the children of that woman would let this go? what did that woman do?

I clearly stated that it disgusts me to imagine what these people do in Afghanistan etc. where there is not much media coverage etc or in Guantanamo. killing innocent people is never okay and i would never support that, on the other hand killing american 'soldiers' most welcome.

So it'll be perfectly okay for that womens daughter to go on a shooting spree and kill every white person insight?

have you been watching those illuminati/arrivals videos on youtube :teehee: why don't you go and use your own head, american soldiers aren't the enemy, they're merely doing a job, who decided to go to war in afganistan in the first place? who ignited this war? in your eyes they would be the enemy, not the soldiers..
Reply 147
Original post by translucent
Im not the one emphasising on the religion of this women, lets face it if this women wasn't a muslim would there even be a thread about her....
I'm not going to jump the gun here, whose to say this women is even innocent? you assume she was a saint because she was wearing a hijab.

'you despise people like me' - what makes me so evil? :teehee:

yes... no one on the above posts said otherwise, which means I am right, right?
I took a leap of faith generalising, but I guess I'm atleast somewhat accurate :ahee:

Your not accurate, Muslim is not a country your not from Muslim, you ARE A Muslim. Just like someone is a Christian. :yes:
Original post by JackE5
Your not accurate, Muslim is not a country your not from Muslim, you ARE A Muslim. Just like someone is a Christian. :yes:

slander! I never said Muslim was a country
Original post by FrigidSymphony
Bull****. Attacking someone's faith is NOT attacking them, and if see it as such you're a touchy moron. I can respect you while not respecting your beliefs, in fact I can criticize your beliefs BECAUSE I respect you and don't wish to let you get away with idiocy in your head.

Yes it is considering the fact that they are the ones who are abiding by it and follwing. When someone's belief is a way of life, etc attacking the faith is an attack on their way of life so it's attacking them. There is an extent of how far you can go, when someone doesn't accept it then leave them be.
Original post by Felchingman
If only all people were intelligent. For most Afghans, Americans incarnate the devil, especially in regards to the recent shootings by a rogue soldier.

It's basically the same thing, but this time against the Americans instead of Muslims.

We all want to live in a perfect world, except it doesn't exist. So stop whining.

All people are intelligent depends on how they wish to see things, not everyone sees eye to eye.
Hence why Afghan's see American's in such a way is because they are generalising the American campaign in their country.

It's wrong, nor am I whining, I'm just saying people come to conclusion before looking at why things happened.
Yes it is considering the fact that they are the ones who are abiding by it and follwing. When someone's belief is a way of life, etc attacking the faith is an attack on their way of life so it's attacking them. There is an extent of how far you can go, when someone doesn't accept it then leave them be.

Punching you is very different from telling you your beliefs are *******s. It's something about the West that Muslims really don't get, and you absolutely need to if you want to integrate.
UGH!!! this is horrible :frown:
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
its a horrible story of what intollerance can cause - but no doubt the perpetrator is the mirror image of a muslim like ajtiesto- drumming up and in this case, acting on intollerance.

The one difference is that you can be guaranteed that the USA will track down and bring to justice her killer- i would guess within a few days. Murders of non muslims in islamic countries often go unpunished and even lead to cheering muslims in the streets - cetainly no mass protest demonstrations like they have had in the US. Explanation?

You can't use examples like "ajtiesto" because this is on-line we do not know what he is like in real-life without asking him.

Source for this?
Also there is no such thing as 'Islamic countries' there really isn't, they also use guidlines in accordance with sharia, however it's not full sharia meaning the laws aren't Islamic if it's pick and choose. Intolerance wrong, yes......but you can't bring in an outside topic which isn't exactly related. If you want to discuss this then make a thread on it.
Original post by FrigidSymphony
Punching you is very different from telling you your beliefs are *******s. It's something about the West that Muslims really don't get, and you absolutely need to if you want to integrate.

An attack doesn't necessarily have to be physical, an attack on someone's faith which is their way of life is an attack on them.
You can't make generalisation, Muslims do exist in harmony in the West....nor do we have to compromise our faith to do so........your on about cultural factors.
Reply 155
Welcome to Planet Earth.
You can't use examples like "ajtiesto" because this is on-line we do not know what he is like in real-life without asking him.

Source for this?
Also there is no such thing as 'Islamic countries' there really isn't, they also use guidlines in accordance with sharia, however it's not full sharia meaning the laws aren't Islamic if it's pick and choose. Intolerance wrong, yes......but you can't bring in an outside topic which isn't exactly related. If you want to discuss this then make a thread on it.

Given the various cases of extremist muslims in the uk and abroad- i would say the online persona of ajtiesto is pretty much spot on what we would expect in terms of profilingt. im sure there is an element of acting the big man on his pc, but then a few of these types have been picked up under terrorism charges too in the recent past have they not?

And if you are goin to use a nasty, isolated incident in the USA as an example of discrimination in western culture- why cant examples of such in islamic countries not be used for islamic culture? Unless you only ever want to look at issued with a blinkered view.
Equally i could point out the muslim countries where murdering a non muslim victim attracts a lower penalty than a muslim one. Any comment?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 157
Original post by meggs
But this did get me thinking... Have you ever seen a hindu terriorest?? or a Buddiest terrioust? Perhaps that is the reason why people are so prejudis towards muslims....

Ever heard of Aum Shinrikyo, Saffron Terror, 2006 Malegaon blasts, The Khmer Rouge or the Mecca Masjid bombing. I think you should think a bit more before you say something and do a little bit of research. Otherwise you come across either misinformed or slightly childish. I could go on forever, but I think I've made my point.

For example The Sinhala Buddhist groups have committed and encouraged violence against local Christians and Tamils

Please do a bit more research next time and maybe learn a bit more about the world you live in. x.

Sorry about coming across pretentious I get irritated very easily with common misconceptions.
All people are intelligent depends on how they wish to see things, not everyone sees eye to eye.
Hence why Afghan's see American's in such a way is because they are generalising the American campaign in their country.

It's wrong, nor am I whining, I'm just saying people come to conclusion before looking at why things happened.

We both agree on this, I'm just saying the world isn't changing any soon.
An attack doesn't necessarily have to be physical, an attack on someone's faith which is their way of life is an attack on them.
You can't make generalisation, Muslims do exist in harmony in the West....nor do we have to compromise our faith to do so........your on about cultural factors.

A physical attack is a crime. A challenge, or attack, on your beliefs is part of free speech and is a fundamental aspect to modern society. If you can't see this, you have no place in the West.

Quick Reply