The Student Room Group

Will being unable to take Higher Biology in 5th year put me at a disadvantage?

Well basically, I'm a Scottish student currently in S5 studying Higher French, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English and this year I was unable to take Higher Biology (which would've been my preference). I go to an extremely small high school where, being the only student wanting to do all three sciences at Higher, meant that my subjects didn't work in the options form.
However, I am able to take it in S6 while also studying AH Maths, Physics and Chemistry, which means I'm unable to do it at AH. Will this mean I'm likely to be rejected because I don't have it at Higher? On all university websites it seems to be unclear to me on if Biology is needed to be done at Higher in S5 or not...
does anyone know anything that could help? D: I tried asking my guidance/careers advisor but they were no help!
-currently panicking that my dream is ruined/postponed :frown: -
Reply 1
Original post by rawragee
Well basically, I'm a Scottish student currently in S5 studying Higher French, Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English and this year I was unable to take Higher Biology (which would've been my preference). I go to an extremely small high school where, being the only student wanting to do all three sciences at Higher, meant that my subjects didn't work in the options form.
However, I am able to take it in S6 while also studying AH Maths, Physics and Chemistry, which means I'm unable to do it at AH. Will this mean I'm likely to be rejected because I don't have it at Higher? On all university websites it seems to be unclear to me on if Biology is needed to be done at Higher in S5 or not...
does anyone know anything that could help? D: I tried asking my guidance/careers advisor but they were no help!
-currently panicking that my dream is ruined/postponed :frown: -

Hi, I'm not entirely familiar with the requirements for Scottish students, but look at the entry requirements for whichever dental schools you're looking at and if it's unclear then call them and ask.

If it makes you feel any better a friend of mine (at dental school) didn't do higher biology and he got offers :smile:
Reply 2
Nope, this definitely shouldn't put you at a disadvantage. Although AH maths, chemistry and physics plus higher biology is quite a lot of work!

The best thing to do is to phone the universities you plan on applying to and ask them what they advise! Then you can be sure you're making the best decision.
Reply 3
Original post by Ayshizzle
Hi, I'm not entirely familiar with the requirements for Scottish students, but look at the entry requirements for whichever dental schools you're looking at and if it's unclear then call them and ask.

If it makes you feel any better a friend of mine (at dental school) didn't do higher biology and he got offers :smile:

ooh which uni does he go too? that does make me feel better aha!

Original post by fuzzycloud
Nope, this definitely shouldn't put you at a disadvantage. Although AH maths, chemistry and physics plus higher biology is quite a lot of work!

The best thing to do is to phone the universities you plan on applying to and ask them what they advise! Then you can be sure you're making the best decision.

yay! although I'm debating not doing AH maths any more so I can ensure I get As in everything else :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rawragee
ooh which uni does he go too? that does make me feel better aha!

We're at Newcastle :biggrin: I can't remember what other uni's he got offers from though! If you;re unsure your best bet is to give them a call, they should be able to help you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest