The Student Room Group

OCR B F335 - Chemistry by Design - 13th June 2012

Hey everybody,

Thought I'd make this thread for all who are taking the F335 exam in June to share revisions tips, notes and ask questions/ for help!!

Feel free to discuss the topics and so on!!

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Princess Kawaii
Hey everybody,

Thought I'd make this thread for all who are taking the F335 exam in June to share revisions tips, notes and ask questions/ for help!!

Feel free to discuss the topics and so on!!

How are you finding it so far?
Original post by Freiheit
How are you finding it so far?

Well, with what we've done so far, which is not much I'm finding it okay, and surprisingly find the topic agriculture and industry interesting :biggrin:

We've been doing our investigation/project for the last month that's y

How are you finding it? ... When are u going to start revision for it? :smile:
Reply 3
Well, with what we've done so far, which is not much I'm finding it okay, and surprisingly find the topic agriculture and industry interesting :biggrin:

We've been doing our investigation/project for the last month that's y

How are you finding it? ... When are u going to start revision for it? :smile:

Agriculture and industry sounds horrible so I hope you are right lol. I started going through new chemical ideas chapters but the investigation went better than I expected.
Original post by Freiheit
Agriculture and industry sounds horrible so I hope you are right lol. I started going through new chemical ideas chapters but the investigation went better than I expected.

yeh it will be fine...we've just finished that topic :wink:
Thats great to hear...what topic did u investigate? Have u had any feedback for it yet?
We've just finished ours, deadline was the friday that just past. I feel sooo happy that its over!! lol :biggrin:
Reply 5
yeh it will be fine...we've just finished that topic :wink:
Thats great to hear...what topic did u investigate? Have u had any feedback for it yet?
We've just finished ours, deadline was the friday that just past. I feel sooo happy that its over!! lol :biggrin:

A lot of storylines for agriculture :tongue: . I done a kinetics one and haven't received any feedback yet. Must be so free as your investigation is over.
Reply 6
Hey guys! I have started revision on Chemical Ideas - hoping to do a few chapters this weekend. Storylines terrifies me lol, there seems to be so much for this exam, hoping I don't need most of it?! I never know how to use this book.

Any tips?
So revision has just started...chemical ideas takes forever so I've resorted to studying from the CGP book <3
Agriculture and Industry is finished...apart from the nitrogen cycle stuff
Going to start on Chemistry by design soon :smile:
Reply 8
-EDIT deleted.
Reply 9
I've been revising the modules of F335 regularly so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. But earlier today I tried doing a full past paper and I just couldn't really answer anything. Put me off so revising so now I'm just sitting around doing nothing :frown:
So revision has just started...chemical ideas takes forever so I've resorted to studying from the CGP book <3

Same! I don't like using chemical ideas.
CGP revision guide :yy:
Original post by SimpleGirl
Same! I don't like using chemical ideas.
CGP revision guide :yy:

:yy: Yeah CGP is truly awesome!! Barely misses a thing!! :smile:
Looked through a couple of past papers for this unit and all I can say is WAAT?! I wasn't able to answer any of the questions apart from the 1 mark define the words questions :frown:

My "A" is no more in Chemistry. Thank you OCR :biggrin:

Oh does anybody understand the organic synthesis part? Retrosynthesis? Its part of Module 4 Medicines by Desgin
Reply 13
Hey I was hoping someone would make a thread for this. So far F335 seems better than F334 and way better than F336. I hope they dont throw another terrible paper like the jan f334 one at us again. So far weve done CD and MD and have just started the oceans. The oceans looks boring. I found medicines by design interesting because its really just synoptic apart from nmr, but all those stupid organic reactions. Ive spent the easter holiday learning them all and just looked through the jan f335 paper and only used the organic reactions once for a 2 mark question...... Feeling really pissed off - they better come up in this exam
OCR just seem to love questions on intermolecular bonding - why does this have this boiling point? and why is this soluble?
Original post by Einy

OCR just seem to love questions on intermolecular bonding - why does this have this boiling point? and why is this soluble?

Yeah, this is true. :doh:
Reply 15
Original post by SimpleGirl
I've been revising the modules of F335 regularly so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. But earlier today I tried doing a full past paper and I just couldn't really answer anything. Put me off so revising so now I'm just sitting around doing nothing :frown:

I can't answer any of the questions either :eek:

Which CGP book do you use, I want a good revision guide. Revised loads for F334 and ended up with a C, really want to get a high A in this paper.

Anyone got any good websites for revision?
Original post by Einy
Hey I was hoping someone would make a thread for this. So far F335 seems better than F334 and way better than F336. I hope they dont throw another terrible paper like the jan f334 one at us again. So far weve done CD and MD and have just started the oceans. The oceans looks boring. I found medicines by design interesting because its really just synoptic apart from nmr, but all those stupid organic reactions. Ive spent the easter holiday learning them all and just looked through the jan f335 paper and only used the organic reactions once for a 2 mark question...... Feeling really pissed off - they better come up in this exam

F334 was horrible!! I got a C so I'm re-taking it hopefully it won't be as bad as Jan's paper. I find Oceans boring too and Chemistry by Design esp the dyes section. Yeah!! Intermolecular seems to come up in every single paper AS and A2!

Original post by hash007

Which CGP book do you use, I want a good revision guide. Revised loads for F334 and ended up with a C, really want to get a high A in this paper.

Ditto! Can't do any of the questions :confused:

There's only one CGP book which is dedicated to OCR Salters Chemistry (it's like an orange and black book) check it out on Amazon or book store :smile:
I also got a C but it was my fault I didn't revise much for it but it was a really hard paper so didn't really help, so I've decided to re-take it.

Umm one website I've seen is chemguide.co.uk
Hope that helped :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by hash007

The CGP revision guide is quite good to summarise things but I think you still need to go through all the relevant chapters of Chemical Ideas to have a good foundation. I haven't been able to find any good websites though.
Original post by hash007

I've been revising my other subjects because I was so put off by not being able to answer anything :frown: I'll give F335 another go tomorrow.
You've already sat the F334 paper? I hate it when you revise like crazy and you're somewhat confident but you end up with a lower grade. How comes you only got a C then - was the paper difficult, questions just threw students etc?

This is the CGP revision guide:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/A2-Level-Chemistry-OCR-Revision-Guide/dp/1847622682/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334166194&sr=8-3

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
*subscribes*

Quick Reply