The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6720
Original post by Cll_ws
I've just started playing FM2012, after not playing the game for a few years.
Can anybody offer any advice as to things I should look to alter and change when I first start playing? I don't feel i've gone too deep into things like training schedules and tactics, so anything along these lines that I might be overlooking that are actually very important?

I've started with Villa, and results have been a bit all over the place. In pre-season I managed to lose to my own reserve team, struggle against Gateshead and scrape a 1-0 win. But then I beat Malaga, Roma and Oxford convincingly. In the league i've started out okay, winning 3, drawing 2 and losing 1 so far. I won my first league cup game, but then lost to Arsenal in the following round 2-1 after they scored in the 120th minute!
It doesn't help that Villa start with a wage bill already over your allowed wage budget, and only 3 million to spend! And that in the first couple of games of the season Agbonlahor got injured and is out for 5 months, and then Bent, N'Zogbia, Warnock and Cuellar all got injured for 1 month+. I've only got Weimann to play upfront! And no left winger! :|

I bought Taraabt from QPR, but the fans seem to hate him ha. And Guti on a free transfer who's been awesome so far. Sold Heskey and Ireland, which got the wage bill down a little.

So yeah, i'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me with regards to the finer details!

Taraabt always underperforms for me. I don't tend to buy any player (unless their other stats are insane) with workrate and teamwork below 13.

My primary formation is 4-3-3 with a DM, a ball winning mid and a deep lying playmaker with 2 attacking wingers set to inside forward, and a TM or a poacher (depending on my strikers preference).
I set my play to counter and concede very few goals, tending to score 2-3 per game on average.

When I have a low wage bill and transfer budget I like to rely on talented youth players to bulk out my squad.
Say this is my squad (players in brackets are the replacements/subs)
GK:
DR: 2 young (get Vrsaljko if you can, or Romario)
DC: 1 or 2 experienced, 2-3 young
DL: 2 young
DM: 1 experienced (1 young)
BWM: 2x young
DLP: 1 experienced (1 young)
AMs: 1-2 experienced (2-3 young)
ST: 1 experienced (1 young)

I like to keep my squads quite small, but that's just a personal preference. I'll have 2 players for each position, plus 3-5 extra players to fill in for long-term absentees through injury etc.

You can sign wonderkids for £1-5million each and they never usually want more than £15k per week yet still perform well, and can be sold for a profit a few years down the line (I tend to get them on 5 year contracts and try to renew them 2 years before they expire. If they want a huge wage rise I'll put them up for sale at that point, and if they don't I'll sign them up for another 5 years to ensure that I get another 3 playing years out of them before I sell them on for a profit).
I recommend getting good scouts and good coaches (scouts especially important if you want to hunt down the cheap talent). If you load the Brazillian premier division you'll get lots of excellent coaches and scouts loaded into your system who don't want high wages (usually £500-1000 per week, compared to £10,000 per week for a typical coach of the same quality from Germany).

Oh and also be careful when signing Brazillian wonderkids : sometimes they don't actually arrive until 2 years after you signed them because of their strange rules. I didn't notice that in my first season to my cost lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6721
Original post by Nut.
Whooooops, almost fell ill of the 8 HG players rule!

Have built up Boreham Wood to the PL and just got taken over by a rich chairman (:coma:).

Went on a rather extravagant shopping spree, stealing some absolute gems from Italy and Spain in the 20-24 age group and sold a bunch of English players. Quickly had to rectify by buying Jack Butland as a back up and promoting one of my HG youth players, whom I suspect will get annoyed quickly at the lack of game time he'll get, being as bad a player as he is... :tongue:

Board have set me a minimum target of CL qualification this season, just 2 years after promotion to the EPL. :lolwut:
Maybe I shouldn't have improved my squad so much...
You didn't have to do promoting and buying in. If you don't have enough players to meet the rules, just register fewer players. So if you only have 6 HG players over the age of 21/22 then just register 23 players rather than 25. That's completely allowed :yes: Same applies to the rules for the Champions League and any other thing where certain requirements must be met - if nobody meets them, leave spots unfilled.

Registering youth players is a complete waste since they never need to be registered to be eligible to play anyway.

Original post by Nut.
Oh and also be careful when signing Brazillian wonderkids : sometimes they don't actually arrive until 2 years after you signed them because of their strange rules. I didn't notice that in my first season to my cost lol.
And that's not "their strange rules", that's a FIFA regulation that applies to signing players from/to any nation outside the EU; up until the age of 17 they can only move between clubs in the same country, then they can move abroad once they're 18. It doesn't apply when transferring youngsters between countries within the EU because it'd be in violation of EU law (it's prohibiting free movement of labour within the EU)
Reply 6722
Original post by Dalimyr
You didn't have to do promoting and buying in. If you don't have enough players to meet the rules, just register fewer players. So if you only have 6 HG players over the age of 21/22 then just register 23 players rather than 25. That's completely allowed :yes: Same applies to the rules for the Champions League and any other thing where certain requirements must be met - if nobody meets them, leave spots unfilled.

Registering youth players is a complete waste since they never need to be registered to be eligible to play anyway.

And that's not "their strange rules", that's a FIFA regulation that applies to signing players from/to any nation outside the EU; up until the age of 17 they can only move between clubs in the same country, then they can move abroad once they're 18. It doesn't apply when transferring youngsters between countries within the EU because it'd be in violation of EU law (it's prohibiting free movement of labour within the EU)

I meant FIFA when I said "their strange rules", I was just being tongue in cheek. Maybe that wasn't clear enough. :erm:

Edit: And I only did the promoting and buying for the FM achievement... I wasn't moaning about it, just made a post...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6723
Original post by Nut.
Taraabt always underperforms for me. I don't tend to buy any player (unless their other stats are insane) with workrate and teamwork below 13.

When I have a low wage bill and transfer budget I like to rely on talented youth players to bulk out my squad.
Say this is my squad (players in brackets are the replacements/subs)
GK:
DR: 2 young (get Vrsaljko if you can, or Romario)
DC: 1 or 2 experienced, 2-3 young
DL: 2 young
DM: 1 experienced (1 young)
BWM: 2x young
DLP: 1 experienced (1 young)
AMs: 1-2 experienced (2-3 young)
ST: 1 experienced (1 young)

Yeah I probably should of looked into it more before signing him! He's played 5 games so far and constantly has the "doesn't look interested" or "is in danger of losing discipline" during games. But he did score an incredible goal on his debut! Shame that wasn't enough for the fans, and the board as well who say they aren't happy with the signing.

The one good thing about Villa is the very good young players. Weimann, Clark, Bannan, Gardener, Lichaj are all getting regular game time. Weimann seems capable of scoring regularly in the Premiership alongside Bent, and Gardener scored and awesome goal against Arsenal!

I think I just need to see a season through and hopefully i'll do well, get the wage bill down and get given a bit more money.

I don't think I can load up any other leagues right now, as i'm only on the demo, i've ordered the game online though and it'll arrive in the next couple of days, so I can continue the game on after the demo which is only half a season long
Reply 6724
Original post by Cll_ws
Yeah I probably should of looked into it more before signing him! He's played 5 games so far and constantly has the "doesn't look interested" or "is in danger of losing discipline" during games. But he did score an incredible goal on his debut! Shame that wasn't enough for the fans, and the board as well who say they aren't happy with the signing.

The one good thing about Villa is the very good young players. Weimann, Clark, Bannan, Gardener, Lichaj are all getting regular game time. Weimann seems capable of scoring regularly in the Premiership alongside Bent, and Gardener scored and awesome goal against Arsenal!

I think I just need to see a season through and hopefully i'll do well, get the wage bill down and get given a bit more money.

I don't think I can load up any other leagues right now, as i'm only on the demo, i've ordered the game online though and it'll arrive in the next couple of days, so I can continue the game on after the demo which is only half a season long

Have you experimented with what you say to him during HT talks?

He might respond better to a "calm" tone as opposed to an "assertive" (or vice versa).
I'd imagine that "aggressive" would annoy him, if they've made him like he is IRL :tongue:
Reply 6725
Haven't played FM since my last Lazio post in here. I've done it all and just can't get back into it although I want to have a save again? Dilemma's huh?
Reply 6726
Out of interest what do people say to their players pre-match?
And what reaction d'you get?
D'you always say something?

Mention which team you're managing aswell please :P
Original post by Mo-Amin
Out of interest what do people say to their players pre-match?
And what reaction d'you get?
D'you always say something?

Mention which team you're managing aswell please :P

It depends, if im away to a big team (Milan/Inter/Juve) I say to them that they're the underdogs and should play without pressure, for most of the other games I tell them that I expect a win. Both are said assertively and 9/10 most of the team looks happy/fired up/motivated.

This works with both Milan and Napoli for me.
Reply 6728
Original post by Nut.
Have you experimented with what you say to him during HT talks?

Yeah i've tried a few different things. I've managed to get a "looks motivated" a couple of times. But now i'm mostly playing him from the bench! haha

With regards to the game, it's nice to see that it hasn't changed since I last played it 3/4 years ago. Beat Arsenal away 1-0 after being labelled as massive underdogs, and then lose to Wolves 3-0 and Stoke 1-0 in consecutive matches :angry: both are right down the bottom
Reply 6729
Original post by CB91
It depends, if im away to a big team (Milan/Inter/Juve) I say to them that they're the underdogs and should play without pressure, for most of the other games I tell them that I expect a win. Both are said assertively and 9/10 most of the team looks happy/fired up/motivated.

This works with both Milan and Napoli for me.

Fair enough, do they ever get bored of that, so to speak?

I usually expect a win (but in varying manners), but for the fans if it's a big derby. It's really hit and miss though, I get a few positive reactions, no negatives either but most of the team seem to not have a reaction at all.

I picked up Ganso for ~£35mil, in his first PL appearance in the derby against Man City he scored his first goal which was the winner :sogood: Hope he becomes worth it.
Original post by Cll_ws

Am I right in saying you're talking about Taarabt?

I had him on a previous save at Villa. He's a bit hit and miss. First season he scored 10 goals from AM, which I was delighted with, but only managed a solitary assist.
He's quite selfish and generally shoots from range. I had injury trouble with him and when he recovered he put in a transfer request because I hadn't played him for 3 matches due to poor fitness. He's a problem player. I'd suggest sticking with Ireland/N'Zogbia in AM, or ironing out his poor attributes.
Speaking of N'Zogbia, how are you getting on with him?
I found him to be extremely poor on the left, I had Albrighton/Shaqiri on the right. Ended up getting dropped, offered him a loan out, asked for a transfer, booted into the reserves (he was crap in the reserves as well). Warnock left the following summer so I gave him the #3 shirt and stuck him at left back, where he was still mediocre at best, Clark and even a reserve I bought from Chelsea still outperformed him. Had a couple of games in AM/LW/RW (due to easy cup ties and injury crisis) and started to get better (lost my save after that).
Original post by Mo-Amin
Fair enough, do they ever get bored of that, so to speak?

I usually expect a win (but in varying manners), but for the fans if it's a big derby. It's really hit and miss though, I get a few positive reactions, no negatives either but most of the team seem to not have a reaction at all.

I picked up Ganso for ~£35mil, in his first PL appearance in the derby against Man City he scored his first goal which was the winner :sogood: Hope he becomes worth it.

Players' personalities play a bigger role now, wrt the team talk. Some players are self motivating and just need a 'vote of confidence' by saying you have faith in them - Messi is like that, as is Iniesta.

As well as the overall team talk I tend to talk to players who showed no reaction, depending on their position - if a GK doesn't react then I just leave him to it, but if a key player doesn't then I try to motivate them esp if it's either a derby or a tough away game.

If your team is playing below par then try holding a team meeting to bring them back in line. Are you fining under-performing players after matches? Sometimes that'll spur them into a good run of form.
Everton isn’t really proving a challenge anymore so I’m considering a move to another league/ team, preferably outside of England as my last 4 teams across fm10/11/12 finished their life in the EPL. I was thinking of fallen giant teams like deportivo, nantes, sampdoria or something. Anybody know of good teams to manage? Quite like the team to have a good history and solid fan base yet excruciatingly painful finances in a division other than the top.
Original post by Llamageddon
Everton isn’t really proving a challenge anymore so I’m considering a move to another league/ team, preferably outside of England as my last 4 teams across fm10/11/12 finished their life in the EPL. I was thinking of fallen giant teams like deportivo, nantes, sampdoria or something. Anybody know of good teams to manage? Quite like the team to have a good history and solid fan base yet excruciatingly painful finances in a division other than the top.

Torino, Bari, Celta Vigo, Monaco.
Reply 6734
Original post by Kevmeister
Torino, Bari, Celta Vigo, Monaco.

Torino's a good shout. Nothing like re-building Ill Grande Torino.
Original post by zxh800
Torino's a good shout. Nothing like re-building Ill Grande Torino.

Weirdly in a network game with my friend who is running napoli, torino got immediate promotion for the second season and are top of the table at christmas on an unbeaten run :s
Reply 6736
Original post by jackf1337
Am I right in saying you're talking about Taarabt?

I had him on a previous save at Villa. He's a bit hit and miss. First season he scored 10 goals from AM, which I was delighted with, but only managed a solitary assist.
He's quite selfish and generally shoots from range. I had injury trouble with him and when he recovered he put in a transfer request because I hadn't played him for 3 matches due to poor fitness. He's a problem player. I'd suggest sticking with Ireland/N'Zogbia in AM, or ironing out his poor attributes.
Speaking of N'Zogbia, how are you getting on with him?
I found him to be extremely poor on the left, I had Albrighton/Shaqiri on the right. Ended up getting dropped, offered him a loan out, asked for a transfer, booted into the reserves (he was crap in the reserves as well). Warnock left the following summer so I gave him the #3 shirt and stuck him at left back, where he was still mediocre at best, Clark and even a reserve I bought from Chelsea still outperformed him. Had a couple of games in AM/LW/RW (due to easy cup ties and injury crisis) and started to get better (lost my save after that).

Yeah it was Taarabt I was talking about. He played pretty well for a couple of matches, but then his performances dropped. I'm playing him from the bench mostly now and may look to get rid of him.
Although he did say recently that he's looking to make a name for himself at Villa after he was overlooked for the Morocco squad!

N'Zogbia's actually playing really well, he's one of my most dangerous players. He was injured for a month so he's only played about 8 games, but if I remember rightly he's got 6 assists and 3 goals, which isn't bad! That's from a left attacking midfield role.
Albrighton is also awesome on the right side, he scores quite a lot of goals. He won September player of the month last month as well!
Reply 6737
I just went back on the game and found that I didn't save it before I quit last time I played, luckily it only meant I went 1 game back, and that was a 3-0 loss to Wolves.
So I just played it again and lost 4-1! I genuinely don't know what i'm doing wrong, are some games made so that i'll just never win them no matter what I do?
Wolves were 3-1 up after 16 minutes! and Ebanks-Blake had a hattrick before half time!

I really don't know. I don't understand how I can beat Arsenal, but concede 5 goals to Blackburn and 4 to Wolves! Nothing I try seems to work against these underdog teams. I wouldn't say it's any sort of complacency or anything, and i've tried a defensive-counter approach, and i've tried a fluid attacking approach. It's like i'm just not meant to win, and if that's the case then what's the point of playing?!
Reply 6738
It's my birthday (IRL) tomorrow and I'm about 2-3 weeks behind it in the game calendar :P I won the title on my birthday (in game birthday) and I thought it would mention something like that - the game system is pretty intelligent - but nought :frown:
Reply 6739
Can I just check: the lowest English leagues in FM are Bet Square North and Bet Square South right?
Because I can't see a league lower than that, yet I've led Boreham Wood from BSS to the PL in consecutive promotions and haven't had the FM achievement :s-smilie:

Latest