The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have 8 hours of contact time a week, and I'm 3rd year... but I then have to spend quite a few hours every day in the library, so it's not all fun and games.
13 hours of lectures/workshops a week, doing Psychology at Northumbria.

Extra work? Varies a lot. I should probably do another 10 hours outside of uni, but I have a job too and I'm quite lazy, so I never do as much as I should!
Reply 3
10-12 hours of lectures per week...should be studying atleast 20-30 hours per week...i only did 5 and now im ****tin myself :biggrin:
Biochem.

Whoops forgot practicals...those were like 5 hours long each forgot how many...there were loads.
13 hours a week of tutorials/lectures doing maths. We're supposed to do 30 hours a week at home, though. I've never quite managed that. :biggrin:
Reply 5
12 hours in 1st and 2nd years, 8 in 3rd

Required quite a bit of extra time reading etc. per week esp in 2nd and 3rd years. Increased around assignment time. There wasn't a set amount of work in hours per week that I did - it's more however I much I needed to
Reply 6
I'm really shocked at people saying they have 8-12 hours of contact time/week.

I had a minimum of 28 hours/week as an engineer.

You guys are not getting value for money.
Reply 7
8 hours of lectures with a 160 of us in each.Money well spent .....
Reply 8
Original post by hanaxo
8 hours of lectures with a 160 of us in each.Money well spent .....

Better spent that what the new lot will be paying...
Reply 9
Original post by Inkerman

Don't worry, you're not along! Doing chemistry I had a similar amount in contact time each week. Definitely teaches you how to manage your time!
Reply 10

There are very good courses such as medicine and dentistry at some unis (PBL schools) which only offer about 10 hours of contact time a week! i dont get how this is? wheres the 9k per student going.. also some schools have about ~400 (manchester i think) so if all attended the lecture (which they probably do seeing as they have such few! plus these are medics we're talking about....) really poor value for money?! how is this even happening.....
I'm doing PPE and am in 2nd year with 10 hours p/w
Reply 12
Around 26 hours contact time, there are also drop in sessions so is really more than that.
Out of contact work, around 8 hours a week, with weekly coursework, lab reports and exam revision.
Reply 13
Original post by tpxvs
There are very good courses such as medicine and dentistry at some unis (PBL schools) which only offer about 10 hours of contact time a week! i dont get how this is? wheres the 9k per student going.. also some schools have about ~400 (manchester i think) so if all attended the lecture (which they probably do seeing as they have such few! plus these are medics we're talking about....) really poor value for money?! how is this even happening.....

Because the vast majority of the costs of the course are not spent on lectures. I don't know the exact figures for medicine, but for chemistry the ballpark figure that gets thrown around is £22,000 per student, per year for an undergraduate degree. Medicine is commonly accepted to cost the university more than that.

£9,000 a year for that doesn't sound so bad now :smile:.
Second year doing Zoo Biology (Zoology basically, a little more applied then some courses I imagine). It can change by 1-2 hours a week depending on practicals, timetable changes etc. But generally...around 12 hours a week. We had about the same in year 1 and by the sounds of it, we'll have similar in year 3.

Work I do outside of that apart from doing assessed work? Well erm....erm........oh look..it's sunny outside.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Psychology with Crime Studies

In first year I had ten hours of contact time altogether, and studied 4 modules.

In terms of hours spent doing work outside uni per week I normally do about 12 hours, depending on the assignment and when it's due.
(edited 11 years ago)

Meh, most folk would probably rather have an easy degree and more pub time
Reply 17
Computing- UCLan 1st year

15 hours a week, and it varies as to how much work I do outside of class.
Reply 18
Oxford Engineering.. It's 10 hours of lectures, 5 hours of labs, 2 to 3 tutorials (about 4 - 5 hours) a week and private study, I try to do 6 - 8 hours a day!
Reply 19
4th year chemistry. 9-6 every day in the lab with 13 Hours of lectures included in that.

Don't do a MChem, it eats your soul and your sanity...

Latest