The Student Room Group

I've always wanted to do a physics degree but..

I've loved physics ever since I can remember. I love reading physics books and learning about new things, and I'd love to do a physics degree.

I'm in year 12, and currently doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths AS-levels.
I don't want to continue maths to A2, because I hate the curriculum.
I don't hate maths, and I'm not bad at maths either, I just find it hard to revise or concentrate in maths because I hate the course content.

Is doing physics with a foundation year so I don't have to do maths A-level a good idea? Or is dropping maths a stupid idea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you hate the course content?

oh pull yourself together. If you want to do physics, you'll do the damn maths. Stop complaining...
Reply 2
All the things on the maths A2 + further maths level curriculum are required as every day basic tools doing university physics, there's no way out of it i'm afraid. What exactly is wrong with the syllabus?
Reply 3
Original post by Pride

oh pull yourself together. If you want to do physics, you'll do the damn maths. Stop complaining...

There's no need to be a dick about it.
Reply 4
Original post by a.partridge
All the things on the maths A2 + further maths level curriculum are required as every day basic tools doing university physics, there's no way out of it i'm afraid. What exactly is wrong with the syllabus?

I'm doing OCR MEI maths and think it's ridiculously boring!
Reply 5
Original post by Pride

Totally agree. There will probably be parts of the physics degree that don't totally take your fancy, but you will still have to do it. Just get on with it, it's only a year.
Reply 6
Its a very stupid idea.

It wouldn't be that surprising if you followed an A-level textbook during a foundation year.

You do realise how mathematical a physics degree is?
Original post by EmmaJane_
I've loved physics ever since I can remember. I love reading physics books and learning about new things, and I'd love to do a physics degree.

I'm in year 12, and currently doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths AS-levels.
I don't hate maths, and I'm not bad at maths either, I just find it hard to revise or concentrate in maths because I hate the course content.

Is doing physics with a foundation year so I don't have to do maths A-level a good idea? Or is dropping maths a stupid idea?

A foundation year would mean you are paying 9k to do A level Maths again.

You can't get around doing A2 level Maths.

Every foundation year would be the same content.

Personally if you hate the content on the Maths course don't do Physics. As pretty much you are going to be doing the same type of Maths, but at a higher level.

So decide if you want to do Physics, if yes then do Maths A2. If no, then drop maths.

P.S. In general Maths skills are the most important skill. All the Maths you do on A2 should be easy to you if you want to not fail a Physics degree. If you can't study something you consider tedious, which is essential to Physics, then just give up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
There's no need to be a dick about it.

I think my post had the correct level of harshness.
Reply 9
Original post by Simplicity
A foundation year would mean you are paying 9k to do A level Maths again.

You can't get around doing A2 level Maths.

Every foundation year would be the same content.

Personally if you hate the content on the Maths course don't do Physics. As pretty much you are going to be doing the same type of Maths, but at a higher level.

So decide if you want to do Physics, if yes then do Maths A2. If no, then drop maths.

P.S. In general Maths skills are the most important skill. All the Maths you do on A2 should be easy to you if you want to not fail a Physics degree. If you can't study something you consider tedious, which is essential to Physics, then just give up.

Well thanks for the advice, but seriously you and the other people on this thread could be a bit nicer about it! I just wanted advice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
A foundation year is an extra year at uni, so £9k tuition fees, + accommodation, + living costs, - 1 year's earning potential. How much is not doing a maths A2 worth to you? (Not to mention you'll probably restrict your choice of universities to an extent, and an admissions tutor is likely to wonder why you're not doing A2 maths).
Reply 11
Original post by Pride
I think my post had the correct level of harshness.

Why did you need to be harsh though?
Reply 12

well to make sure you understood that you really do need to deal with the fact that you'll get bored of some of what you're learning.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well thanks for the advice, but seriously you and the other people on this thread could be a bit nicer about it! I just wanted advice.

Sorry about being mean. But, it's the truth.

If you drop Maths, then personally don't do Physics.

Every bloody Physics course has A level Maths requirement. You have to learn the material.

When you apply to uni's please don't write I hate A level Maths as they would rip your application up.
Reply 15
Original post by Simplicity
When you apply to uni's please don't write I hate A level Maths as they would rip your application up.

How stupid do you think I am?
I hate doing all the modules associated with core maths, like stats/decision etc.
Reply 16

Very very very stupid idea. Don't do physics if you won't do maths. You'll need to think about if you really want to do physics, if you do then definitely do maths, heck i would even recommend further maths but that's a personal preference i guess but there's no way out of doing maths for physics.
Reply 17
I hate doing all the modules associated with core maths, like stats/decision etc.

All of a third of the qualification?

Not to mention you could take the mechanics modules which is very much physics maths and directly relevant.
Reply 18
Original post by mucgoo
All of a third of the qualification?

Not to mention you could take the mechanics modules which is very much physics maths and directly relevant.

Maths doesn't come easily to me, it takes an awful lot of work to get a decent grade. Guess I won't do a physics degree.

Why aren't you doing M1/C1/C2, then M2/C3/C4. It's weird to do stats/decision if you are doing Physics A level.

Stats is actually really fundamental in understanding Quantum Mechanics. You will likely have to do this in more depth in the first year in a Mathematical methods course.

But, yeah if you can't do Maths you hate, then stick to reading popular science books. I mean it. If you give up A level Maths, then don't bother doing Physics. Everyone would agree with me here.

Quick Reply