The Student Room Group

F584 Transport Economics June 2012

Thought I'd start off a revision thread for the Transport exam.

Any thoughts on possible questions? My teacher seems to think it'll be on the airline industry :holmes:

EDIT: Or HS2.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Other people better be taking this exam :L

Here is the Tutor2u guide that covers the entire course - http://www.sendspace.com/file/6i0qx2

What makes your teacher believe it will be on that?
Reply 2
Yeah, hope so too.

The airline industry hasn't come up for a while and he thinks HS2 might also be possible because, the papers are usually written about a year in advance and HS2 has been in the news quite frequently in the past year.

Thanks for the guide, but I've already got a copy :yy: Did you do this exam in January too? Resitting this, need bang on 90 UMS to get an A* :beard:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
This is my first time doing this exam. I find this hard to revise as Transport isn't the most interesting of topics - in my opinion. Do you have any other resources?
Reply 4
Transport really is a dull module. I mainly use my notes to revise tbh, don't really use anything else. What does your teacher think might come up?
Reply 5
I have a strong feeling that the COBA model will come up on this exam. I'm just hoping that for section B there will be two questions about market failure! I prefer that than all the other topics :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by SL25
I have a strong feeling that the COBA model will come up on this exam. I'm just hoping that for section B there will be two questions about market failure! I prefer that than all the other topics :s-smilie:

I actually hate COBA tbh. How's your revision going?
Reply 7
I love COBA!!! Its the easiest topic to talk about" :biggrin:
Reply 8
Yeah, guess it is; not sure why I dislike it so much though.

Hoping for another road pricing essay :dice:
Reply 9
Original post by don'tTRIP.
I actually hate COBA tbh. How's your revision going?

Will be doing a lot more this week. Have really been prioritizing other subjects. But I need a B minimum in this exam :s-smilie:. I guess the only thing I struggle in transport is bringing in actual examples. I don't read much on transport news so I'm kind of a rookie in that area.
Reply 10
Low cost airlines haven't been tested yet, have they?
Reply 11
There might be something on privatisation, deregulation or the COBA model.
Reply 12
Hi, I'm really stuck on allocative efficiency and how to show it on the diagram - please can someone tell me if this is where allocative efficiency is achieved (at point X on the diagram where marginal cost is at average revenue).
Thank you!
Economics.jpg
Reply 13
Original post by Helendd
Hi, I'm really stuck on allocative efficiency and how to show it on the diagram - please can someone tell me if this is where allocative efficiency is achieved (at point X on the diagram where marginal cost is at average revenue).
Thank you!
Economics.jpg

Yep, allocative efficiency is achieved where MC=AR :smile:
Reply 14
thank you :smile:
Reply 15
My teacher says that because I retook National and International Economy, I cannot get an A*.
And he says that to get it, one would need 90% in both A2 modules, not an average.

Is this true?
Reply 16
Original post by DymentriX
My teacher says that because I retook National and International Economy, I cannot get an A*.
And he says that to get it, one would need 90% in both A2 modules, not an average.

Is this true?

I'm pretty sure you can retake as many times as you want, as long as you get an A in your AS year and 90% average in A2 you can get an A*.
Reply 17
This is the most dull module I've ever done at school, I find it so hard to revise.
Reply 18
Original post by ChazDaSpaz
I'm pretty sure you can retake as many times as you want, as long as you get an A in your AS year and 90% average in A2 you can get an A*.

You don't need an A in your AS year. You need to get an A overall (so at least 320 UMS) as well as 180 UMS overall in your A2 year. That could be 100 on F585 and 80 on F584 or whatever.
Reply 19
Was just flicking through the syllabus and saw this; "discuss how transport policy can meet future needs and requirements, including recent EU policy initiatives in areas such as freight transport"

We haven't done much work on sustainability in class and from what I gather, it hasn't really been examined much. Anyone know of any recent EU policy initiatives? :indiff:

Quick Reply