The Student Room Group

Some people just make me sick

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-rape-dismissal-20120526,0,2765187.story

Before I start, I know that this is a case from the US, but this happens in every country and there have been some high profile cases over here.

Baiscally 15 year old girl accuses 16 year old black high school football player of rape. He goes to prison for 5 years plus another 5 on probation, plus he had to register on the sex offenders register. She receives a $1.5 million dollar payout from the school district for not providing her with a "safe environment".

So 10 years later she contacts him saying she wants to reconcile. Yet she refuses to admit her rape claim was false. He secretly records her confession and gets all his convictions quashed.

He still dreams of playing professional football but it is definitely a long shot. She basically ruined his life as he was a very promising player in high school who definitely could have gone pro.

Courts have said they will in all likelihood not prosecute her, and the school district said that they would not be able to get back the payments they made. This just disgusts me, she is one of the biggest pieces of scum I have ever heard of. Her actions are indefensible.

She should have to spend at least as long in prison as he did and she should have to pay the $1.5 million she received to him as well. These cases just disgust me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It just goes to show- it's so easy for a kid to make an accusation and ruin someones life because people think that 'kids don't lie' but they do.
It really is terrible.
Reply 2
its disgusting, people like this are the reason real rape cases are not taken seriously.
Reply 3

I feel sorry for the accused person
Reply 4
Bitch!
Reply 5
Original post by loulou111
its disgusting, people like this are the reason real rape cases are not taken seriously.

I totally agree.
Reply 6
How could they have even got a successful conviction for this in the first place.

Poor guy she ruined his life.
People like her should recieve sentences every bit as harsh as the one she falsely imposed on that poor boy - his life is ruined. Mud sticks.
When you say "these cases disgust me", which cases do you mean specifically? Because this case could fall into many different categories.

Do you mean false accusations of rape or false imprisonments in general?

Edit: the most disgusting thing I see about this case is the high probability that he was accused of rape because he was black rather than because of evidence. In America there is a ridiculous bias towards imprisonments of black people because black people commit more crimes in general, so the stereotype has been set in place even though the juries should be completely impartial.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fudgesundae
Baiscally 15 year old girl accuses 16 year old black high school football player of rape. He goes to prison for 5 years plus another 5 on probation, plus he had to register on the sex offenders register. She receives a $1.5 million dollar payout from the school district for not providing her with a "safe environment".
Relevance? :confused:

Edit: Who knew a single word could be so wildly misconstrued? :dunce: This is my intention:

Original post by ossR
Does it really matter if someone mentions that someone else is black? It's not abusive it's just acknowledgment. Don't say that you're one of these people that assumes you can't say the words black, White or Asian without it being racist.
How did you infer I was accusing the OP of racism and using abusive language from the word 'relevance'? :rolleyes: I'm not in the business of supposing racism whenever an injustice is committed against a 'non-white' person, so I asked that question to see if the person's ethnic origin was directly pertinent to any aspect of the case; I would have asked the same thing if details of the accused's eye colour or shoe size were included, for example. Regardless of the person's ethnicity, being wrongfully accused and imprisoned for something as heinous as rape is objectionable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Sick and twisted...

God... some people :frown:
Reply 11
It must be very difficult for people in high profile positions to guard themselves against disgusting accusations like this. I mean, and I know that the accusations are sometimes just, looking at footballers in this country, they're always getting accused of it and more often than not these women get damages or sell their stories to the papers. Wrong!
Original post by whyumadtho

Presumably because, rightly or wrongly, it's a widely held belief that the US justice system is racist.

Though to the OP, I don't see why this is really an example of why "some people just make you sick". There are millions of crimes being committed far worse than this...
Reply 13
Original post by whyumadtho

If you read the article it shows that he actually pleaded guilty because his lawyer convinced him that a jury would never believe a large black football player in a rape case. Basically his lawyer knew the US justice system is inherently racist.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
According to Banks and his private investigator, Gibson refused to tell prosecutors that she had lied, so she wouldn't have to return the money she and her family had won in court.

She also said she feared it would affect her relationship with her children, Banks' attorney said in court papers.

... that's it!? Lady... you ruined a person's life!

I don't even know what to say...
Reply 15
Original post by Dragonfly07
When you say "these cases disgust me", which cases do you mean specifically? Because this case could fall into many different categories.

Do you mean false accusations of rape or false imprisonments in general?

Edit: the most disgusting thing I see about this case is the high probability that he was accused of rape because he was black rather than because of evidence. In America there is a ridiculous bias towards imprisonments of black people because black people commit more crimes in general, so the stereotype has been set in place even though the juries should be completely impartial.

False rape accusations disgust me more, as it usually just the cowardice of the female involved refusing to tell the truth.

Original post by callum9999
Though to the OP, I don't see why this is really an example of why "some people just make you sick". There are millions of crimes being committed far worse than this...

There are worse crimes but does that mean that this case can't sicken me? I never said it was the worst thing I had ever seen.
mf after I read the article,

She deserves prison time. How could you ruin someone's life like that? He was incredibly strong to want to put the ordeal behind him.
If you read the article it shows that he actually pleaded guilty because his lawyer convinced him that a jury would never believe a large black football player in a rape case.
I've read it and reread it, and I can't see anything that corresponds to what you said.
Well, well, aren't her kids going to be proud of their mother when they grow up? :/

This world has more scum than it can hold.
False rape accusations disgust me more, as it usually just the cowardice of the female involved refusing to tell the truth.

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know. It's a sad world out there.

(most false imprisonments are as a result of refusal to tell the truth)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending