The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Beliefs In Society June 13th 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hey guys, I have to say that it's great that we can all talk about this exam and prep together in a sense. I prefer working with people in order to test each other.

I have another question, and I think it may just be me that has this problem.. Whenever I see essay questions I sort of panic and don't structure my essays and don't know how to start them. I feel as though I know the stuff but I can't seem to structure my essay and therefore make silly mistakes :|

Here's a PP question: 'Assess the view that religious beliefs + practices are changing to reflect a new era of diversity and choice'. (33 marks)

You would talk about:

Globalisation
postmodernity
relocation of religion
spiritual shopping

What else would you talk about + how would you start the question? ><' *PANICCCC* lol
anyone have any predictions?X
Reply 42
Does anyone think that like age or gender could possibly come up?
Reply 43
Original post by MSJM1
Does anyone think that like age or gender could possibly come up?

I think it could come up as an 18 marker
Reply 44
Original post by iamkeeley
No that's right. You don't have to be fantastic at each question you just have to answer each one well with an average score and you could still get an A

Hey how do u know this?
Reply 45
I'm thinking postmodernism, globalisation, marxism , or a C.A.G.E for one of the 33mark also i dont see a religion and social change 33marker,
anyone else have any predictions? 18marker?
Reply 46
Original post by Mariya786
hey guys, I have to say that it's great that we can all talk about this exam and prep together in a sense. I prefer working with people in order to test each other.

I have another question, and I think it may just be me that has this problem.. Whenever I see essay questions I sort of panic and don't structure my essays and don't know how to start them. I feel as though I know the stuff but I can't seem to structure my essay and therefore make silly mistakes :|

Here's a PP question: 'Assess the view that religious beliefs + practices are changing to reflect a new era of diversity and choice'. (33 marks)

You would talk about:

Globalisation
postmodernity
relocation of religion
spiritual shopping

What else would you talk about + how would you start the question? ><' *PANICCCC* lol

Hi there, you could go back to bruce and talk about the oposite side of the question that religion is not reflecting a new era of choice but an era of religious decline like rationalisation as sort of a critique at the end, just an idea there i was thinking of hope it sort of helps :smile:
How is everyone structuring their essays to get lots of AO2 marks? I'm confused :frown:
Reply 48
Original post by HanS10
Hi there, you could go back to bruce and talk about the oposite side of the question that religion is not reflecting a new era of choice but an era of religious decline like rationalisation as sort of a critique at the end, just an idea there i was thinking of hope it sort of helps :smile:

ah fair point, for the A02. Sorry but how would you start the essay ><? ahh
Reply 49
Original post by qwertie
hey guys, I'm having trouble figuring out how to answer this question

"assess view that science has replaced the religion as the main ideological influence in society today"

would i have to talk about secularisation? :/

I think you would have to include it, coz secularisation means influence of religion has declined and so been replace with science coz of rational ways of thinking

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 50
Hi guys, i am not sure about something, if there's a globalisation question what kinda points would be used for ao2?

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Maryam95
Hi guys, i am not sure about something, if there's a globalisation question what kinda points would be used for ao2?

I presume you would talk about factors such as religion being seen as fashionable and desirable over the traditional value of what religion is and how places in East Asia have become westernised. I guess Secularisation as a whole.. o_o ?
does anyone have any predictions please??
Reply 53
can anybody give me any advice on how to structure 18 mark and 33 mark questions. i think the way my sister has shown me to answer the is a bit all over the place and not coherant enough
Reply 54
Original post by OxfordPotential
does anyone have any predictions please??

Globalisation has not come up yet as an 18 mark or 33 mark
I think Marxism may be one of the 33 marks and perhaps relgion as a force for social change
New Religious Movements etc have come up in most papers so I dont think there will be a question centred on them but you will obviously have to include them in many questions
Also science and postmodernity could be possible 18/33 markers

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 55
ara, tomorrow is the day! just had my last Sociology lesson.

Goodluck everyone!! :smile: may the odds be in your favour.

One last question, how would you end an essay for the 33/18 marker? Because I remember
that my soci teacher would always say to me not to ever include my opinion ><'
Original post by Mariya786
ara, tomorrow is the day! just had my last Sociology lesson.

Goodluck everyone!! :smile: may the odds be in your favour.

One last question, how would you end an essay for the 33/18 marker? Because I remember
that my soci teacher would always say to me not to ever include my opinion ><'

Is your Sociology teacher high?! Ofcourse you give your own opinion at the end, it shows that you have weighed up the fors and againsts and come down to your own opinion on the matter. Your opinion can differ from the conclusion, so its being even more evaluative if it does differ.
Reply 57
You're not supposed to put the word "I" anywhere in a sociology essay, you're not arguing your own point of view you're arguing the sociologists'.

For the essay on postmodernity "Assess the view that religious beliefs and practices are changing to replace a new era of diversity and choice" I'd start by saying how in contemporary society, evidence has shown that religious belief has decreased etc through church attendance statisitcs, however some sociologists (postmodernists) believe that religion is not declining but changing into a more privatised form. then you could include authors such as:
Davie - believing without belonging/vicarious religion
Hervieu-Léger - spiritual shopping
Lyon - globalisation/growth of consumerism

In terms of ending an essay, if it's an "assess the usefulness.." question then you should decide which theory is more useful and state why it's better than the other theory in your conclusion, and throughout after making a point you should say "this shows that the theory is useful because..." or "this shows that the theory is not useful becuase.." this should get you more evaluative points!
Original post by e.millar
Globalisation has not come up yet as an 18 mark or 33 mark
I think Marxism may be one of the 33 marks and perhaps relgion as a force for social change
New Religious Movements etc have come up in most papers so I dont think there will be a question centred on them but you will obviously have to include them in many questions
Also science and postmodernity could be possible 18/33 markers

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks so much! It does help a lot!
Any likely topics for the 9 marker at all?X
Does anyone know the kind of question on Globalisation that could come up?X

Quick Reply