The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Southampton Solent Abuse?

Hello,
I've been hearing that some people from Southampton Solent University sometimes get verbally and sometime physically abused by the people who go the University of Southampton and I was wondering if this is true?

If it is, how have people dealt with the problem?

I'm looking to go there in September, it's the top of my list out of all the Universities I'm looking at.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who told you that? We're a sociable, friendly bunch. Southampton is a great city with a fab student night life. :smile:
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Original post by glf2110
Who told you that? We're a sociable, friendly bunch. Southampton is a great city with a fab student night life. :smile:

A few of my friends who have been to both of the universities. One of my friends from Solent was targeted on a bus earlier this year, she was talking to a boy from Uni of Southampton and then he turned on her as soon as he heard she went to Solent. I know as with everywhere it could be a rare case but she's apparently experienced it a lot since she first started there in 2010.

I know it's a great city and I've experienced the night life already but what my friend has told me has gotten me slightly worried XD but if it's not like that all the time I'm a bit more at ease with it :smile:
Reply 3
I'm a fresher at Soton, and I've been to a Solent freshers party (by accident with my mates) and we all got on well. Admittedly, we were a bit worried to once we realised it, but then we found it's just a bit of banter which is inevitable in any city with two unis!! There's nothing to worry about! It depends on the people-we wanted to get on with the Solent people, and they wanted to get on with us-it was totally cool. Obviously you get people who take it too far, but they're the minority-or are very drunk.

As said, student night life in Soton is excellent, there is a bit of banter, but nothing serious. I know of several relationships between Soton/Solent students ha!
Don't worry about that. If someone has told you that I think its very much out of context.

Over the years it has become very tame. However you should put this in to context as 'banter'

There is a freindly rivalry between UoS & SSU
as well as
UWE and Bristol
Swansea and Cardiff
Oxford and Cambridge
Leeds and Lees Met
Manchester and Man Met and Salford
All the London Unis.

It the same everywhere and its really in the context of Sporting competitions.
There is no abuse just banter or

Put simply NO.

The Pres
Reply 5
For the most part it's friendly banter. Occasionally it might get worse as with any such banter.

I expect both Universities (and Student Unions) would want to hear if the banter ever became abusive and would fully investigate and anyone being abusive would be dealt with.
Ahh ok thank you everyone :smile: I sort of knew it would've been a rare case with my friend plus she's been experiencing it with the same boy since her first year but if it's usually just banter then I'm alright with that, I've been through that experience throughout secondary school and sixth form :smile:
Hi,
I go to Solent and I love it.
But it is true there has been much harassment from Southampton Students. Personally, I was also verbally attacked on the bus (the Uni-link), it was a nice conversation at first until it went sour when I said I went to Solent, the guy did get a tad aggressive but thankfully not violent but honestly I wouldn’t of known what would of happened as I went down to the 1st level of the bus. But on the bus a few Solent students get it and their have been no full on frictions at all. But most students from both Universities actually get on; I have quite a few friends from there. It’s all to do with rivalry, but Solent being a very new University it is quite a fresh rivalry. It’s nothing to worry about at all, I chose to ignore it and went to Solent as it was my first choice too.

Katie
You will get a level of this at any university through some reason or another. However if aggressive behaviour is expressed it is a matter for the police and should not be tolarated.
If people were continually being bullied over this and it were that greater scale there would be seperate buses. Restricted housings lets and so on, but its not Whilst this conversation is one sided. You have to balance this with any banter that may come from Solent students towards University Of Southampton students.

Oxford and Cambridge who have been around for around 100 years still have their rivalry.
Original post by Katie emillia
Hi,
But it is true there has been much harassment from Southampton Students. Personally, I was also verbally attacked on the bus (the Uni-link), it was a nice conversation at first until it went sour when I said I went to Solent, the guy did get a tad aggressive but thankfully not violent but honestly I wouldn’t of known what would of happened as I went down to the 1st level of the bus. But on the bus a few Solent students get it and their have been no full on frictions at all. But most students from both Universities actually get on; I have quite a few friends from there. It’s all to do with rivalry, but Solent being a very new University it is quite a fresh rivalry. It’s nothing to worry about at all, I chose to ignore it and went to Solent as it was my first choice too.

Katie

But it doesn't go beyond verbal in most cases does it? I can handle verbal abuse I've been putting up with it for most of my life with the way my nose it and acne XD I just wanted to know the level it goes to in some cases :smile:

I've got an interview on 21st so hopefully I'll get to see what it is like, I really want it to be my first choice though :smile:

Thank you for your response
Uni and Solent students in the main get on perfectly OK - you only have to look at the numbers of each that go to the nightclubs in Bedford Place (particularly Junk/Orange Rooms or the old Bliss).

If either ventures too far into the other's 'territory' though, they can expect a lot of banterous abuse back.

I experienced it at the end of my first year when a group of us from Soton halls went to the Solent summer ball to see Chase+Status and Artful Dodger, while a group of lads I know from Solent came to Sobar and got the same treatment back.

It's something not to take personally unless it starts to get violent.
Original post by AliceElizabeth19
But it doesn't go beyond verbal in most cases does it? I can handle verbal abuse I've been putting up with it for most of my life with the way my nose it and acne XD I just wanted to know the level it goes to in some cases :smile:

I've got an interview on 21st so hopefully I'll get to see what it is like, I really want it to be my first choice though :smile:

Thank you for your response

Not that I have seen no. The worst I have seen was when the Solent sports team where started on in the middle of town if front of public shoppers but got to admit their was a funny side and it wasn't all serious. Like I said most of us do get on, I have old friends and made new friends from Southampton University. I know a few friends who live in accomadation with other students from the other University. I got all my offers and I put it as my first choice, choose the course which you like and I wouldn't take it into account with any University.
(Thesupresident) But I have never seen Solent students attack Southampton students and I'm from Southampton too, it is quite unbalanced truthfully because they are very different but its not everyone, Im sure its mainly just small groups of people :smile: - like the sports teams , but thats with any University. Also I have been to pretty much in every club, I have never seen any hassle or received any.

What will you be studying, if you are coming to Solent?
Oh btw since that day on the bus, I haven't received any more hassle :smile:
Not that I have seen no. The worst I have seen was when the Solent sports team where started on in the middle of town if front of public shoppers but got to admit their was a funny side and it wasn't all serious. Like I said most of us do get on, I have old friends and made new friends from Southampton University. I know a few friends who live in accomadation with other students from the other University. I got all my offers and I put it as my first choice, choose the course which you like and I wouldn't take it into account with any University.
(Thesupresident) But I have never seen Solent students attack Southampton students and I'm from Southampton too, it is quite unbalanced truthfully because they are very different but its not everyone, Im sure its mainly just small groups of people :smile: - like the sports teams , but thats with any University. Also I have been to pretty much in every club, I have never seen any hassle or received any.

What will you be studying, if you are coming to Solent?
Oh btw since that day on the bus, I haven't received any more hassle :smile:

Ahhh ok that's definitely made me more at ease, thank you :smile:
I'm going to Southampton Solent now as a forst choice and I'll be studying Film and television studies :smile:
Hi,

Katie

Oh come off it, 'verbally attacked'? No doubt the guy just made a joke or something not meant to be taken seriously. There's plenty of inter-university banter between the two universities but it can hardly be described as 'abuse' or 'harrassment' - we're not in Syria for Christ's sake.

OP, If you want to go to Solent, go. As others have mentioned, there is rivalry between various universities, and it should never be this that affects your choice of study.

NB: Southampton students are often called 'toffs' as in the charming song "i'd rather be at Solent than a toff", so it's a two-way street. No harm done. :smile:
Original post by jonnythemoose
Oh come off it, 'verbally attacked'? No doubt the guy just made a joke or something not meant to be taken seriously. There's plenty of inter-university banter between the two universities but it can hardly be described as 'abuse' or 'harrassment' - we're not in Syria for Christ's sake.

OP, If you want to go to Solent, go. As others have mentioned, there is rivalry between various universities, and it should never be this that affects your choice of study.

NB: Southampton students are often called 'toffs' as in the charming song "i'd rather be at Solent than a toff", so it's a two-way street. No harm done. :smile:

Comparing it to Syria is a bit harsh, and out of order - Sybria is not to be taken the mickey out of. I didn't over exageratte the situation like you just did and simply described it. You weren't there im afraid, but also I never said it was really serious but you just don't understand, but it wasn't a joke as the guy obviously did want to hurt my feelings with verbal comments; he wasn't even symphathetic or found the situation funny. At the end of the day it was an attack, and verbal attacks do excist. I know most of it is typical banter, but there are times when people do get a bit carried away. It would be nice if you would give just a little more respect. Ok sweety :smile:. It kind of sounds like your getting a tad annoyed by what happened, when you dont need to be, we are just simply discussing :smile:.

Also, every situation is different. And it would be appreciated if you don't judge something when you weren't there.

fyi: I haven't even heard of that song, and im sure they are trying to just be funny, like both Uni's do to each other. As you say their is no harm done, and I don't believe it has ever got physical.
Comparing it to Syria is a bit harsh, and out of order - Sybria is not to be taken the mickey out of. I didn't over exageratte the situation like you just did and simply described it. You weren't there im afraid, but also I never said it was really serious but you just don't understand, but it wasn't a joke as the guy obviously did want to hurt my feelings with verbal comments; he wasn't even symphathetic or found the situation funny. At the end of the day it was an attack, and verbal attacks do excist. I know most of it is typical banter, but there are times when people do get a bit carried away. It would be nice if you would give just a little more respect. Ok sweety :smile:. It kind of sounds like your getting a tad annoyed by what happened, when you dont need to be, we are just simply discussing :smile:.

Also, every situation is different. And it would be appreciated if you don't judge something when you weren't there.

fyi: I haven't even heard of that song, and im sure they are trying to just be funny, like both Uni's do to each other. As you say their is no harm done, and I don't believe it has ever got physical.

I wasn't there, but flinging around terms like 'harassment' is just ridiculous, and the reason I am 'judging' the situation as you put it (contributing to the discussion) is because I feel you are misrepresenting the Soton uni/Solent relationship, which could influence the thread starter's overall opinion with respect to which university to choose.

I'm sorry you've had negative experiences before, but the idea of people taking this sort of university banter so seriously as to be upset about it just seems ludicrous to me. If someone ever made a genuinely negative comment to me about the university I went to, I'd just roll my eyes and walk on. But we're all different. :smile:

Also, nobody took the mick out of Syria; my comment was designed to illustrate the triviality of your anecdote when compared with places where 'harassment' actually takes place. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
i am southampton uni, and i've never seen it that bad.
there is rivalry, but few students from either uni genuinely hate the other.
I tease the solent students i know, but with that it is a two-way banter thing.

naturally, there are ********s on both sides who take it too far, but these are few in number from my experience.
I wasn't there, but flinging around terms like 'harassment' is just ridiculous, and the reason I am 'judging' the situation as you put it (contributing to the discussion) is because I feel you are misrepresenting the Soton uni/Solent relationship, which could influence the thread starter's overall opinion with respect to which university to choose.

I'm sorry you've had negative experiences before, but the idea of people taking this sort of university banter so seriously as to be upset about it just seems ludicrous to me. If someone ever made a genuinely negative comment to me about the university I went to, I'd just roll my eyes and walk on. But we're all different. :smile:

Also, nobody took the mick out of Syria; my comment was designed to illustrate the triviality of your anecdote when compared with places where 'harassment' actually takes place. :s-smilie:

But all im mainly talking about is one person who commented on Solent students out of around 20,000 students. At the end of the day I did nothing to him, theirs nothing wrong with wanting some respect, I knew he was from Southampton University and I gave him respect. I did say 'But most students from both Universities actually get on; I have quite a few friends from there' who are old and new :smile: . So im not misrepresenting it at all. I did walk away as I said I went down stairs on the bus. All I have done is simply expressed what the situation was, to express what sorts of rivalry goes on, im not actually expressing hatred for a whole student body or that im upset or angry even. If thats how im coming across, I don't actually mean to. Im sorry if thats how you feel.

Whats ludicrous to me is how someone can judge somebody based on what Uni they go to.

If you say that thats what you meant by comparing it to Syria so be it, it was just a bit strange to compare a small incident to it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18

I've always heard "I'd rather be at Solent than a c**t" and then our rebuttal would be "I'd rather be a c**t than unemployed". It's always light hearted banter tbh.
Reply 19
I'm from Southampton Uni, but now work at Solent and have never witnessed any problems whatsoever!

This should not be a reason to not pick Solent, OP. As many people have previously mentioned, rivalries do of course exist, but it isn't serious and I'm sure a tiny number of people actually take it that way.

I could also not imagine any student from Southampton abusing a Solent student on the bus. We're not thugs! If that actually happened, it's down to the fact that they are morons, not which University they attend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending