The Student Room Group

20 year old gets sentenced to 161 years

MIAMI - Quartavious Davis is still shocked by what happened to him in federal court two months ago.

"My first offense, and they gave me all this time," said Davis, a pudgy African American with dreadlocks who spoke with Reuters at the Federal Detention Center in Miami. "Might just as well say I'm dead."

Davis was convicted of participating in a string of armed robberies in the Miami area in 2010. His accomplices testified against him, saying he carried a gun during their crimes and discharged it at a dog that chased them after one of their burglaries. But Davis was not convicted of hurting anyone physically, including the dog.

Davis would occupy no place at all in the annals of crime if not for his sentence. Now 20 years old, he was sentenced to 1,941 months - almost 162 years - in prison without the possibility of parole.

On the day of Davis's interview with Reuters, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that life sentences without parole for defendants under the age of 18 constituted "cruel and unusual punishment" even in cases of murder. Unfortunately for Davis, he was 18 at the time of his crimes.

Davis's unusually long sentence results from a controversial practice known as "stacking," in which each count of an indictment is counted as a separate crime, thus transforming a first-time defendant into a "habitual criminal" subject to multiple sentences and mandatory sentencing guidelines.

http://news.yahoo.com/insight-florida-man-sees-cruel-face-u-justice-050157061.html

Scroll to see replies

How **** must his lawyer of been :eek:
Reply 2
I don't think its fair for him to complain that it was a first offence when what he did was a string of armed robberies not an isolated incident
Reply 3
Probably will be in and out of jail anyway. Makes no difference.
It's because his accomplices imputed the blame to him so they could get shorter sentences. His entire life in a single building... :shot:
Reply 5
A string of armed robberies... something tells me he would have been in jail most of his life anyway :wink: can't help but feel sorry for his victims!
Reply 6
He's going to be 181 years old when he's released, the world will have changed so much. Poor guy.
Reply 7
That is the result of a law system without so called "concurrent criminal offence" (loosely translated).
Well I suppose those complaining that sentences weren't long enough got what they wanted :lolwut:

I don't particularly feel sorry for him.
What a name.
Original post by AndroidLight
Another case of American racism against Black people, just like Travon Martin who was killed. Shameful.

Try harder.
Reply 11
Original post by 079
I bet he'll be out in 161 days...

no
Reply 12
Original post by Soph.Jade
A string of armed robberies... something tells me he would have been in jail most of his life anyway :wink: can't help but feel sorry for his victims!

Yeah but if they released him when he was 60+, would he still be committing crimes? I don't think so.
One less person to be worried about.
Reply 14
Original post by tehforum
no

Yeahh
Reply 15
Original post by 079
Yeahh

almost 162 years - in prison without the possibility of parole.

Negged.

edit - negged by dumb people
(edited 11 years ago)
Wait... so in this country, someone can commit murder or rape and get a maximum of sixteen years, in America they think he may have shot at a dog and he won't get out of prison until he's 160? :lolwut:
Maybe the judge just took exception to the name 'Quartavious'?
Reply 18
Jesse Jackson's gonna hear about this. If he were a Christian he would have got 2 years with an xbox and a plasma. But because hes Muslim they gave him life.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
I sure hope he's not a virgin 'cause his first action in the jailhouse is probably going to involve getting stuffed like a turkey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending