The Student Room Group

Universities that don't like to party?

I'm a really shy and antisocial person. I like meeting new people, but I just don't like dancing, getting drunk ect.

What other Universities would be great for someone who doesn't like clubs/partying ect.

Thank you
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any university would be great for someone who doesn't like to party/go clubbing.

Just find the right group of people who'd rather do something you enjoy, get joining the societies that interest you and you'll quite quickly make friends.
Reply 2
i doubt you will ever find this non-partying university. Even people at Oxbridge and top London unis like to party. You'll find like-minded people on your course/ at your accommodation/ at societies you join etc eventually. So just apply to wherever you feel you'll fit in best.
Original post by fallout201
i doubt you will ever find this non-partying university. Even people at Oxbridge and top London unis like to party. You'll find like-minded people on your course/ at your accommodation/ at societies you join etc eventually. So just apply to wherever you feel you'll fit in best.

I wanted to apply to London Unis. But I assumed that they are the most up for a party. An I wrong then?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by cambo211
Any university would be great for someone who doesn't like to party/go clubbing.

Just find the right group of people who'd rather do something you enjoy, get joining the societies that interest you and you'll quite quickly make friends.

Thank you. Also, I'm not keen on sport. I'm unfit and have asthma. Is sport a large part of Uni in comparison to collage/sixth form.

Reply 5
You shouldn't make your choice based on that. They'll be people at all uni's that like to party, and those who don't.
If you find the right group of people i'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

You don't have to participate in sport based activities/societies, there are loads of other societies you can join and not everyone is going to like sport (like me :p:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ChildOfShakespeare
Thank you. Also, I'm not keen on sport. I'm unfit and have asthma. Is sport a large part of Uni in comparison to collage/sixth form.

I'm an unathletic, non-party person and I got on fine. :smile:
Reply 7
I'm a really shy and antisocial person. I like meeting new people, but I just don't like dancing, getting drunk ect. I'd much rather sit with a group of people and just have a nice chat.

I wanted to apply to UCL but I heard that they are a party going Uni. My friend said that Cambridge, LSE and Bath, are quite chilled universities when it comes to partying.

What other Universities would be great for someone who doesn't like clubs/partying ect.

Thank you

Many universities have more than 10,000 students, and there are quite a few with more than 20,000. The point is that there is a huge variation in how each person experiences university and divides their time. At every university, there will be some people who go clubbing more or less every day, and some people who never go clubbing. The same applies to any activity you can think of, societies, volunteering, paid work, going to the pub, going to church, playing sport, even going to lectures! There is no one 'university experience', you pick and choose and make it what you want, and whatever that is there will probably be someone else who's up for it too.

So yeah, there's no such thing as a 'party university'. Just pick the ones with the right courses in towns where you like the vibe, and you can't go too wrong.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wouldn't go to a uni just because it wasn't a partying uni!!! Go based on it's facilities, the town/city and most importantly you're course. Every university will have students who like to party and those that aren't too keen. Even if you don't, I would really advise going out for freshers week though. No one knows each other so just take the opportunity to act less shy and talk to more people :-) That's how I met my best friend at uni - she was at the bus stop and I asked if this was where I wait for the campus bus. She said yes and we got chatting.

You never know though, you might warm to going out. I never used to be the dancing type but I just went for it in freshers week as no one knew me so they didn't know how awkward I was before. I don't LOVE going out, but once I am out and had a drink I don't mind it too much. I still can't wait to get in bed with a nice film tho!

Oh, and sport doesn't necessarily have to be a big part of uni if you don't want it to, but it is great to meet people in a less awkward way. When you go out, the focus is on talking to people but when you join a club, you make friends WHILST playing. And there are sports clubs that don't involve too much running about (fencing, snowboarding, film, pirate club, scuba diving etc). Your fitness will improve anyway :-)
Reply 9
apparently warwick (and its surrounding area; coventry) and durham are pretty boring
Hate to break it to you but Bath ain't chilled, everyone goes out regularly, and I lived in the "nice" accommodation which was apparently not as wild as some others, and got woken up at all hours of the morning. It's a very sporty uni and obvs sports teams = a lot of drinking.

I think every uni is exactly the same, there's people who like to party and people who don't. You should give it a try, you might like it! Sure there's great nights to be had in but I can safely say clubbing was more fun than any other occasion. Based on pure generalisations, Imperial/LSE/Durham are said to be quieter, but don't choose your uni based on that. If you really can't stomach going out then just pick a quiet accommodation.
Reply 11
If you don't care about your education, head to UEL. They didn't even have a freshers week last year apparently.
Original post by TheSownRose
I'm an unathletic, non-party person and I got on fine. :smile:

Ok good :smile:, do you mind me asking what Uni you go to? :smile:
Reply 13

No.

If anything less so if you don't want to get involved in it.
Original post by RowingGoose
I wouldn't go to a uni just because it wasn't a partying uni!!! Go based on it's facilities, the town/city and most importantly you're course. Every university will have students who like to party and those that aren't too keen. Even if you don't, I would really advise going out for freshers week though. No one knows each other so just take the opportunity to act less shy and talk to more people :-) That's how I met my best friend at uni - she was at the bus stop and I asked if this was where I wait for the campus bus. She said yes and we got chatting.

You never know though, you might warm to going out. I never used to be the dancing type but I just went for it in freshers week as no one knew me so they didn't know how awkward I was before. I don't LOVE going out, but once I am out and had a drink I don't mind it too much. I still can't wait to get in bed with a nice film tho!

Oh, and sport doesn't necessarily have to be a big part of uni if you don't want it to, but it is great to meet people in a less awkward way. When you go out, the focus is on talking to people but when you join a club, you make friends WHILST playing. And there are sports clubs that don't involve too much running about (fencing, snowboarding, film, pirate club, scuba diving etc). Your fitness will improve anyway :-)

Thank you this was really helpful. :smile:
Original post by cambo211
No.

If anything less so if you don't want to get involved in it.

I like sport, it's just I'm not fit. I don't want to do it ultra competitively.
I'm a really shy and antisocial person. I like meeting new people, but I just don't like dancing, getting drunk ect. I'd much rather sit with a group of people and just have a nice chat.

I wanted to apply to UCL but I heard that they are a party going Uni. My friend said that Cambridge, LSE and Bath, are quite chilled universities when it comes to partying.

Thank you

Imperial, you'd fit right in.
Original post by JohnyTheLad
Imperial, you'd fit right in.

I'll definitely look into it. I wanted to study in the London area, but I haven't really looked into Imperial yet. :biggrin:

Thank you
As someone who has spent the last 3 years at UCL I don't think you can categorise it as a party or non party university.

You have to remember UCL is not a campus uni, its a city uni. As such you can be involved in the city's nightlife in a variety of ways. If you want to be part of UCL's wine and jazz Soc then that is just as viable as Moonies monday and sports night. Both are parts of the uni, and you can be involved in either to whatever extent you want. London certainly has more avenues for this than anywhere else.

I don't think you can make a sweeping statement about the uni as the city of London is a huge part of it, and you can't make a sweeping statement about London. Some parts are hustle and bustle, noise and urban areas, but at the same time some parts are quite, open, and next to museums and historic buildings.

Fresher's week in most uni's will be about going out and partying. Even if you aren't a party person I think you should force yourself out. This is when social groups are formed, and the scary experience of carving out a whole new group of friend is significantly easier when everyone is drunk and having a good time. Partying is a big part of student life, but there are other options at most unit.
Ok good :smile:, do you mind me asking what Uni you go to? :smile:

Anglia Ruskin.

I also have friends who are much the same and spread out across different universities - UCL, Reading, Lancaster...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending