BBC NEWS: Shafilea Ahmed's parents charged with her murder

Scroll to see replies

Oh dear. Starting to unravel. :colondollar:
Is her mum trying to get herself off the hook??? :s-smilie:
Original post by Ray Bradbury
Oh dear. Starting to unravel. :colondollar:

Omg I know right....
When will this case end?

How do you guys think this case will turn out?
Reply 69
I'm not sure why these so called honour killings receive so much media attention while there are more horrific crimes that go barely unreported. A few days ago I heard of a handicapped man who was abducted, tortured and executed in the US! hate crime apparently but it never reached the likes of Fox News or MSNBC.
Original post by Jareth
I'm not sure why these so called honour killings receive so much media attention while there are more horrific crimes that go barely unreported. A few days ago I heard of a handicapped man who was abducted, tortured and executed in the US! hate crime apparently but it never reached the likes of Fox News or MSNBC.

A lot of crimes happen every day, the media doesn't have room to report it all - if there are other things happening deemed more important or perhaps there's a legal block on reporting about it, or even that the topic isn't flavour of the month at the moment, it isn't going to get the same sort of coverage as this sort of thing in the UK where Islam is a hot topic at the moment and an honour killing is, if past media coverage is anything to go by, something rare. It's perhaps not fair and maybe some crimes are worse than others but I think that's just how the media works - and it's also hardly fair to family and friends of someone when they see people complaining saying "Oh, so-and-so is so much worse, so much more deserving of media attention" - I think it's quite disrespectful.
Reply 71
Original post by Rat_Bag
So if this was to be held in a Shariah court, how would the evidence be treated differently?

In a shariah court the parents and sister would be severely punished. That's because firstly- forced marriages are completely forbidden in Islam.
Secondly- murdering your daughter because she didn't want to get married is forbidden.
And thirdly- stealing is forbidden.

The sister would get punished for stealing, but she may also get punished for not stopping this from happening.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by pinkspark
In a shariah court the parents and sister would be severely punished. That's because firstly- forced marriages are completely forbidden in Islam.
Secondly- murdering your daughter because she didn't want to get married is forbidden.
And thirdly- stealing is forbidden.

The sister would get punished for stealing, but she may also get punished for not stopping this from happening.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

But the sister, other siblings and mum were apparently threatened by the dad to keep quiet and not ask about Shafilea otherwise he would kill them too. Would the sister be punished then? Especially as she was probably in danger as well?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by diggy

If not that it would be suspicious a young girl with no family living by herself

In Pakistan? Yes

In the UK? No, not at all, this isnt unusual for a lot of young people
Hope the parents rot in hell

Quick Reply

Latest