The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

hey folks...so, i decided not to wait for the prospectus and look up accomodation online.

i'm looking for self-catering accomodation and was thinking of applying to some of the less subscribed buildings like st. michael's hill or northwell house. basically, i'm pretty studious and have had the 'hall' experience in canada during my first degree (by the way, i recommend living in halls to anyone who want's the typical "university experience"...you'll meet a ridiculous amount of people and it's loads of fun).

the truth is, i find it pretty easy to make friends and plan on getting involved in clubs/sports etc, so i'm hoping my home will be a bit on the quieter side. the only thing is, NO ONE talkes about these places. has anyone heard of the type of people that live there? are they social outcasts? i can't find any 'insider' scoop on these places and feel like they may be the backwater of student accomodation (yes, i exaggerate...but???). so, has anyone heard of ANYTHING about them, ie: type of people that live there, comfortable/scuzzy housing, etc? i'm not so 'studious' as to willing put myself in in a sub-par accomodation...i'm thinking of throwing the towl in and just putting goldney as my first choice, bah!

also, with the hawthorns, does anyone know how much bigger the larger rooms are from the standard size? is it worth the difference in money? if the standard sizes are larger than your average hall room anyway, surely they're pretty big(?).

cheers in advance!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 1001
pipedreams1
Do you think that single sex halls would be rubbish?

Personally, i would prefer mixed, but i like the look of manor hall....

What do you think? As in, sharing with 15 other boys...

can you really not form your own thoughts and opinions? What's wrong with single sex accomm? Personally, I don't think single sex corridor could ever be an issue, in fact, I think I'd prefer living in an all male corridor. More fun innit, plus there will be members of the fairer sex mere steps away. I don't see how that could be a problem.

I really don't know how you envisage a hall with single sex corridors, but I'm guessing you envisage wrong. Everything else is the same as in a mixed sex hall except that the people who sleep in the rooms next you will all have penises.
Reply 1002
pipedreams1
Do you think that single sex halls would be rubbish?

Personally, i would prefer mixed, but i like the look of manor hall....

What do you think? As in, sharing with 15 other boys...

Same for me ! Manor seems to have so many advantages (big rooms, nice building & gardens, self-catered, appearantly friendly people, location...). Just this single sex dumb thing :s-smilie:. I think it's going to be my first choice though, I see far more advantages than disadvantages, and you also have to consider that you're pretty sure to get in (1:1 applicant/place ratio).
You know, its not like they segregate you! You can always go upstairs and talk to them... I think its only done for things like showers etc.
Yea, to be fair, it's not like I have girls living in my house at the moment, but I still have plenty of friends who are female. I dont think they problem is that big guys, if you like Manor go for it!
Random question, but I'm trying to fill in my personal statement for the accomodation and was wondering if there are any example statements around? Its a pretty small box they give you and the remit (your interests) is pretty wide! Im specifically looking at Wills and Hiatt Baker. Thanks!
Reply 1006
If there was a template, everyones application would be the same, and then there'd be no point in doing a PS.

Just do it, it's not that hard, write whatever you want.
Its not meant to be a test...
yeah, am i being silly in thinking that its not that important, especially if applying to an undersubscribed hall?!

i've literally just written my interests down, and written about myself, what i'm like etc... took me about 5 mins... everyone on here seems to be a bit worried about it... am i being too relaxed/slapdash?! :redface:
Reply 1009
have taken pretty much the same approach as you subba (if I may abbreviate your name to that). it's not exactly my finest piece of writing...doesn't even have a conclusion :p:
aboodz
have taken pretty much the same approach as you subba (if I may abbreviate your name to that). it's not exactly my finest piece of writing...doesn't even have a conclusion :p:

you can call me alice if you like :rolleyes: - glad i'm not the only one who's done it like that!
RE the single sex thing...

I'm in an all-girl block at Wills and it's been a mixed blessing.

Luckily we're all ensuite, but the thought of having to run from my room to the bathroom in just a towel after a shower in a mixed block is a bit scary! For them, that is, not me :tongue:

One of my best mates is in the non-ensuite girls block next to me, and she says it's so much better being single sex. The kitchen is kept tidy, everyone leaves old magazines in the bathroom, they have plants in the communal areas... Think the girls generally just make more of an effort!

It's also nice to know that if you need to borrow any hairspray, shampoo, shower gel, painkillers, girly bits etc it's easy to knock on the room next to you, as the girls are really kind with lending stuff.

Problem with my block is, though, that it's quite bitchy. For some reason, B is really 'rah' so have large groups of Hooray Henries in their rooms late at night. Means loads of noise :frown: Doesn't exactly promote good relations within the block... Having said that, the H block girls are AMAZING - all so friendly, and perfectly matched. Think it's luck to be honest...
Angelharpist
RE the single sex thing...

I'm in an all-girl block at Wills and it's been a mixed blessing.

Luckily we're all ensuite, but the thought of having to run from my room to the bathroom in just a towel after a shower in a mixed block is a bit scary! For them, that is, not me :tongue:

One of my best mates is in the non-ensuite girls block next to me, and she says it's so much better being single sex. The kitchen is kept tidy, everyone leaves old magazines in the bathroom, they have plants in the communal areas... Think the girls generally just make more of an effort!

It's also nice to know that if you need to borrow any hairspray, shampoo, shower gel, painkillers, girly bits etc it's easy to knock on the room next to you, as the girls are really kind with lending stuff.

Problem with my block is, though, that it's quite bitchy. For some reason, B is really 'rah' so have large groups of Hooray Henries in their rooms late at night. Means loads of noise :frown: Doesn't exactly promote good relations within the block... Having said that, the H block girls are AMAZING - all so friendly, and perfectly matched. Think it's luck to be honest...

you sure its luck not that they wrote 'I HATE RAHS SO PUT ME WITH NICE PEOPLE' on their application...
Reply 1013
thanks for your clear answer Angelharpist :wink:
Hey everyone!

im sorry if this has already been dealt with but, regarding the accommodation applications, they ask for 4 passprt photos to be sent - do the photos have to be identical or can the all be different or does it really not matter..... and how recent should they be?

sorry bout the silly questions - at least its not about the personal statements :rolleyes:

(im probably going for Wills then HB, btw!)

Ok guys, i am well confused right now!
I looked through the accommodation prospectus for aages and thought, after taking a lot of things into account, that i'd go for Durdham (1st) and Winkworth (2nd).
Other possible options were Goldney and Hawthorns, but hawthorns looked too much like a hotel to appeal to me.
Im pretty worried now though, cos loads of you guys have said pretty discouraging stuff about Durdham but obviously this stuff wasnt said in the prospectus lol. It's taken a lot of thinking to decide on this, are there students currently at Durdham or ex-Durdham that can help me out?
Cheers.
IAMAPERSON
IAlso, I asked a Churchill student thing about the 'rah' thing and he said it's no more rar-ey than any other hall.

That's complete *******s. Churchill is more "rah" than all the rest of the halls put together, and this is coming from someone who lives in Wills!
IguessIwin
you sure its luck not that they wrote 'I HATE RAHS SO PUT ME WITH NICE PEOPLE' on their application...

Well if you write that, it's highly unlikely you'll be offered a place at Wills in the first place...
Reply 1018
Or any other hall to be honest...

Ok guys, i am well confused right now!
I looked through the accommodation prospectus for aages and thought, after taking a lot of things into account, that i'd go for Durdham (1st) and Winkworth (2nd).
Other possible options were Goldney and Hawthorns, but hawthorns looked too much like a hotel to appeal to me.
Im pretty worried now though, cos loads of you guys have said pretty discouraging stuff about Durdham but obviously this stuff wasnt said in the prospectus lol. It's taken a lot of thinking to decide on this, are there students currently at Durdham or ex-Durdham that can help me out?
Cheers.

As is usually the case with every stereotype there is an element of truth and it is true that it can be a little quiet here, a short visit down the Hall Bar is enough to confirm that. However, I personally don't feel I've missed out at all because I've made an effort to get involved in what does go on, make friends in the hall and on my course and generally not sit in my room. Hall life is what you make of it, and if you want a lively first year don't let Dullham's (haha sorry, Durdham's) reputation put you off. In all seriousness it's fine, just a bit more of an effort than some other halls.

Latest