The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Seer
Yeah, I guess. But no subject actually interests me at all, I'm just doing philosophy because I find it the least boring :smile:

but something abt it must have sparked ur interest?! most people (not me) would say phil was the MOST boring! lol
Reply 201
Tek
Exactly, visit the college to see if you like it. Remember that you'll be studying there for three or four years!

But tbh I'll probably end up applying to Peterhouse anyway.
Reply 202
Tina
yes but its unlikely despite the vast opposition

Blair won't let go of top-up fees. I suspect that Cambridge's move to introduce ÂŁ4,000 grants starting 2006 might be used as a political chess piece for Labour's justification for top-up fees.
Seer
Lol.. but it is unfortunate that the prestige of a course is often downgraded because it is unpopular and underapplied for. For example, Theology is one of the most academic subjects one could wish to study, but the fact even Oxford has something like a 60% acceptance rate for it means the candidates entering are of a low(er) calibre, who in turn lower the calibre of the course, which lowers the prestige, which lowers the calibre of applicants applying next year etc. A vicious circle.

Dude, I am not sure about this. Why should a higher acceptance rate mean lower calibre? I dont think it neccessarily does. It's a bit sad when people think like this.....Once upon a time all Oxford offered was Classics. It was THE most sought after degree and the highest calibre of student were accpeted....now it is a minority subject....does this mean that Classics is of a lower calibre?

Anyway, to even be considered for any Oxbridge course, whether Law or Nordic studies, you will have be of a certain standard....and there will not be a great deal of diffrerence between the 'higher' and 'lower' calibre candidates.
Reply 204
Tina
but something abt it must have sparked ur interest?! most people (not me) would say phil was the MOST boring! lol

Tina are you applying for Law?
Reply 205
Tek
Haven't applied yet. I'm a humble sixteen year old A/S student, with much to learn about University admissions, although I expect I shall end up applying to Peterhouse for History.

Best of luck with your application. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that Clare is in a wonderful location and is full of lovely, charming people, and that you'll be certain to enjoy your six years there.

Tek - there was a lot of talk on this forum and another I visit about Peterhouse being the college that has the most gays as they tend to apply there. Don't know how true that is - might influence your decision one way or another!
Reply 206
Tina

I think it's the only arts subjects that requires a special kind of intelligence. Unlike in politics or history, reading up doesn't make you good at it (after all, the skills used in history/pol are fairly rudementary), you just either have that knack or not. :smile:
Reply 207
Tek
But tbh I'll probably end up applying to Peterhouse anyway.

how come uve decided so early on.....u know u might change ur mind...i was intially completely undecided, but Kings seemed like it would be my choice
Reply 208
Tek
Exactly, visit the college to see if you like it. Remember that you'll be studying there for three or four years!

ALL the colleges are really nice. You pretty much have to take into account the social side..can u stand being round those type of ppl for 3-4 yrs. Each college has its own speciality/ attraction and so a certain type of person normally applies there.
Reply 209
Seer
I think it's the only arts subjects that requires a special kind of intelligence. Unlike in politics or history, reading up doesn't make you good at it (after all, the skills used in history/pol are fairly rudementary), you just either have that knack or not. :smile:

i thought it would be the same with philosophy ....i mean not everyone can sit there and read phil texts e.g J S Mill
Reply 210
Mentally Ill
Dude, I am not sure about this. Why should a higher acceptance rate mean lower calibre? I dont think it neccessarily does. It's a bit sad when people think like this.....Once upon a time all Oxford offered was Classics. It was THE most sought after degree and the highest calibre of student were accpeted....now it is a minority subject....does this mean that Classics is of a lower calibre?

Anyway, to even be considered for any Oxbridge course, whether Law or Nordic studies, you will have be of a certain standard....and there will not be a great deal of diffrerence between the 'higher' and 'lower' calibre candidates.

The 'calibre' will stay the same, entry requirements are still AAA/AAB.
Reply 211
Mentally Ill

No I'm saying it shouldn't lower the calibre of the subject, and it doesn't, it lowers its perceived calibre.

btw the odds suggest that classicists/theologians/those studying Nordic and Celtic will be the worst qualified. Yes, it's not necessarily true, but very likely
Reply 212
lizzzy`
Tina are you applying for Law?

no SPS...about 2 yrs ago i did think abt law but thought it would be quite boring....personally i feel u have to be passionate abt ur subject to really enjoy it....particularly at oxbridge.....sps seems perfect for me
Reply 213
Tina
i thought it would be the same with philosophy ....i mean not everyone can sit there and read phil texts e.g J S Mill

J.S. Mill is a piece of piss to be fair :smile:

Hegel, Wittgenstein, Russell, Moore, Plato etc. Much more complex and infinitely more interesting :smile:
Reply 214
Seer
No I'm saying it shouldn't lower the calibre of the subject, and it doesn't, it lowers its perceived calibre.

btw the odds suggest that classicists/theologians/those studying Nordic and Celtic will be the worst qualified. Yes, it's not necessarily true, but very likely

A lot of Classicists get pooled to New Hall, who come bottom of the league tables quite often. Does this have any relevance?
Reply 215
yawn1
Tek - there was a lot of talk on this forum and another I visit about Peterhouse being the college that has the most gays as they tend to apply there. Don't know how true that is - might influence your decision one way or another!

Why do you think this may be a problem?

Tina
how come uve decided so early on.....u know u might change ur mind...i was intially completely undecided, but Kings seemed like it would be my choice

I'm an early bird.
Reply 216
Seer
J.S. Mill is a piece of piss to be fair :smile:

Hegel, Wittgenstein, Russell, Moore, Plato etc. Much more complex and infinitely more interesting :smile:

there u go....u do have quite a strong interest in philosophy! i dont know many people who could read and enjoy all those!
Reply 217
Tek

I'm an early bird.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I had my heart set on Christ's since Year 11. Look how that turned out:smile:
Reply 218
Tek

I'm an early bird.

I didn't say it would be, just thought it may influence your decision. The more information you have about a college the better it helps you make up your mind if it's the one for you. Don't get defensive :tongue:
Reply 219
liz what have u applied for?