The Student Room Group

Is BTEC hard???

i only know its like coursework and assessments
can someone tell me more about it???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xx_ViiiCkiii_xX
i only know its like coursework and assessments
can someone tell me more about it???

Most people take the BTEC as they think its "the easy route" to A Levels as there are no exams. The BTEC itself involves a lot of coursework. I just completed this and I can tell you that it "wasn't a walk in the park", there were actually a lot of units.

In answer to your other thread, most universities accept BTEC National Diploma. I take it you're doing Level 2, so let me tell you that you cannot go to university not without completing a Level 3 as well...

My source is that I've done BTEC National Diploma Level 3 and got the grades I needed to go to Nottingham Trent University. :smile:

But Edexcel the exam board changed the qualification to BTEC "Extended" Diploma Level 3 don't know how it works though... :s-smilie:
Original post by Boreism
Most people take the BTEC as they think its "the easy route" to A Levels as there are no exams. The BTEC itself involves a lot of coursework. I just completed this and I can tell you that it "wasn't a walk in the park", there were actually a lot of units.

In answer to your other thread, most universities accept BTEC National Diploma. I take it you're doing Level 2, so let me tell you that you cannot go to university not without completing a Level 3 as well...

My source is that I've done BTEC National Diploma Level 3 and got the grades I needed to go to Nottingham Trent University. :smile:

But Edexcel the exam board changed the qualification to BTEC "Extended" Diploma Level 3 don't know how it works though... :s-smilie:

Thanks
but was it hard and did you get a lot of help or was it mostly like independant work???
cause i was wondering whether you get taught the stuff and then write your coursework about it or do you just look it up urself??

i got told to do a level 3 course as i passed my GCSEs with A-C's
changed :s-smilie: im guessing that they made it even harder

to me BTEC doesnt sound easier but atleast no exams cause thats when i panick :frown:
Thanks
but was it hard and did you get a lot of help or was it mostly like independant work???
cause i was wondering whether you get taught the stuff and then write your coursework about it or do you just look it up urself??

to me BTEC doesnt sound easier but atleast no exams cause thats when i panick :frown:

Well depends on the college on how they set the work, for the past 2 years (thats how long to study BTEC National Diploma Level 3) I've been to 2 colleges in my first year went to Sheffield College they let the whole class endorse their work from textbooks but then went to University College Birmingham for my second and final year and they teach you a lot of things and most of the work they set out are in groups/pairs presentations. So it really depends which college you go to. :smile:

Well what did you expect, I mean with A Levels you have to turn up for exams, whereas with the BTEC its lots of coursework (well at least you don't have to turn up for exams)...you can't always win... :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Boreism
Well depends on the college on how they set the work, for the past 2 years (thats how long to study BTEC National Diploma Level 3) I've been to 2 colleges in my first year went to Sheffield College they let the whole class endorse their work from textbooks but then went to University College Birmingham for my second and final year and they teach you a lot of things and most of the work they set out are in groups/pairs presentations. So it really depends which college you go to. :smile:

Well what did you expect, I mean with A Levels you have to turn up for exams, whereas with the BTEC its lots of coursework (well at least you don't have to turn up for exams)...you can't always win... :p:

well, which courses did you do then???
and what ru studying now then??

i was wondering would they let you do medicine even with BTEC???

how many pages o coursework did you end up with with your final piece??
(edited 12 years ago)
well, which courses did you do then???
and what ru studying now then??

i was wondering would they let you do medicine even with BTEC???

I studied BTEC National Diploma in Travel and Tourism Level 3. Teachers predicted Merit Merit Merit, but instead I got Distinction Distinction Merit, which is even better! :biggrin: In October I will be studying a degree in Health and Social Care at Nottingham Trent University.

Well I really can't answer that question for you, every university sets their own requirements and they base their information on what information the candidates give them based on the UCAS application form. Like I said on your other thread CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Boreism

What did you do you B-Tech in?
Original post by sb123303
What did you do you B-Tech in?

Travel and Tourism...
Reply 8
In my first year of the BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social care I have in total given 431 Pages of coursework and I've gotten all distinctions in all 8 of my first year units as a result

431 pages yes that's right the BTEC's not easy in Health and social Care it's a lot of hard work with a lot to do despite those who have never done it feeling as if they have the right to comment on it
Original post by Shih-na
In my first year of the BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social care I have in total given 431 Pages of coursework and I've gotten all distinctions in all 8 of my first year units as a result

431 pages yes that's right the BTEC's not easy in Health and social Care it's a lot of hard work with a lot to do despite those who have never done it feeling as if they have the right to comment on it

Original post by Shih-na

i know its going to be alot of work but i wanted to know about actually how much it is but really 431 pages, you must have rambled on :tongue:
Reply 10
i know its going to be alot of work but i wanted to know about actually how much it is but really 431 pages, you must have rambled on :tongue:

The honest truth is no not really that is how much detail was required to get the highest grades for the first year so yeah brace yourself in any case
What BTEC are you interested in?
Do you want to go uni and if so what do you want to do because most uni's especially the top 20 don't really like BTECs
To answer your question generally they're considered easier then A levels but there is a lot of coursework which can be time consuming
Reply 12
Original post by littleangel9914
Do you want to go uni and if so what do you want to do because most uni's especially the top 20 don't really like BTECs
To answer your question generally they're considered easier then A levels but there is a lot of coursework which can be time consuming

This is a fair point to take into account about universities not really liking BTEC's. Often the higher end Universities will want a higher version of grades from the BTEC than they do from the A levels or a BTEC combined with one A level although slowly but surely this is starting to change and there is a trend going on of good universities accepting more students or starting to accept students that do the BTEC. this is a fact of the BTEC I don't like to admit though but never the less it's true

OP work hard in your BTEC and it'll take you where you want to go!
Original post by Shih-na
The honest truth is no not really that is how much detail was required to get the highest grades for the first year so yeah brace yourself in any case
What BTEC are you interested in?

Health and social care level 3
GOD!! thats gonna be a lot of work :s-smilie:
i wont know what to put, i mean really 431 pages!!!!

Original post by littleangel9914

i know top unis dont wont them but hey as long as i get into uni, then i dont care :smile:
A LEVELS ARE TOO HARD
not saying BTEC isnt cause i dont know
Reply 14
Health and social care level 3
GOD!! thats gonna be a lot of work :s-smilie:
i wont know what to put, i mean really 431 pages!!!!

i know top unis dont wont them but hey as long as i get into uni, then i dont care :smile:
A LEVELS ARE TOO HARD
not saying BTEC isnt cause i dont know

Honestly if it makes you feel any better I did go a bit psycho on my work towards the end so maybe not neccesarily 431 pages I do take that back. I'd say about 300 pages would be enough for good grades do you know what you want to go into afterwards?
Original post by Shih-na
Honestly if it makes you feel any better I did go a bit psycho on my work towards the end so maybe not neccesarily 431 pages I do take that back. I'd say about 300 pages would be enough for good grades do you know what you want to go into afterwards?

lol, you went psycho and added an extra 131 pages XD

i was thinking midwifery or nurse
what about you???
Thanks

I'm doing 2 btec's. The way it works at my sixth form is:
You get taught the work for a particular topic
Get given bits of paper/notes, a textbook and the internet
You have a question to answer for this topic and you answer it using what you learnt and looked up from books/internet/paper etc
You hand it in. And you are allowed 3 attempts to submit it. Each time you submit it you get feedback and changes to make. After 3 attemtps, that is your grade for the assignment.

There is probably more work than A levels (in A levels you don't get too much work, however when exams come up they give you loads - while in Btec's it is just spread out and you constantly have the same amount of work). So in A levels it is only stressful just before your exam, although its very stressful then. While in btec's it is just mildly stressful for out.

I didn't like exams and so I did 2 btec's and they are going well. It is about the same level in terms of difficulty as As levels in the first year. However A levels in the second year (A2) is a lot harder than AS and is a step up. While in Btec it is the same difficulty in year 1 and year 2.
Reply 17
lol, you went psycho and added an extra 131 pages XD

i was thinking midwifery or nurse
what about you???

Yeah I guess I did go a bit blah. I don't really know to be fair I know that if I do want to go to university that I'll really need to out prove myself on this course which in all honesty is why I'm giving it my absolute all and I am aiming to get D*D*D* as a result from it. I'll get to university if it's the last thing I do trust me on that!!!
Original post by dylantombides
I'm doing 2 btec's. The way it works at my sixth form is:
You get taught the work for a particular topic
Get given bits of paper/notes, a textbook and the internet
You have a question to answer for this topic and you answer it using what you learnt and looked up from books/internet/paper etc
You hand it in. And you are allowed 3 attempts to submit it. Each time you submit it you get feedback and changes to make. After 3 attemtps, that is your grade for the assignment.

There is probably more work than A levels (in A levels you don't get too much work, however when exams come up they give you loads - while in Btec's it is just spread out and you constantly have the same amount of work). So in A levels it is only stressful just before your exam, although its very stressful then. While in btec's it is just mildly stressful for out.

I didn't like exams and so I did 2 btec's and they are going well. It is about the same level in terms of difficulty as As levels in the first year. However A levels in the second year (A2) is a lot harder than AS and is a step up. While in Btec it is the same difficulty in year 1 and year 2.

i needed that info but apparently it varies between schools :s-smilie:
I CANT DO EXAMS :angry:
i wish someone told me about BTEC before :frown:

Original post by Shih-na
Yeah I guess I did go a bit blah. I don't really know to be fair I know that if I do want to go to university that I'll really need to out prove myself on this course which in all honesty is why I'm giving it my absolute all and I am aiming to get D*D*D* as a result from it. I'll get to university if it's the last thing I do trust me on that!!!

so your just studying not knowing what to aim for, then whats your motivation???
usually people have it all planned and everything
+ didnt you see what you wanted to do first and then choose the course??
cause i believe that with BTEC courses you need to be more specific as in to what you then want to do in uni
Reply 19
BTEC from what I hear and have seen by the material is like A Level but a bit different like no exams for example.

Not easier than A Levels , hence uni offers made on the basis of BTEC Performance

Quick Reply

Latest