The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Are there any graduate applicants stalking this thread who have dealt with Edinburghs requirement for two references? My main UCAS referee is my former senior manager as she can speak to my academic qualifications and my abilities in a caring environment and I was planning on asking a former lecturer to provide the second academic reference but I wondered if anyone had already dealt with this and could advise what they did?

Thanks, :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Georgie Doll

Original post by sid214

Original post by spacepirate-James
:

hi sorry guys just one quick question - is our timetable issued during induction week? :biggrin: can't wait!
Original post by snooopp
hi sorry guys just one quick question - is our timetable issued during induction week? :biggrin: can't wait!

Yeah although there's a medicine timetable for Freshers' Week somewhere in the 'new students' bit.

Come join the Medicine freshers thread :awesome: !

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1742343
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by snooopp

Hi :biggrin:

I hope it's issued during the induction week as I've had nothing yet! I think we have to enrol on the Monday of Fresher's Week (at 9am :eek:) so we'll probably get some sort of pack with timetables, reading lists, and the time/date for our director of studies meeting/BBV testing etc. This is what I'm thinking anyway because I've not had anything via email or post :tongue:

I can't wait either, looking forward to meeting you guys!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
HELP!!

What are the chances of getting accepted with results below the minimum requirements?

My Higher Results were:

Maths-A
Chemistry-A
Information Systems-A
English-B
Biology-B (Hopefully getting an appeal - Missed an A by 1 mark!!:angry:)

Also sitting advanced biology, advanced chemistry and modern studies this year. Hoping for 3 As:rolleyes:

I know you are never accepted purely based on results but would these results be good enough along with a good ukcat and personal statement.

Thanks.
Reply 45
Original post by 1311grant
HELP!!

What are the chances of getting accepted with results below the minimum requirements?

My Higher Results were:

Maths-A
Chemistry-A
Information Systems-A
English-B
Biology-B (Hopefully getting an appeal - Missed an A by 1 mark!!:angry:)

Also sitting advanced biology, advanced chemistry and modern studies this year. Hoping for 3 As:rolleyes:

I know you are never accepted purely based on results but would these results be good enough along with a good ukcat and personal statement.

Thanks.

Hi, my advice would be to e-mail the admissions people, since only they can answer for certain, but I would think it highly unlikely - they do not have a provision for 3A's and 2B's in the admissions handbook. I doubt they would make exceptions since they have so many applications. If you get the appeal, then you certainly stand a chance if the rest of your application is at a high level. Good luck :smile:.
Hi, I was wondering what the selection process for Edinburgh is like. I know they give 'equal weight' to academic and non-academic things but what kind of grades, personal statement, UKCAT result, extracurricular activities etc would you need to get an offer? At the open day the speaker said its very difficult to get an offer. I was just wondering because at places like Glasgow Uni if you get the right grades and a good UKCAT you are basically guaranteed an interview but at Edinburgh it seems quite unclear.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Just to prevent any confusion about the selection process, I'll summarise it here. Edinburgh give offers based on a points system, then give x number of offers in decending order.

When the application is submitted, the Edinburgh Admissions Office look at it and give:
A maximum of 3 marks for the UKCAT (depending on your quartile).
A maximum of 2 additional achieved' points . "Additional credit (‘achieved points’) for achieved academic results in all qualification frameworks is added by the Admissions Office at the time of entering the scores into the database in recognition of the greater strength of achieved results."

It is then passed to 2 assesors for scoring. Each one does a separate score

A maximum of 7 Academic Points are given ( 6 for Grades and 1 Bonus point).
To get the bonus point, there must be "evidence of outstanding academic flair and creativity not recognised by the 'examination' guidelines. It is suggested that this point should not be allocated to more than 10% of the applicant pool."

A maximum of 9 Non-Academic points ( Personal Qualities, Non-Academic Achievement, and Career Exploration).

So 5 Points from the admissions office + a max of 16 from 2 assessors = a total of 37 points. (Offers are supposedly given around the 30 mark, but I'm not sure).

UKCAT becomes important again when multiple people have the same score, and they are then ranked in UKCAT order.

My source is the Edinburgh Admissions Handbook which gives this in much, much more detail http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/PoliciesAndProcedures/Undergraduate/Handbook.pdf.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by K-man.
Just to prevent any confusion about the selection process, I'll summarise it here. Edinburgh give offers based on a points system, then give x number of offers in decending order.

When the application is submitted, the Edinburgh Admissions Office look at it and give:
A maximum of 2 additional achieved' points . "Additional credit (‘achieved points’) for achieved academic results in all qualification frameworks is added by the Admissions Office at the time of entering the scores into the database in recognition of the greater strength of achieved results."

To get the bonus point, there must be "evidence of outstanding academic flair and creativity not recognised by the 'examination' guidelines. It is suggested that this point should not be allocated to more than 10% of the applicant pool."

A maximum of 9 Non-Academic points ( Personal Qualities, Non-Academic Achievement, and Career Exploration).

So 5 Points from the admissions office + a max of 16 from 2 assessors = a total of 37 points. (Offers are supposedly given around the 30 mark, but I'm not sure).

UKCAT becomes important again when multiple people have the same score, and they are then ranked in UKCAT order.

My source is the Edinburgh Admissions Handbook which gives this in much, much more detail http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/Policie...e/Handbook.pdf.

Thats really helpful. Thanks a lot!
Original post by K-man.

My source is the Edinburgh Admissions Handbook which gives this in much, much more detail http://docstore.mvm.ed.ac.uk/Policie...e/Handbook.pdf.

Love yoou :love:
Reply 50
I got 595 in my UKCAT, was really disappointed :frown: .. I really like Edinburgh and was trying to work out if i can go there. Approximately what quartile will i be in? 3rd or 4th ?

I got 10A* at GCSE, 5 As at AS and hopefully 3A* prediction. If i have a good personal statement & reference is it worth applying?
Original post by itsme2011
I got 595 in my UKCAT, was really disappointed :frown: .. I really like Edinburgh and was trying to work out if i can go there. Approximately what quartile will i be in? 3rd or 4th ?

I got 10A* at GCSE, 5 As at AS and hopefully 3A* prediction. If i have a good personal statement & reference is it worth applying?

I am assuming your UKCAT quartile will depend on the scores of the other applicants so it is impossible to predict. I am just an applicant too but that would be my guess.
Original post by itsme2011

Original post by ChangedMyMind
I am assuming your UKCAT quartile will depend on the scores of the other applicants so it is impossible to predict. I am just an applicant too but that would be my guess.

The above poster is correct ... but it wouldn't hurt to have an informed guess that if 650 has roughly been the said average each year, then with exam inflation then more people in this intake will probably have moved the average above 650. So a score of 595 would probably be in the 3rd quartile, or even the 4th. Again, that would be my guess. I think it would be worth applying if everything else was perfect, as such. UKCAT only plays 3 out of a possible 37 points and if people with 30 and above usually get offers you still have a chance.

Obviously you'd have less of a chance than perhaps other candidates but if you really like Edinburgh and you have a spare choice then go for it :smile:
What sort of UKCAT score do you think I should aim for for Edinburgh? My AS grades are AAAB and although my 4th is in an unrelated subject (politics), I'm worried as it's not AAAA...
Original post by DLZF
Just wanna ask, I got average 625 in my average. Approximately which quartile i will be in?

I got 632.5 last year which is close to your score and was third quartile, so that might give you some indication anyway, but obviously it'll depend what people get this year which quartile you're in
'Lo there, I'm hoping to apply for medicine at Edinburgh next year, and I was hoping some current students (or anyone) could maybe clear a few things up for me.

How much work is there each week? I mean the total hours of lectures, practicals, etc. I suppose if anybody knows exactly how much they study by themselves each week it would be handy too, but I assume that varies too much to give an accurate value for.

Does doing well in sports count toward your application? Someone told me that Edinburgh doesn't look at this, but they could easily have been wrong. The website does say they take extra-curricular activities into account.

I'm from Northern Ireland, so does that put me at a disadvantage for being made an offer (excluding fees)? A teacher told me this, but I assume it wouldn't be allowed.

Also, anyone know what the halls are like?

Thanks
Reply 56
What are your gcses and ukcat score?
Original post by mg9651
What are your gcses and ukcat score?

me?
Did my UKCAT this morning, and I'm now worrying about the quartiles!!! :s-smilie:

662.5 would be 2nd quartile or something - right?

How's everyone doing on their Personal Statements? :eek:
Original post by Georgie Doll
Great decision to apply to Edinburgh guys :biggrin:

I applied last year and will be starting the course next month (so excited!) so I'd be happy to help with any questions you have about admissions, the course etc. I was a Scottish applicant so I don't know too much about the English requirements but I'll do my best to help!

Edinburgh is a fantastic city with a great medical school, you won't regret applying there!

So you were given offers for all four of your applications? Congratulations! :biggrin:
What did you get in the UKCAT? You must have had an incredible PS, I hope you don't mind me asking what sort of non-academic activities/work experience you were involved in?
I'm applying next month so help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest