The Student Room Group

Chance of getting into Oxford/Cambridge/Warwick

Hello there,

What do you guys think about:

A*AAAABBBC - B and C in science. If wishing to study for Law.

This amassed with AAAA at History, Geography, English Lit and Politics.

Extra-Curricular of DofE, Mock Trial, Debating, Model UN, Volunterring etc.

Would i stand a reasonable chance of Oxbridge, and which one, due to my GCSE results would be most promising.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Luke Williams
Hello there,

What do you guys think about:

A*AAAABBBC - B and C in science. If wishing to study for Law.

This amassed with AAAA at History, Geography, English Lit and Politics.

Extra-Curricular of DofE, Mock Trial, Debating, Model UN, Volunterring etc.

Would i stand a reasonable chance of Oxbridge, and which one, due to my GCSE results would be most promising.

Thanks

Unfortunately no you would not stand a reasonable chance at either university, UNLESS you scored very highly in your three most relevant AS subjects, in which case you would have a good chance of getting in to Cambridge and not be hindered/disadvantaged by your GCSEs at all.

Not sure who the idiots are who are negging me, they clearly don't know what they are talking about :confused:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by v2p
Unfortunately no you would not stand a reasonable chance at either university, UNLESS you scored very highly in your three most relevant AS subjects, in which case you would have a good chance of getting in to Cambridge and not be hindered/disadvantaged by your GCSEs at all.

When you say high UMS marks - Are we looking at 95% plus??? in three most popular?
Yes, for very course Cambridgge asks for A*AA and you would have to get that. they dont consider your GCSE's because i was talking to the administrator and she told me thay dont look at them as rejected a student who had all A*s at GCSE
They look at your interest for the subject your applying for.
Reply 5
with those grades. probably not at cambridge or oxford. i think. :s-smilie:
LCE is the best uni for law. why dont you apply there?
Are your 'AAAA' grades at GCSE also, or from AS modules?
If you can get 90% at AS in 2/3 of your subjects give Cambridge a try. Don't bother with LSE.
Reply 9
Original post by toastysandwich
LCE is the best uni for law. why dont you apply there?

Never heard of it unless you mean LSE?
I am predicted AAAA at AS level.

I am hoping i can get 95% + in 3 and hopefully a strong A in the other. If i do not get such grade, I won't be applying for Cambridge, because I know the competition is rife.

However, thankfully I have a plethora of Extra-Curriculars which relate to my course, and have a real passion for the subject.

Hoping that I get the grades, then I really need to work on getting Law Test, Personal Statement and Interview TO THE APEX.

Thanks
Reply 11
Original post by kevin6767
Warwick really isn't one of the best law schools out there.

Yes it is.

Negged by Warwick rejectees?

u mad?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Don't listen to the unmitigated morons claiming you have no chance.

I have a B and two Cs amongst my GCSE lineup.

I still have an offer...
Reply 13

I am hoping i can get 95% + in 3 and hopefully a strong A in the other. If i do not get such grade, I won't be applying for Cambridge, because I know the competition is rife.

However, thankfully I have a plethora of Extra-Curriculars which relate to my course, and have a real passion for the subject.

Hoping that I get the grades, then I really need to work on getting Law Test, Personal Statement and Interview TO THE APEX.

Thanks

Please don't use overly verbose phrases at interview, just be confident being yourself. The language you are using here just comes across as unnatural and contrived.

Now, there's nothing wrong with improving your turn of phrase but that would be best done by reading good literature, and not by consciously trying to making every sentence sound so superlative. All the best. Oh, and if the above was written for comic effect then well done please disregard the post. Humour is often lost on me. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
When you say high UMS marks - Are we looking at 95% plus??? in three most popular?

95+ would put you in a very good position, and likely your GCSEs won't matter at all. Though this would have to be in your three most relevant subjects, not the three most popular. If anything you don't need a strong A in your fourth, you could even get a B and it would be fine.

Not sure who the idiot is who gave me a neg, he or she is clearly not familiar with the application process.

Also Luke you seem to be quite hung up on having
a plethora of Extra-Curriculars which relate to my course, and have a real passion for the subject.

Sorry but these two things really don't matter to Cambridge, and anyone telling you differently is wrong.
Reply 15

Thanks

You don't need 95% to get into Oxford - having said that, of course aim to do as well as you possibly can. Try going to public lectures at any local Unis that are relevant to Law if you can (google to find them... lots of Unis do lectures the public can attend) and read any academic journals etc you can find. It's your passion for your subject rather than stuff like D of E that will really help your case. And although you are not a textbook Oxbridge candidate, well neither are about 15 % (ish) of successful applicants. What do you have to lose? It's one choice out of 5 on the UCAS form. Just ensure you have a good spread of Unis - so two hard ones like Oxford and Warwick that ask AAA, two middling ones ( ones that are asking AAB or ABB) and one that you know will be definitely achievable - so Uni that is asking BBB or similar. Look at the subject league table on the UCAS website to see which ones are best for Law. Good luck, don't stress TOO much about GCSEs - they are one factor but just one. So if you excel in other areas - very good AS, great PS and good evidence of academic pursuit of your subjects IN YOUR OWN TIME (as mentioned earlier - lectures, academic journals etc) you might as well try for it! Good luck :smile:
Oh well now you've said that I'm sure it must be true.

As opposed to the many excellent arguments you presented in support of your point...

Warwick is very good for Law. Employers tend to think pretty highly of it and it's built up a pretty sturdy reputation over the years.
(edited 12 years ago)
How many employers do you deal with on let's say a monthly basis? How many law firms? How many inn's of court?

My dad used to be a big cheese on an LPC (until a couple of years ago) and I've applied for Law this cycle, so I am reasonably well informed about this issue. What's the source of your information?

If you don't believe me, why not go to the TSR Law forum and ask there? You'll get plenty of uninformed people, sure, but you'll also get some excellent posters who either work in the legal sector or have spent a lot of time carefully researching universities' reputations when choosing where to apply. I think most would agree that Warwick is well-reputed for Law.
My source of information is the 60 companies and their representative I deal with every week including Hogan and Lovells, Temple, Slaughter and May, Goddard, BPP, BLP, Freshfields, Colleges of law in York, London and Birmingham, Allen and Overy, Baker and McKenzie and Gray's inn. Your mind set may well change when you become a university student.

Well I respectfully disagree with you - everyone I have spoken to (including the aforementioned dad) has put Warwick up there as a pretty good one.

I'd be interested to know how your information corroborates with what I've heard from various sources. Out of interest, what would you give as an approximate ranking of the top Law schools?
Could you be a little more specific? Do you mean top 5, 10, 15, 20?

Say top ten? Just interested in approximate thoughts (doesn't have to be a scientific list).

Quick Reply

Latest