The Student Room Group

What can i 'wrap' a human in!?

For my art coursework for AS I am looking at the artist Christo who wraps buildings and other objects, so I am translating it into portraiture and want to wrap a human face. Obviously not using cling film as I don't want to kill them, or water as I have already done that, but does anyone have any interesting ideas to wrap a human face in which would have good photography outcomes?!

Scroll to see replies

Streaky Bacon
Reply 2
do you have to wrap their face or can you just cover it, if you can cover it then use chocolate, if wrap, then use toilet paper but dye it for special effect so it would be coloured dyed toilet paper wrapped around their face.
Reply 3
Hahaha streaky bacon.. most certainly an artistic choice :wink:

And well it'd be good if their face was also visible, I like the idea of the toilet paper and chocolate, could also use maybe face masks.. hmmm, i want a really unique idea you see, like how I used water that was pretty interesting
Actually, there are a few things which would be quite interesting:

A character mask.
A mask of their face on their face.
Then perhaps different expressions on their face layered over a normal mugshot of their face? Like 50% faded so you can see both. ie, covered in expression.
Paint.
Plaster cast.
Whipped cream.
What about one of those pin box things?
Newspaper would be great!
Reply 6
Original post by umop apisdn
Actually, there are a few things which would be quite interesting:

A character mask.
A mask of their face on their face.
Then perhaps different expressions on their face layered over a normal mugshot of their face? Like 50% faded so you can see both. ie, covered in expression.
Paint.
Plaster cast.
Whipped cream.
What about one of those pin box things?

I like the idea about the expressions and layering, and also the paint thing! Oooooh...
Reply 7
Original post by Sophie1805
Newspaper would be great!

Like wet newspaper? :smile:
Reply 8
Christmas paper? With tiny holes around the nose obviously!
Reply 9
How about a really thin fabric like chiffon or organza? Maybe in different colours, you could contrast red and green or do something a little softer like shades of blue and purple
Original post by emmily95
For my art coursework for AS I am looking at the artist Christo who wraps buildings and other objects, so I am translating it into portraiture and want to wrap a human face. Obviously not using cling film as I don't want to kill them, or water as I have already done that, but does anyone have any interesting ideas to wrap a human face in which would have good photography outcomes?!

A tortilla wrap!
Reply 11
Original post by kittyb99
Christmas paper? With tiny holes around the nose obviously!

oooh i like it :smile: thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by katieclick
How about a really thin fabric like chiffon or organza? Maybe in different colours, you could contrast red and green or do something a little softer like shades of blue and purple

oooooh i like it! reminds me of the pre-raphaelite paintings of like 'royalty' and 'women', thanks :smile:
Original post by katieclick

This is a good idea, but maybe silk because it is really fine and would drape around the features of the face, so that it would be obvious what was beneath it. Didn't Christo use some sort of thin fabric?
Reply 14
Original post by emmily95

Asking for help on your coursework? Kind of cheating isn't it?
Coloured tissue paper! That stuff was my childhood. :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Claire888
This is a good idea, but maybe silk because it is really fine and would drape around the features of the face, so that it would be obvious what was beneath it. Didn't Christo use some sort of thin fabric?

yes he did :smile: thank you!!
Reply 17
Original post by yothi5
Asking for help on your coursework? Kind of cheating isn't it?

Well I am asking for ideas on things I can do for my art portfolio
Reply 18
Spinach leaves.

Or a mesh-like material.
Ham

Quick Reply