The Student Room Group

Hospital Pre-reg applicants 2013

Following in the footsteps of the thread by Petzneo, anyone applying for hospital pre-reg this year?

Where have you applied?

I haven't chosen my hospitals yet, but will update this post as updates come in =)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a long-overdue list.

Pre-reg Applicants 2013

First Round (updated 13/09/12)

monkeyolsen:Brighton (I), East Sussex (I), Portsmouth (I), Western Sussex (I)
Patsy: Royal Marsden (AO), Brighton, C+W, Imperial, Newcastle (I), Scotland (I)
ShaziaHK: C+W (R), Croydon (I), Epsom and St Helier, Royal Marsden (R)
Alex***: C+W, KHP (I), Portsmouth (I), Southampton (I)
UselessInformation: Barnstaple (I), Plymouth, The Countess of Chichester, Yeovil (I)
Rx23: Brighton, Brompton (I), Marsden (I), West Sussex
Megaloblastic: (to be updated)
Orlbr: Addenbrooke's, UCLH (Reserve)
Lelee: Ealing, Northwest London (R), South London, St. George's
Raisin_90: UCLH (I)
rstudent22: Frimley Park (I), Imperial (R), St Peter's and Ashford (I), Wexham and Heatherwood
Purpledays: GOSH, Hillingdon (I), Imperial (I), South London
Leigham: Isle of Wight (I), Plymouth (I), Portsmouth (I), Royal Cornwall (I)
Blessed1: Croydon, King's Health Partners, North BOB (I), St. George's

-----
Key
-----
(AO) = accepted offer
(O) = offer
(I) = interview
(R) = rejection
(WI) = withdrew from interview / (RO) = rejected offer
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just to let you know to keep an eye on your emails from Pharmalife and other announcements from university staff.

You will soon be able to start drafting your CV and applications in preparation for submitting them between 31st May and end of August. This functionality isn't ready yet but will be soon - so don't go looking for it.

Good Luck.
Reply 2
I am applying to London hospitals but haven't decided where yet to apply. Going to concentrate on the exams and then sort out my application after whilst on placement.
Pharmalife sent out an email today letting people know that that functionality would be rolled out on May 4th. There will be another email sent when this happens =)
Original post by alex***
I am applying to London hospitals but haven't decided where yet to apply. Going to concentrate on the exams and then sort out my application after whilst on placement.

Did you get a hospital placement?
Reply 5
Original post by monkeyolsen
Did you get a hospital placement?

Yes I have 2x 4 week hospital placements and a 2 week hospital placement but they are not in London they are all near where I live. Have you?
Hey everybody!

I will be applying to hospitals in the south-west! Will start working on my cv when exams are finished!

Good luck to everyone, hope you get a hospital you want!!
Original post by alex***
Yes I have 2x 4 week hospital placements and a 2 week hospital placement but they are not in London they are all near where I live. Have you?

I've only done hospital pharmacy back in Canada where I'm from, I've only got the experience my school sets up for us (Brighton).
I've got a Boots placement this summer, but I'm thinking of visiting the hospitals I apply for just so that I've introduced myself
it'll probably have to wait until after exams though
Reply 8
I've only done hospital pharmacy back in Canada where I'm from, I've only got the experience my school sets up for us (Brighton).
I've got a Boots placement this summer, but I'm thinking of visiting the hospitals I apply for just so that I've introduced myself
it'll probably have to wait until after exams though

why don't you try to get some hospital experience before or after boots? I Got boots but ended up turning it down in favour of the hospital placements so going to try to do a couple of weeks in the summer in community voluntary around them. I am also going to visit potential hospitals not sure when yet though.
yes, I'm planning to call the local hospital to see if they can give me something. Our school does particularly focus on getting us hospital placements during the year. This year we spent a week in hospital shadowing hospital pharmacists (did mine at Conquest Hospital in Hastings, I really enjoyed it there!)

I'm also going to visit some hospitals, probably between exams and the start of my Boots placement.
I might apply to some up in Manchester, and some in London. how about you?
Original post by alex***
[...] I am also going to visit potential hospitals not sure when yet though.

yes, I'm planning to call the local hospital to see if they can give me something. [...] I might apply to some up in Manchester, and some in London. how about you?

This link might be of interest to you guys: http://www.pharmalife.co.uk/browsehospitals/menu/id/NDI2/menutitle/RkFRIFN0dWRlbnRzIC0gVmFjYXRpb24gcGxhY2Vz

Thanks!
haha but I think it's a little to late to apply for these. I was thinking of contacting hospitals directly to see if I could do a week or something in their dispensary, or maybe shadow some pharmacists on their wards.
Reply 12
As another international student planning on doing a pre-reg at hospital pharmacy.....how will the fact that Pharmacists being removed from the shortage list affect us in achieving a Visa to stay and work? Any insight on this TigerSwift? Thanks!
Original post by Tototoro
As another international student planning on doing a pre-reg at hospital pharmacy.....how will the fact that Pharmacists being removed from the shortage list affect us in achieving a Visa to stay and work? Any insight on this TigerSwift? Thanks!

If you graduate from a UK university with an MPharm, it doesn't affect you in terms of equal opportunities employment.
I don't think the shortage list is really relevant to getting a visa, just depends on where you're applying. On the whole, hospitals and chains will more readily sponsor you for a work permit visa as opposed to smaller pharmacy chains and independents
Reply 14
If you graduate from a UK university with an MPharm, it doesn't affect you in terms of equal opportunities employment.
I don't think the shortage list is really relevant to getting a visa, just depends on where you're applying. On the whole, hospitals and chains will more readily sponsor you for a work permit visa as opposed to smaller pharmacy chains and independents

http://www.pjonline.com/news/training_offers_withdrawn_over_new_visa_rules

Take a look at this....
There have been one or two changes since this came into play.

A little background on the subject however - The shortage occupation list used to contain pharmacy. As such there were no restrictions on non-EEA citizens coming to the UK to work as a pharmacist or preregistration trainee. The removal of pharmacy from the list in October 2011 meant pharmacist and prereg jobs fell into the Tier 2 (General) VISA system and now have to get a Tier 2 VISA to work.

If a student graduates from a UK School of Pharmacy with an MPharm or the MSc OSPAP they are exempt from the resident labour market test for their first job, i.e. when transfering from the Tier 1 student visa to the Tier 2 visa. This means non-EEA students have equal opportunities to EEA citizens.

[the resident labour market test is set up so that jobs have to be filled with EEA candidates before a non-EEA citizen is employed. Please note above i said first job - once prereg is finished non-EEA citizens will be subjected to the resident labour market test. The test is somewhat complicated and is the employers duty to fulfill so don't worry about it]

There have been a number of changes since that article was published. Evidence has since been submitted to the home office and UKBA about community sector pay and they have since agreed to reduce the threshold for community pay to £20,700, as it is for hospital. However, this doesn't solve everyone's problems as the average (median) wage for preregs in community is £18,400.

We are now pursuing a Tier 5 route and the outcomes should be announced in the coming few weeks. The RPS and BPSA will be publishing guidance for students on how to apply for VISAs for prereg once the final system is agreed to.

All I can say is the comments under the article should be ignored. The calls for urgent action were not needed as a lot of work had gone into resolving the problems before this article was published.

Keep an eye out non the PJ website, BPSA website and the RPS Student Networks as an announcement will be made over the next few weeks.
Following in the footsteps of the thread by Petzneo, anyone applying for hospital pre-reg this year?

Where have you applied?

I haven't chosen my hospitals yet, but will update this post as updates come in =)

Hey!

I'm also in third year and going to apply for hospital. I'm looking to choose the hospitals within the west midlands region. Haven't actually chosen the four hospitals yet but I have a few placements coming up and if they go well, i'll select those hospitals.

Need to focus on passing exams first! :smile:
I'm looking to apply to hospitals in the southeast, maybe one in manchester because i have some relatives there, and perhaps one in london, or somewhere more remote =)
Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton is one that I will apply to for sure.
Reply 18
I am applying for hospital pre reg this year
Reply 19
Anyone know any Hospitals holding Open days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending