The Student Room Group

ice cream van banned as an 'eye-sore'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18208780

buzz kill council ... shouldnt they be trying to promotesmall business's? with the economy going south every little conts and squashing people like this really isnt the best way to go about it...
thoughts and opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I saw this on the news today.

It's ridiculous.

I've bought ice cream from this lovely lady before.

Stupid regulations are really strangling small businesses in the UK.
Reply 2
The council needs to be Mr Whippy'd into shape.

No?

:getmecoat:
Reply 3
omg I'm actually pretty angry now, I seriously can't believe how the govt is strangling business, this is shocking. And yet they wonder about people sitting on their arse living off benefits. **** the govt. The council should be shot. Shutting down a person's business and livelihood just because they don't like the way it looks?? Wow. That's one of the last of our liberties out the door. What next? Banning a piece of clothing coz they don't like it? Oh wait, France is past that stage already.
I was expecting a van like this

The one from the article looks quite typical for an ice cream van, wouldn't call it an eye sore at all.
What a flakey reason... the people who complained must have a screwball loose. :awesome:
Reply 6
It seemed like the view of the beach was pretty big. If the ice cream van is an "eyesore" and in your way. Move.

It is atrocious that something like this could be taken seriously. How can you refuse a woman her perfectly legal livelihood for the sake of one or two fussy villagers with nothing better to do than take away ice cream from children?
Reply 7
Original post by cl_steele
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18208780

buzz kill council ... shouldnt they be trying to promotesmall business's? with the economy going south every little conts and squashing people like this really isnt the best way to go about it...
thoughts and opinions?

Well she was charging £1.30 for a Magnum...

Personally, I think the van looks Fab... :biggrin:

:getmecoat:
(edited 11 years ago)
Personally, if there was a way to convince my local council to ban the ice cream van that comes round at 8pm every night and blasts out 'if you come down to the woods today' at ears-splittingly loud volumes, I'd take it. Even with all the windows closed, it goes right through the flat...
Original post by Darth Stewie
I was expecting a van like this

The one from the article looks quite typical for an ice cream van, wouldn't call it an eye sore at all.

Exactly what I thought. There's nothing wrong with it!
Reply 10
It's hard to see why anyone would object to how it looks (except Disney if she doesn't have the correct licenses to be using their characters on it). It's not like it's particularly gaudy. I'd have though if there was anything to complain about it would be the noise they make. The one round here really annoys me with it's jingle.

Original post by artery08
omg I'm actually pretty angry now, I seriously can't believe how the govt is strangling business, this is shocking. And yet they wonder about people sitting on their arse living off benefits. **** the govt. The council should be shot. Shutting down a person's business and livelihood just because they don't like the way it looks?? Wow. That's one of the last of our liberties out the door. What next? Banning a piece of clothing coz they don't like it? Oh wait, France is past that stage already.

You're blaming "the government"? It's not like some MPs in Westminster decided to ban it. It's the local parish council that have banned it. So it's not "the" government that has banned it, it's a local government. I guess if you really want to you can blame Westminster for giving them that power instead of centralising everything.
Reply 11
Original post by amime

No?

No.
It looks pretty good wtf.
Well that's just Fab.

I don't see anything wrong with the van.
That's ridiculous.

Local councils are pathetic.
Reply 15
but that van looks fine and it's actually pretty!!?
Reply 16
Thats A LOT better than some of the vans that go riding around my area...
Complaints ? I'm guessing people with a grudge.
That looks like a pretty normal van to me ... unless I'm missing something.
The only reason I would go to a UK beach is for an ice cream...not like I'm frothing at the mouth for oap swimmers and cold water

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending