The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2013!

Hello :smile:
I couldn't find a thread so I thought I'd start one. I know it's pretty early...
So what Uni's are people thinking of applying to? I'm thinking Bath, Cardiff, Robert Gordon, Sheffield and Oxford Brookes.
And also, is anyone thinking of taking a gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oh so does that mean you are in your final year of gcses or in as levels?

anyway i am thinking of applying to: cambridge, ucl, bath , the architectural association( but i dont know whether they are doing undergrad.) and maybe cardiff- i dont want to move outside london area, so i would really want to get into cam,ucl or aa!!
Reply 2
Finally someone started a thread for 2013 applicants. I'm myself a foreign student from Lithuania and I am currently interested in Oxford Brookes, GSA Mackintosh, CSM. I'm still deciding between Nottingham, Newcastle, Northumbria, Kent, Queen's Belfast. I wanted to ask you why you have RGU in your list? :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I like CSM, GSA, Edinburgh, London met, Barttlet (high requirements, so don't think I'll be accepted), AA (too expensive) and a school in Paris called Ecole Speciale d'Architecture. But I'm open minded, so don't really worry about the school.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
And thinking about taking a gap year too, but unsure about ehat to do. I'd like to au pair on the USA, France or Canada. I'm also open to different options such ski season, volunteering or something like this. What I'm sure about is that I'll go out from Ibiza

Reply 5
Original post by Lakesx
oh so does that mean you are in your final year of gcses or in as levels?

anyway i am thinking of applying to: cambridge, ucl, bath , the architectural association( but i dont know whether they are doing undergrad.) and maybe cardiff- i dont want to move outside london area, so i would really want to get into cam,ucl or aa!!

I've just finished Year 12. Waiting for results....:frown:

Yeah, London is probably the best place to do Architecture, seeing as you have access to basically everything. But I've heard it's pretty expensive to live there?
Reply 6
Original post by Winchester
Finally someone started a thread for 2013 applicants. I'm myself a foreign student from Lithuania and I am currently interested in Oxford Brookes, GSA Mackintosh, CSM. I'm still deciding between Nottingham, Newcastle, Northumbria, Kent, Queen's Belfast. I wanted to ask you why you have RGU in your list? :confused:

Yes, finally :smile:Why are you wondering why I've got RGU? Didn't you know they did Architecture ? Now I'm confused.
Reply 7
Original post by Lulila
I like CSM, GSA, Edinburgh, London met, Barttlet (high requirements, so don't think I'll be accepted), AA (too expensive) and a school in Paris called Ecole Speciale d'Architecture. But I'm open minded, so don't really worry about the school.

Haha, You've gotta have faith in yourself :smile: Yeah I don't worry too much about the school either.
Reply 8
Original post by Lulila
And thinking about taking a gap year too, but unsure about ehat to do. I'd like to au pair on the USA, France or Canada. I'm also open to different options such ski season, volunteering or something like this. What I'm sure about is that I'll go out from Ibiza

Yeah, I'm still not sure about a Gap Year though because studying Architecture takes a pretty long time and I'm not sure if I want to prolong it even more. But If I did, au pairing sounds like a good idea.
Reply 9
Original post by Safiyyah95
I've just finished Year 12. Waiting for results....:frown:

So, wait, are you going to apply right now? Cause some unis are still accepting applications through clearing. Or you are just going to take a gap year? :confused:
About the RGU, just nevermind, I had bad impression about them but they actually have high employment rate but still not convinced.
Reply 10
So, wait, are you going to apply right now? Cause some unis are still accepting applications through clearing. Or you are just going to take a gap year? :confused:
About the RGU, just nevermind, I had bad impression about them but they actually have high employment rate but still not convinced.

Oh no, I'm not applying until I get my results. But then I've still got one more year and then I'll hopefully start Uni around september 2013. What bad impression did you get? Please tell me because I haven't actually visited them yet.
Reply 11
Well, as I am foreigner I haven't been to an open day of RGU, so the impression I got was reading about it on the internet and some of the stuff might be out of date and I might not now current situation, but there's what I've found out:
In 2009:
I didn't go to see RGU. I don't know anyone who applied there and didn't get an unconditional, so it seems like it's pretty easy to get into.

In 2010:
Although having said that, everyone I know who applied to Robert Gordon got an unconditional without an interview or portfolio or anything.

Anyway, I have serious doubts that the claim's actually true... I did some research and RGU wasn't anywhere near the top of the employment prospects tables that I looked at. I don't know where they're getting their stats from.

And some complain that it's far away from everything.
P.S. all the posts are by moregano whois a PS Helper so you may try contacting her in order to get glimpse of current situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Well, as I am foreigner I haven't been to an open day of RGU, so the impression I got was reading about it on the internet and some of the stuff might be out of date and I might not now current situation, but there's what I've found out:
In 2009:

In 2010:

And some complain that it's far away from everything.
P.S. all the posts are by moregano whois a PS Helper so you may try contacting her in order to get glimpse of current situation.

Thank you very much. I think I should probably do some more research. I mainly picked it because it seemed like the course was good but their requirements werent too high.
Reply 13
Hey!! :smile:

I'm thinking of Oxford Brookes, UCL, Westminster, Newcastle and Northumbria. I've only looked around Oxford so far and I was very impressed, the course looked so interesting. I'm very excited to go on to architecture (assuming I get good enough grades!! :tongue:)
Reply 14
Original post by Amber_24
Hey!! :smile:

I'm thinking of Oxford Brookes, UCL, Westminster, Newcastle and Northumbria. I've only looked around Oxford so far and I was very impressed, the course looked so interesting. I'm very excited to go on to architecture (assuming I get good enough grades!! :tongue:)

Hello, there! Nice list of universities you have, I'm personally considering all of those too, maybe not UCL as they're not accepting my school leaving certificate but I would love to go there (but I have wrote them a letter asking them if they would accept me with exceptional grades and strong portfolio still waiting for response).:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Hello, there! Nice list of universities you have, I'm personally considering all of those too, maybe not UCL as they're not accepting my school leaving certificate but I would love to go there (but I have wrote them a letter asking them if they would accept me with exceptional grades and strong portfolio still waiting for response).:smile:

Kent was also on my list of possibilities, but I can't do the open day and the course didn't seem to appeal so much to me, although I may take a look round later in the year depending how I do this year in exams :smile:

Best of luck to you!! UCL sounds pretty good, it'll be a shame if they don't accept you, reading about their course I presume that it appeals to what I want to do and I have a feeling UCL/Oxford will be my top choices, but I guess time will tell if my predictions are accurate. ( I also realise UCL is very difficult to get into, so whilst it would be lovely I highly doubt I'll manage to get into it )
Original post by Safiyyah95
Thank you very much. I think I should probably do some more research. I mainly picked it because it seemed like the course was good but their requirements werent too high.

I study arch at rgu. I enjoy it, the lecturers are really friendly, you have study trips abroad every year, theres an awesome architecture society and most of the people I knew had conditionals... the entry requirements have risen quite a lot in the last couple of years.

Your other choices are obviously better, so you should go to them if you can, just saying don't judge rgu unless you visit it. And to the person who says they don't know where rgu gets its employment statistics from, they have been the top in Scotland for graduate employment for over 10 years and have been named the top modern uni in the UK for a second year in a row so its not all that bad... it was also one of the first architecture courses to be recognized by the RIBA
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Hello :smile:

I'm thinking of applying to UCL, Cardiff, Oxford Brookes, Porstmouth and I'm unsure on my fifth choice. But its most likely going to be Edinburgh. I just hope my AS results are high enough for me to apply to all these places!
Reply 18
Im still a bit undecided between architecture and civil engineering, but really like the look of Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Liverpool, maybe Newcastle. Im looking at the architectural engineering courses as well, anybody else considering them?
I'm looking at UCL, CSM, Edinburgh, Brighton and possibly Cardiff.
They all have high target grades, but you might as well aim for the best.

Quick Reply