The Student Room Group

Ideas about the first day of sixth form

Hi,
Just wanted to know if anyone's got any handy tips for the first day (in particular) or first year (if that's how far you wish to go! - Any help is really very welcome :biggrin: ) of sixth form.

Just a slightly nervous yr 11 waiting for results day next month and wondering what they can do to prepare for sixth form (I know it's presumptuous but I'm fairly sure I 'll get in ... even if it means not doing the subjects I wish to do - though the subject with the highest grade needed is done for the most part with secure grades for if the exam didn't go quite as expected) - but you didn't need to know all that!

As I said any help is welcomed and perhaps organisation tips, plans, etc. in particular would be really great :smile:

Thank you in advance,
Listener15
Reply 1
Listener15 just be yourself and introduce yourself here's a nice conversation starter:

A"How much does a polar bear weigh?"

B"Uh? I don't know."

A"Enough to break the ice!"

:biggrin:

I can't wait to start college (but I don't want that summer to go!).
Reply 2
Starting sixth firm in September, and I'm weirdly looking more forward to commencing than results day :/

Main points:

Complete and correct Uniform

Small, portable folders for each subject to take to take into school, which store documents relevant to the topic you're currently on.

A box/large folder for each subject, to keep at home, which is used to archive past documents and notes helpful for revision

The requisite stationery, comprehensive with all you need.

A tidy bedroom/study place made as comforting as possible to house your studious hours!

A timetable that organises study plan for a week.

Revision material: highlighters, notepads, post-its etc. Coming into exam time you will become more aware of what materials are more applicable for you

A large pen drive with designated folders for each subject

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by DrumChops
Starting sixth firm in September, and I'm weirdly looking more forward to commencing than results day :/

If it helps, these are my personal prerequisite preparations...

Complete and correct Uniform

Small, portable folders for each subject to take to take into school, which store documents relevant to the topic you're currently on.

A box/large folder for each subject, to keep at home, which is used to archive past documents and notes helpful for revision

The requisite stationery, comprehensive with all you need.

A tidy bedroom/study place made as comforting as possible to house your studious hours!

A timetable that organises study plan for a week.

Revision material: highlighters, notepads, post-its etc. Coming into exam time you will become more aware of what materials are more applicable for you

A large pen drive with designated folders for each subject

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

My god, it's Sheldon Cooper.

Sixth form is sick cause it's so relaxed, spend your first few days seeing how much you can get away with
Reply 4
Original post by Listener15
Hi,
Just wanted to know if anyone's got any handy tips for the first day (in particular) or first year (if that's how far you wish to go! - Any help is really very welcome :biggrin: ) of sixth form.

Just a slightly nervous yr 11 waiting for results day next month and wondering what they can do to prepare for sixth form (I know it's presumptuous but I'm fairly sure I 'll get in ... even if it means not doing the subjects I wish to do - though the subject with the highest grade needed is done for the most part with secure grades for if the exam didn't go quite as expected) - but you didn't need to know all that!

As I said any help is welcomed and perhaps organisation tips, plans, etc. in particular would be really great :smile:

Thank you in advance,
Listener15

Sixth Form is a great stage in your life - at the beginning, it feels great to be so much older than everyone else around you and the atmosphere is pretty relaxed. I used this time to do a lot of socializing, going to events, doing extra sport, etc. Enjoy this period while it lasts, cos' then it begins to get serious towards the business end of the first year - more work, revising for exams and going on study leave (hopefully), not to mention needing to do several extra credits/ extra curricular activities!

As for the very first day, just make sure your life is sorted and you have no immediate problems to worry about. Go in, get talking to people about summer (or something like that), then get back into the swing of lectures and classes i.e. your daily routine until July.

Good luck with your results and this next year, hope this helps.
Reply 5
Original post by Krish4791
Sixth Form is a great ..., it feels great to be so much older than everyone else around you .

wow, i wish i could say the same cos I'm going to a seperate sixth form college in bristol so I will be in the youngest year there :s

feels like being in year 7 all over again :P

but to the OP, I am basically just thinking about what to wear cos i'm gonna keep it fairly safe for the first few weeks so i dont make a bad impression, but still colourful so i dont come across as boring, and then when im more settled i will feel a bit more comfortable expressing my style as per usual :smile:

as for major tips, if you are starting somewhere new, look at a map of where the classrooms are, its what im doing, cos i remember that in year 7 there was nothing worse than getting lost for lessons, now we are 16/17 i dont think we will get away with it quite as much as we used to :P
i'm starting uni this september (grades provided ofc) and this brings me back

OP first day and everyday just be yourself and keep up with the work load as AS is just as important as A2
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks everyone!
It's so kind of you to all have replied :smile:
It all went well in the end, and am definitely going to try hard to do as well as I can ... after realising I could have probably done better in my GCSEs!

Best of luck for all those who are to start uni and are starting college
Thanks again, Listener15

Quick Reply

Latest