The Student Room Group

Bedfordshire Primary Education Interview, bring along an artefact...

Befordshire uni have asked that i bring along an artefact or educational resource that i could use to stimulate learning in a primary school, they then said not a story or a poem.

now apart from something like putting music or a song into learning which i don't have the skills to show in the interview, i can't seem to think of anything, i did think of certain games that could be done in the class room but that isnt an artefact or anything i could take along with me... and it should generate discussion apparently.

help anyone? even just general ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BoomGirl
Befordshire uni have asked that i bring along an artefact or educational resource that i could use to stimulate learning in a primary school, they then said not a story or a poem.

I'm assuming they mean anything then? So any artefact which could stimulate learning about any topic in any lesson? So, maybe a ww2 ration book, or an African talking drum or a fossil maybe? That would cover the artefact thing surely? In terms of an educational resource, something like plasticine; very broad, but you could talk about how you would demonstrate your point in say, science, by getting the kids to make models of atoms or something...I don't know, is that what you mean? :s-smilie:
WW2 ration book is a good idea, or a guitar or bongo drum or something like that.
I had to do this at my interview last year and people brought in such a broad range of things. Things like cameras, a hat they'd made that you could stick shapes on and kids had to guess what shapes were on there, a really old torch thing for a history lesson. We could basically bring in anything that you might use as part of your lesson and then talk for 5mins about how you'd use it, what key stage it'd be for etc.
Reply 4
Original post by BoomGirl

now apart from something like putting music or a song into learning which i don't have the skills to show in the interview, i can't seem to think of anything, i did think of certain games that could be done in the class room but that isnt an artefact or anything i could take along with me... and it should generate discussion apparently.

help anyone? even just general ideas?

Heyy,
Im in the same boat as you.. the problem is that an artefact could mean so many different things! Have you had your interview yet? x
Reply 5
do you present your idea as if you're actually teaching a class? as if the other candidates were the children?
Reply 6
Hi!
I had an interview for Bedfordshire uni last year - you literally can take absolutely anything, i took bongo drums as i thought they were quite versatile. No you don't present as if your teaching a class, you just do a 5-10 minute presentation on how you could use it to benefit learning! Try to choose something versatile that you can adapt and use for different areas of the curriculum which also suits different methods of learning - hands on, written, creative, physical as the more you have to talk about the better you can get your ideas across. I found it helped me to do a mind map of the different areas of the curriculum the artefact can be used for and then went on to develop how it can be used. Just read over it alot so you remember what you have to say but if you forget things dont worry! I completely froze up in my presentation but still got offered a place! Message me if you want any further help - in the meantime, Good Luck!x
Original post by Aimee-Lou
Hi!
I had an interview for Bedfordshire uni last year - you literally can take absolutely anything, i took bongo drums as i thought they were quite versatile. No you don't present as if your teaching a class, you just do a 5-10 minute presentation on how you could use it to benefit learning! Try to choose something versatile that you can adapt and use for different areas of the curriculum which also suits different methods of learning - hands on, written, creative, physical as the more you have to talk about the better you can get your ideas across. I found it helped me to do a mind map of the different areas of the curriculum the artefact can be used for and then went on to develop how it can be used. Just read over it alot so you remember what you have to say but if you forget things dont worry! I completely froze up in my presentation but still got offered a place! Message me if you want any further help - in the meantime, Good Luck!x

Is this the only question they ask in the interview or is there other ones i need to be prepared for? :smile:
Reply 8
Hi what kind of questions did you get asked at the interview?
Reply 9
Hi, I just wanted to know what kind of questions were you asked for the Primary Education interview, and is it same well similar for all universities?
Reply 10
Original post by shobnom
Hi, I just wanted to know what kind of questions were you asked for the Primary Education interview, and is it same well similar for all universities?

I only went to two interviews, because Bedford was the one I wanted to go to, and I heard back quite quickly so cancelled my other interviews - but from what I know, they do ask similar questions to other places :smile: oh, but I'd research education related news before going, have at least three things in mind for your one-to-one interview :smile:
Reply 11
Will you be able to give me a few examples of the questions you were asked? I feel really nervous lol
i have an interview at sunderland, i also have exactly the same situation!
i don't have a clue what to bring in! i'm so confident with children but around adults sometimes i get nervous specially if i don't know them!
does anybody know the kind of questions that prop up, i just don't want to do something completely wrong and look like a right wolly!
Reply 13
Original post by shobnom
Will you be able to give me a few examples of the questions you were asked? I feel really nervous lol

I've slept since then :wink:

One of the questions was what news had I researched I think.. one was about the experience I'd had so far up to that point, and there was stuff about how I'd deal with bad behaviour, and how I had done during my volunteer work.
Reply 14
Oh right thank you :smile:
Original post by Aimee-Lou
Hi!

HEY,

I have an interview this week at Sunderland University, and I need to take an artefact along, can you give me some ideas on what to do?
Reply 16
Original post by georgia_scrappy
HEY,

I have an interview this week at Sunderland University, and I need to take an artefact along, can you give me some ideas on what to do?

What I did was bring in a lightbulb; I tied it into the curriculum of light and shadow, talking about how it could be moved around the room and would affect the shadow length etc depending on where it was. I also said it could be used as an inspirational story, as it took over 10,000 attempts to get the safe and practical bulbs we have today.
Original post by Skip_Snip
What I did was bring in a lightbulb; I tied it into the curriculum of light and shadow, talking about how it could be moved around the room and would affect the shadow length etc depending on where it was. I also said it could be used as an inspirational story, as it took over 10,000 attempts to get the safe and practical bulbs we have today.

I am thinking of doing something geography related as the new 2014 curriculum involves geograhy in depth
Reply 18
Original post by georgia_scrappy
I am thinking of doing something geography related as the new 2014 curriculum involves geograhy in depth

What kind of thing do you have in mind?
Original post by Skip_Snip
What kind of thing do you have in mind?

Taking along a blow up globe and explain how I would get the children to point out the continents and oceans, countries aswell

Quick Reply

Latest