Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you could always come over here and do A levels or something
Reply 2
(DELETED)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Coca-Colita
I also thought of doing IB in the UK but its for kinds aged 16-19 and I'll soon be 20 and will have finished secondary education by that time...:confused:

with IB though you would have to do lots of subjects, whereas for A levels you could just do biology and chemistry
Reply 4
I did my a-levels when I was 19/20 so it wouldn't be a problem.
Reply 5
I thought for Kosice you can take a pre vet course if you don't have the relevant qualifications??? Then you take their entrance exam which I'm told isn't very hard. Could be wrong....
Reply 6
(DELETED)
(edited 8 years ago)
Coca-Colita
to cut a long story short - I picked the wrong subjects for maturita (a-levels), wanted to take additional exams in biology and chemistry so I emailed the ministry of education about the process...
I just got a reply saying that are educational system doesn't allow me to take additional maturita exams from Chemistry and Biology during my gap year which basically means that I'm screwed unless there is something like a Pre-veterinary course which would take on international students. The ones I have had look at are only for the residents of the UK whose parents have not studied at uni so these are out of my league.

What about private/independent colleges/schools? I know that in the UK while some schools may not allow you to do extra a-levels there are some places that will allow you to do so. You may have to pay for the privilege but even then you stand to save a hell of a lot of money compared to doing a degree and entering vet sci as a graduate.

Coca-Colita
I also thought of doing IB in the UK but its for kinds aged 16-19 and I'll soon be 20 and will have finished secondary education by that time...:confused:

Coming from an ex-IB student, steer well clear of it. It's a hell of a lot of extra work for little or no benefit. Stick with the a-levels, it's easier to get better grades which is what counts in most situations, not that you've had a 'rounded' education.
Reply 8
(DELETED)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Coca-Colita
I don't even know where should I start searching for info on these - being an international student complicates a lot of things. Do you think they would allow me to take A-level in the UK even though I don't have AS's and come from Slovakia? I'm not even used to your examination boards, dunno whether it would be doable in one year.

I always thought that IB is somewhat easier than A-levels, dunno why :smile:
How long do you study IB by the way? I think I could give up 2 more year of life but not more :no: I'm already old enough...

You would have to do your AS year as they are half of an A-level qualification. Would still be only 2 years though, same as the IB.
Reply 10
(DELETED)
(edited 8 years ago)
3 - autumn, spring and summer.

I don't really know what the rules are but you could try seeing if you could do your A-levels free/funded or cheaper at one of the state colleges like mine. Private schools would be extremely expensive to study at.
Reply 12
(DELETED)
(edited 8 years ago)
Coca-Colita
I was thinking of this http://www.bellerbys.com/english/courses/alevel.aspx as they normally take on international students but it seems to be more than bloody expensive - 5,600 pounds per semester with accomodation fees excluded is just ridiculous. Or is it normal??

That would be a reasonable boarding fee for most private schools. I think most boarding schools are around £18,000 a year.
I would also look into the prices for a normal college than sorting your own accomodation.

Stay well clear of the IB! It would be a massive waste of effort. It's a very broad, time intensive course which is pretty inapropiate for science orientated degrees as it lacks the depth.
Couldn't you try Brno or Warsaw or somewhere like that. If you go through IMS you are just a regular foreign student so might be eligable for the prevet course.
Maybe you could look into the entry requirements for some of the 6-year vet courses in the UK, such as the ones at notts and RVC?
Coca-Colita
I don't even know where should I start searching for info on these - being an international student complicates a lot of things. Do you think they would allow me to take A-level in the UK even though I don't have AS's and come from Slovakia? I'm not even used to your examination boards, dunno whether it would be doable in one year.

Check out your local schools/colleges, so your school won't allow you to stay on, others might. I know of people I went to school with who went to a local college to do other A-levels when our school wouldn't allow them to stay on. This is by far the cheapest way of doing it, at most you may have to pay for exam papers and local accommodation. Bear in mind that if you are successful you will have to pay for the privilege.

Now if you want/nee to go down the independent school route look in your home country, it should be far cheaper than studying and living abroad. A quick google search threw up this list of Slovakian independent schools, you have nothing to lose from contacting them and explaining your situation.

Now some places do offer a condensed A-level course (ie; you skip the AS year and go straight on to your A-levels). From what I hear it is very hard work but it gets you to where you want to be much quicker if you've got the ability and the determination.

Going to the UK to sit your A-levels is a last resort, it's expensive and it's questionable if you will be able over here to study on a visa to do A-levels.

Bear in mind that I'm no expert I'm just calling on some bits and pieces I picked up from when I was applying, things may have changed slightly since then.

Coca-Colita
I always thought that IB is somewhat easier than A-levels, dunno why :smile:
How long do you study IB by the way? I think I could give up 2 more year of life but not more :no: I'm already old enough...

Easy? You're studying at least 7 subjects as opposed to a minimum of 3, all to an A-level sort of grade on top of trying to get relevant veterinary work experience, on top of CAS (the IB's cheap imitation Duke of Edinburgh's Award), extended essays, all that jazz. If I could do it all again I'd do A-levels, a fraction of the work plus you get so much more time to get work experience, maybe have a job and earn some money, maybe have a life:wink:

The IB course is 2-3 years, most schools condense it into 2 but if you're struggling/fail exams they can allow you to stay on for another year.
Reply 17
(DELETED)
(edited 8 years ago)
Coca-Colita
Is there any difference between British state and private schools, I mean education-wise? I would go for a state school anyway, asking just out of curiosity.

Private/independent schools:
-Better staff:student ratio
-On the whole a better standard of education than your average state school
-Better staff, facilities, range of courses, etc
-Expensive

State schools:
-Cheap or even free
-Worse staff:student ratio
-Sadly in the UK money does on the whole buy a better education despite huge funding of state schools.

Coca-Colita
I also couldn't find any state colleges {grammar schools, sixth forms or whatever the are called :biggrin:} league tables maybe probably I don't exactly know what should I try to google out. How are all schools offering secondary education called in general? Colleges or Grammar schools? It's so confusing :rolleyes:
I'm sorry for being so lame but what do you mean by "paying for the privilege"?

Grammar schools are state schools. They normally have admissions tests, they are normally single sex and they have a good standard of education. Some of the good grammars have a standard of education equal to or better than most independent schools. Colleges are again state schools and generally only teach A-levels/IB to students who are 16+. Then you have comprehensives which make up the rest, mixed sex, non selective, etc.

League tables:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/parentpower/league_tables.php

They can be a bit deceptive because they only take into account A-level results.
I've had a quick look at colleges up here in the Gt Manchester area. Have a look at

/index.htmhttp://www.mancat.ac.uk/international/index.htm
and
http://www.hopwood.ac.uk/index.php?/international/fees/

On City College (Mancat), click on courses, A levels, and then fees. It doesn't say that you can do them in one year, but they may let you if you contact them.

You will see that both of them the fees are for the whole year. I know that there are a number of homestay set ups in Gt Manchester (where you stay at somebody's house) and being a mega student centre there are lots of things set up for students. Life's also cheaper in the north west.

Hope that helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending