The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Clinical Sciences at the University of Bradford

Hey everyone I thought I should create a thread regarding the clinical sciences course in the University of Bradford because I have noticed there aren't any.

When I was applying I had a lot of questions about the whole transfer scheme to medicine and what my chances were and I would have really appreciated it if I could speak to someone regarding the whole process. I came in through the foundation year and was selected for interview at the Leeds school of medicine but unfortunately I was rejected...I knew that medicine was what I really wanted to do so I stayed on to the final year - and thankfully I finally got a place in medicine.

So yeah if you have any questions, want any advice about the course or city etcetera then feel free to ask...I will try my best to answer as realistically and as best as I can.

If you want to do medicine but you didn't quite get the grades like me in GCSEs and A levels but you feel as though you are more than capable then there's still a chance believe me my academic history is really poor and not typical of your average medical applicant.

I don't profess to be the best person at doing this sort of thing, in fact I have never done it before, but I had always said that if ever I got into medicine I would do my best to try and help those others who were desperately struggling.

Thank you and GOOD LUCK :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,

Thank you for starting the thread, i think a lot of people will find it useful.
I have managed to get an interview for the Clinical sciences, its in a few weeks time, and like you, I hope to get into medicine at Leeds. I'm not your regular medical student, I didnt do great at GCSE or my A levels.
I'm nervous about my interview, could you please let me know what kinda stuff they ask? I'm 26 and havent been to uni so I'm struggling to even comprehend what they will ask.

Thanks and takecare
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Hello Samya

I hope you are well. But yeah don't worry about the interview it is not as bad as you might think most if not all of the lecturers are really friendly. You will be interviewed based on your personal statement so if yours is on medicine then be prepared for a medical interview.

As i did not really have any chance of getting into medicine the first time round through UCAS my personal statement was on pharmacy BUT i immediately told them the truth during the interview so this was not a problem.

I cant tell you what questions will come up this year because my interview was almost four years ago but i can give you some idea as to what you should be able to answer based on my interview:

>Why clinical sciences?...I want to do medicine/pharmacy etc...therefore...Why medicine?
>You need to be able to talk about your work experience...no description...ONLY WHAT you learnt!
>Prepare examples when you showed responsibility,teamwork,communication etc
>Know your personal statement...YOU WILL get asked on the work experiences or anything you have written down.
>If its been a while since you have been in education and you don't think you can talk about something sciency if it comes up...then memorise something...i remember talking about cystic fibrosis- they were really impressed with that.
>If you have written hobbies down then make sure you can talk about them a little.

to be honest if youve been selected for interview then you just have to show them that your a likeable person and you have what it takes - i know its really cliched but for my more recent medical interviews - I basically distracted myself and took along a friend to make sure that i was distracted from worrying - that helped alot!!! if you start to think about the interview JUST before the interview...DONT...distract yourself and try to calm down...the interviewers will help you to do that hopefully.

i dont know if that was helpful enough but if you have any more questions...(possibly more about the course or the transfer process than the actual interview)... then please feel free to ask...

finally good luck to you SAMYA!
[iA you will be fine]
...oh and i just remembered know what proteins and hormones are.... wikipedia will be fine :P
Reply 4
I was a Clin Scier and would definitely recommend the course to anyone who is thinking of doing medicine.

I came into first year and got to the Leeds interview stage but I didnt get an offer too. But I did get an offer in the end and the benefit of being a graduate has definitely helped!

Any questions feel free to ask!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi I have an interview for clinical sciences at bradford next week. Iwas given an interview after I applied through extra, because I was rejected for medicine :frown: obviously I want to do this for the Leeds transfer. I was wondering, could anyone help me, whats the success rate of interviews for the actual clinical sciences course? and what is the interview like?

Thank you! xxx
Hi there,
can somebody please help me out...
Iv currently got an offer from foundation clinical sciences at bradford, and want to apply for a transfer to leeds for medicine. However, if thats unsuccessful then is it possible to apply for pharmacy as well????
Does anybody know the deadlines between each application and is this even allowed?

Thanks alot, feedback plzz
Reply 7
The Dean (when I went for interview) said Pharmacy interviews and offers are before the Leeds transfer date, so you can't do both. You have to be really dedicated to one or the other
Reply 8
Hey guys, whoever has done the foundation clinical sciences, can you tell us what you gotta learn/know before you go in terms of biology and chemistry etc....would be useful to prepare a little beforehand :smile:
sorry its been a while since ive checked this page cos its the holidays and i barely go on my laptop!

anyways some questions may have been answered already but ill just answer what ican incase i provide anything different that may b of help.i apologise if it is too late now but nonetheless the response if it wasnt useful you (sorry) it may help someone in he future

firstly when i applied to clinical sciences i applied to the foundation yr rather than year 1 because i thought if i couldnt transfer to medicine at leeds then i could opt to do optometry or farmacy...i found out a few weeks later this was not probable as the farmacy and optometry departments dont like to see themselves as a backup when there are students who ACTUALL Y want to study hese as a first choice

from my foundation year experience i would say that all you really need to ono is THE VERY basic elements of chem and bio...as in gcse level...i found that the chemistry content was similar to my as level...altho i understnd it has gotten A LITTLE bit more difficult now...the biology however was a little bit harder than alevels but the exams were easier...MCQ :biggrin:!!!

if u have a place in clinical sciences then you hav met the criteria and have the basics the rest is upto u and the course to learn! btw i personaly dont advise revising anything now...its pointless u will hav more than enough time throughout the year just keep on top of it...hope that helps

BTW IF SUMEONES REQUIRES AN URGENT RESPONSE PERHAPS IT IS BETTER TO SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO CATCH MY ATTENTION AND THEN POST YOUR MESSAGE ON THE WALL...as i am not notified by simplewall posts...just a suggestion :biggrin:

thanks good luck
Reply 10
I am thinking of applying to the Bradford Clinical Sciences course, purely on the basis of transferring to medicine at Leeds after the first year.

I phoned the admissions tutor and you must get 70% or more on each module, and they let UP TO 20 people through. What im asking is really what is the success rate?, when you did your course, were there alot of disappointed people who did not get onto the course?
Reply 11
Hii,
I got AAB and hence missed my medicine offer unfortuately. I got a place to do biomed through clearing but im thinking of dropping out and applying for clinical sciences. Can i ask how many are admitted each year and how many are transfered to leeds?
Original post by Ralphus J
I am thinking of applying to the Bradford Clinical Sciences course, purely on the basis of transferring to medicine at Leeds after the first year.

I phoned the admissions tutor and you must get 70% or more on each module, and they let UP TO 20 people through. What im asking is really what is the success rate?, when you did your course, were there alot of disappointed people who did not get onto the course?

hi ralphus...quite frankly everyone that does clinical sciences wants to transfer to medicine at leeds...HOWEVER i hav NUMEROUS friends that have transferred across...yes only twenty people can transfer but given that in foundation year i think the chances are a little better because no disrespect you are competing with often MORE people who perhaps are not as 'clever'...

in my year the same rules for transfer applied u needed 70percent overall and 70percen in chemisty WHICH IS VERY IMPOrtant...a friend of mine had one of the highest overall averages in my year 80 or sumthin percent BUT she didnt have a 70percenin chemsitry and so could NOT applyfor medicne bear that in mind!!!

in my year i was one of 18 people ONLY to get the grade in a class of approx 70or a few more people. ALL of us were invited for interview...14 ppl transferred across successfully and i was one of 4 ppl hu were unfortunately rejekted-these are VERY good odds particularly aince i cn honestly say my interview performance was terrible i barely had any work experience. altho bare in mind i thi k theres about 100 maybe a litle bit more students and so itl probz be a little bit greater the number of people getting the grades

i would say realistically the chances are good and achievable depending on
-ur ability to meet the entry requirment 70percnt etc
-and then the usual personal statemnt and interview are EVERYTHING...u need to practice for that....so far every one that i kno that has achieved the grades wede called to interview...except for a year1 group a few year back when some people were rejekted without interview but i think this unlikely

i hope thathelps ive written quite alot its a bit wordy i kno but i jus wrote it off the top of my head so yeah if u need clarification or further explanation on something feel free and i wil get bak asap.

good luck take care
...jus to quickly add i do think its a bit more difficult in terms of the sheer number of people that are competing for it but at the same time MOST will not get the grades...as is the case with the previous years.thanks
Original post by Majiqal
Hii,
I got AAB and hence missed my medicine offer unfortuately. I got a place to do biomed through clearing but im thinking of dropping out and applying for clinical sciences. Can i ask how many are admitted each year and how many are transfered to leeds?

hi majiqal you did well in ur alevels firstly well done...its unfortunate that the grades have gone so high that its limited people such as yourself who are more than capable....ANYWAY perhaps read the post above to get an idea of how much chance there is etc and ask me again if there is anything ur unsure of i wil get bak to asap.

i kno ur probably double minded already but just so u know my opinion of clinical sciences compared with biomedical i have quite alot of friends on there and we often shared some classes together. to try and help u here is wot i have gathered theyre just my opinion but i beleive them to b tru :

-biomedical sciences is more lab orientated than clincal sciences DEFO!
-clinical sciences IN bradford is harder in terms of intensity and more human body orie ntated...biomed friends concur with me on that
-clinical sciences IS really medically orientated cos everyone wants to do it and has transfer exits to medicine in foundation year andyear 1 (and as a graduate at year 3 which is also available after biomed)
-where i would say biomed is massively better than clinical sciences is that after the three years you are in fact a biomedical scientist whereas as after completing your degree in clinsci you are still NOT a clinical scientist u just have a degree in cliical sciences...i was really annoyed to find that out midway
-clinical sciences doesnt lead into a job as a clinical scientist if u dont do med ITS A GOOD STEPPING STONE to do something else such as MEDICINE...OR EVEN LAW etc

BUT dnt misintrepret the last bullet point I VALUE CLINSCI OVER BIOMED anyday (probz biased i recognise)...because evnb if i were to do biomed i would hav carried on with somethig else masters or sumthing just to get into med and i strongly beleive and still do that i had a better chance with clinsy so thats y i never did biomed...obviosuly with the tuition fees you need to ask if you dnt get acroos on clinical sciences to med would u b able to afford to stay on and apply as a graduate and if u dnt manage to get a place as a graduate because it doesnt lead straight into a job could you finance some more training or education etc!

its a risk applying to medicine BUT u have thw greatest chances of gettin in with clinsci in my opinion...all i am saying is be prepared to have a backup wherever you decide to go whatever course...my backup was a masters in cancer and then reapply to med again!

hope thats not confused u ask if u need clarificatio i understand its a difficult decision

thank you .good luck

take care
Reply 15
Firstly thanks for the reply, i phoned admissions and they said 60 people applied for the foundation and leeds took 20 people, so fairly good!

My story is, i didn't take chemistry for a level, ive only recently become interested in medicine. Am i likely to struggle? Maybe i should consider learning the basics of chemistry in my gap year. My grades are ACC Art,Biology(so close to a B), Physics. Just thought id let you know :smile:

Thanks again, this course is looking rather good.
someone sent me the following message i have posted it on the wall incase it helps someone else so it doesnt need to be reasked again and it doesnt seem personal or anything private :biggrin:

QUOTE: "hi i want to apply for the foundation clinical science course this year and then i would like to go and do pharmacy so i was wondering what will i have to do how long would i have to do the clinical science course? and what would i have to talk about in my personal statemnt? :confused: "

hi there if you are able to get the grades for the foundation year then this IS possible please see the website for added info on the entry requirements
...as u want to applyfor pharamcy after doin the foundation year then you wil participate in exactly the same classes as the other medical prospective students on the foundaion year and (I AM NOT SURE YOU NEED TO RING UP AND ASK TBH) ithink around late january time/february EVERYONE will be given the option to apply tor the other courses e.g pharmacy or optometry...you canNOt apply for these as a backup to med its one or the other...if u choose to apply to e.g *pharmacy then u will need to get the minimum gradepercentage I DNT KNO WHAT it is now but ithink it wil be 70now with the rise in uni competitions...in my time i think 4or5 people chose to do pharmacy or optometry my very close friend is now an optometrist he achieved round 60sumthing percent but they let him in dependin on the number of alevel applicants in august...

...im sorry i dnt know much bout the pharmacy transfer except that it is possible and a goal for several ppl coming on to do the foundation yeAr YOU NEED to ring up and ask DEFO plz

thankstake care good luck
Hi
how hard is it to get into yr1 clin science? is it more about academics or personal statement or about being local or from underrepresented group in medicine?
THanks
Original post by Ralphus J
Firstly thanks for the reply, i phoned admissions and they said 60 people applied for the foundation and leeds took 20 people, so fairly good!

My story is, i didn't take chemistry for a level, ive only recently become interested in medicine. Am i likely to struggle? Maybe i should consider learning the basics of chemistry in my gap year. My grades are ACC Art,Biology(so close to a B), Physics. Just thought id let you know :smile:

Thanks again, this course is looking rather good.

hi ralphus dont worry about it!!
and if u havent done chemistry then you will no doubt struggle more than those that have BUT the course is designed so that those with no chemistry or biology can cope...so you should be fine its not a big deal...one of my favourite [and everyone elses favourite] lecturers there Dr Carpenter [if u get her as a personal tutor you are SOOO lucky - i got her :biggrin:] ...and she sed to me wen i was struggling with sumthing that stuck with me:

"...if your struggling...then your learning something..."

so yeah if ur willing to work hard then itll be fine just keep ur head down :biggrin:...if u want to use a gap year to learn sum chemistry then tahts fine perhaps pop into sum chem lessons at college - i used to do that cos i was struggling bak in the day...i went to my chemistry periods and then someone elses..it helpd.

if u need anything else let me kno ill get bak to u wen i can

take care

good luck
Original post by thesweatyfox
Hi
how hard is it to get into yr1 clin science? is it more about academics or personal statement or about being local or from underrepresented group in medicine?
THanks

hi it depends on your grades u need to chek the ucas tariff points as these wil b subject to change every year.

it is about meeting the entry requirements..theres no real specific thing...but the application apparently is competitive because so many people want to hav it as a abckup route for medicine or do not have the grades in teh first place for medicine so my only advice is do the best you can....sorry its not that good advice but its true they are more bothered about the entry requirements as a whole rather than one thing....oh and i think you have to be a uk national student...but chek that!

thanks take care

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending