The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

The Official Carr-Saunders Hall Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by BMTronMania
can you bring tv's into rooms? Is there a limit to the size of the tv (inches)? Do you have to pay a TV licence? Do you have to pay extra electricity costs? If so, how much?

What Milan said. You really don't need a tv in your room, there's a massive one for watching tv in the common room and one for playing PS3 on too. Plus a tv license is well over a 100 quid. Definitely not worth it.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 201
may i ask what is the approximate temperature of the rooms?

would short sleeved t-shirts and short pants suffice in the rooms?
or do we need to wear long sleeved n long pants?
Reply 202
Original post by enriq123

Ermmm, I couldn't give you an approximate temperature but it's generally quite hot, for reasons I cannot explain. So I wouldn't worry too much about ever being cold, the rooms have heating too.
Original post by BMTronMania
can you bring tv's into rooms? Is there a limit to the size of the tv (inches)? Do you have to pay a TV licence? Do you have to pay extra electricity costs? If so, how much?

You can bring in whatever sized TV you wish, though anything over 32" is way too big for the size of room you have really. They won't charge you anything extra for electricity either, that's only for fridges/freezers.

You DO NOT need a TV license, not even in the legal sense as the rooms are not equipped with an aerial connection and thus you can't watch live TV and anything you use the TV for will be through laptop/games console instead.* So please ignore Gareth as he talks out of his arse on a pretty much permanent basis.

(Though TV Licensing Company will send you letters throughout the year threatening you for no reason other than the fact you're a student and thus by nature thieving and deceitful).
Reply 204
Original post by DaveParlour
You can bring in whatever sized TV you wish, though anything over 32" is way too big for the size of room you have really. They won't charge you anything extra for electricity either, that's only for fridges/freezers.

You DO NOT need a TV license, not even in the legal sense as the rooms are not equipped with an aerial connection and thus you can't watch live TV and anything you use the TV for will be through laptop/games console instead.* So please ignore Gareth as he talks out of his arse on a pretty much permanent basis.

(Though TV Licensing Company will send you letters throughout the year threatening you for no reason other than the fact you're a student and thus by nature thieving and deceitful).

Hadn't occurred to me that there were no aerial connections in the rooms, so yeah as usual Dave is right and I'm just talking out of my arse.

As Saunders is fairly warm your birthday suit is always sufficient attire even in the winter, in fact it is a statutory requirement every other Sunday.
Reply 206
Original post by DaveParlour
As Saunders is fairly warm your birthday suit is always sufficient attire even in the winter, in fact it is a statutory requirement every other Sunday.

Dave, just because you felt it necessary to offend everyone by lounging around half naked does not mean it is okay to encourage others to do so.
Reply 207
Original post by oakbluffs
Dave, just because you felt it necessary to offend everyone by lounging around half naked does not mean it is okay to encourage others to do so.

i'm afraid 'oakbluffs' has it wrong here- every second sunday is naked second sunday, a carr saunders tradition dating back to the pre- welsh era of the presidency, when times were better and saunders students could roam the halls without requests to accompany the tyrant to hospital
Reply 208
Original post by AaronJP
i'm afraid 'oakbluffs' has it wrong here- every second sunday is naked second sunday, a carr saunders tradition dating back to the pre- welsh era of the presidency, when times were better and saunders students could roam the halls without requests to accompany the tyrant to hospital

Was this also a time when one could enter the common room without being asked to smell the nether regions of a certain Scandinavian deviant?
Reply 209
thanks alot for answering my previous question.

another question. it says on the offer that on the day we arrive, we are to report to the reception between 2-6pm. however, my flight is scheduled to touch down at 6-ish in the morning. so, im wondering if it's ok for me to arrive at like 9/10 in the morning? or would i still have to wait till 2pm for them to assign me to a room?
furthermore, what documents would i need to have when reporting at the reception.

thanks again.
Reply 210
thanks alot for answering my previous question.

another question. it says on the offer that on the day we arrive, we are to report to the reception between 2-6pm. however, my flight is scheduled to touch down at 6-ish in the morning. so, im wondering if it's ok for me to arrive at like 9/10 in the morning? or would i still have to wait till 2pm for them to assign me to a room?
furthermore, what documents would i need to have when reporting at the reception.

thanks again.

The reason we're asked to report to reception between 2 and 6 is to give them time to turn the roooms around, because before you move in there will have been commercial guests staying in your room throughout the summer. So I expect you'll have to wait until at least 2 to be assigned your room. It won't be a problem for you to arrive at 9/10 in the morning though, and they'll be happy to look after your luggage for you if you want to go off and explore a bit to kill some time. I and the rest of the committee should be around too, so be sure to say hello!
Just wondering if there was a plan for Freshers for Carr Saunders like Rosebery has with dress up nights and stuff?
Reply 212
Hello,

Sorry to disturb you guys...

I have a shared room in Northumberland (male), and would like to swap to a single room in any of the halls.

For its location, the rate of the room is really good!

Please let me know and PM me or contact me on [email protected]

Thanks!
Reply 213
Original post by Ooo'Yeah
Just wondering if there was a plan for Freshers for Carr Saunders like Rosebery has with dress up nights and stuff?

Of course there is, all will be revealed soon.
Reply 214
Hi Guys,

I'm Gareth and I'm the Hall President of Carr-Saunders for this year, which means if any of you end up at Saunders in September I've got the job, along with the rest of the committee, of organizing your Fresher's Week. I remember when I was applying for accommodation I had so many questions, and often it was hard to find someone to talk to. So if you're after a small hall (150 undergrads, almost no postgrads) that's in a really great area and only a short walk from LSE then you should really consider Carr-Saunders. Feel free to ask anything you like on here. I can't promise you an unbiased answer, because my time here's been wicked so far, but I can tell you anything you want to know, even the negative stuff. You can get a decent description of the halls on the LSE accommodation site, but it doesn't really say anything about the student experience at Saunders, so that's where I can help you the most.

So fire away.:borat:

Can I rely on the iron in the hall or I should bring my own?
Reply 215
Original post by fedorca
Can I rely on the iron in the hall or I should bring my own?

Rather embarrassingly, I didn't use the iron last year. It should be good enough though, and if it isn't, if you tell management I'm sure they'd be willing to replace it.
Reply 216
Original post by darrold
Bankside sucks

Can you elaborate.?
I like it that they have pte rooms and bathrooms, food provided. Would appreciate more input
Reply 217
Original post by Alpha5
Hi, at CS what's the social life like? Are most student international, obviously it varies year to year depending on applications, but generally speaking what have your experience been. I also like backside, what do you think about this hall?
Thanks

social life is good in every lse hall if you make it good
as long as you're at carr saunders, rosebery, passfield, bankside or high holborn you'll have a good time

if you like "backside" as you've spelt, then i reccomend LSE LGBT society at freshers fair

if you meant bankside hall, then yeah its a good hall, big rooms ensuite and theres a restaurant for food, its LSE's biggest hall aswell so you'll hopefully make friends there
Reply 218
Original post by Milan.
social life is good in every lse hall if you make it good
as long as you're at carr saunders, rosebery, passfield, bankside or high holborn you'll have a good time

if you like "backside" as you've spelt, then i reccomend LSE LGBT society at freshers fair

if you meant bankside hall, then yeah its a good hall, big rooms ensuite and theres a restaurant for food, its LSE's biggest hall aswell so you'll hopefully make friends there

Haha...sorry I meant Bankside, the automatic spell check on my iPad out sometimes does this.
Thanks for the advice.
Reply 219
Hi Guys,

I'm Gareth and I'm the Hall President of Carr-Saunders for this year, which means if any of you end up at Saunders in September I've got the job, along with the rest of the committee, of organizing your Fresher's Week. I remember when I was applying for accommodation I had so many questions, and often it was hard to find someone to talk to. So if you're after a small hall (150 undergrads, almost no postgrads) that's in a really great area and only a short walk from LSE then you should really consider Carr-Saunders. Feel free to ask anything you like on here. I can't promise you an unbiased answer, because my time here's been wicked so far, but I can tell you anything you want to know, even the negative stuff. You can get a decent description of the halls on the LSE accommodation site, but it doesn't really say anything about the student experience at Saunders, so that's where I can help you the most.

So fire away.:borat:

hi, can you give me some information about LSE's cancellation policy? I mean if i apply for Carr-Saunders but am made an offer for some other hall, can I choose not to go and rather arrange private accommodation? If yes, how much do they charge for cancellation?

thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending