The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography resit January 18th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by sclez1
Thought it was a bit unexpected. I put about the increases in flooding and the effects that would have, then about coastlines of emergence and the effects they would have, good and bad. Looking back i should have said something about wildlife

I did this too, and I wrote about Hurricane Katrina just because I wanted to get a case study in but I don't think it was relevant :P

Really not sure how I got on, I wrote loads and answered every question, dreading the result :frown:
Reply 41
What was the answer to the types of tide one with the diagram of the moon and sun?
Reply 42
Original post by lfcfred09
I did this too, and I wrote about Hurricane Katrina just because I wanted to get a case study in but I don't think it was relevant :P

Really not sure how I got on, I wrote loads and answered every question, dreading the result :frown:

I think it depends if you kept it referring back to the question, you could make it work? Same, really wish we were given more time! Desperately hoping for an A
Reply 43
Original post by sclez1
What was the answer to the types of tide one with the diagram of the moon and sun?

Spring is when the sun is behind the moon, it like emphasises the moons effects and Neap is when the sun is at a right angle to the moon so it diminishes its effects :smile:
Reply 44
Last year I chose 'health' despite studying 'energy' all year, real bummer. Having said that, got a D.

This year I didnt revise, decided to spend time on subjects where an A was in comfortable reach whereas if I'd spent more time on Geography I doubt A's would have been possible from the others.

Having said that, I did read the book a couple hours before the exam and some pretty easy stuff I thought came up.

Rivers - Last question was a breeze... I talked about: impermeable surfaces such as roads and buildings, also how drainage systems quickly revert water back to the channel = increased surface run off = reduced lag time = more likely of a flash flood. Also talked about reduced vegatation in the area, leading to reduced interception and evapotranspiration = faster lag time + increased total discharge in river as more gets there without evapotranspiration. For the natural side, talked about the size, gradient, climate, relief (nearby mountains etc) and sort of materials within the drainage basin.

I was surprised by the questions before, everything but Deltas could have been done by a non geography student...

Glaciers was a bit more difficult... the last question was something on sustainable development, used the transaltalnic oil pipleine to show how development can be sustainable (no thermokarst) and also talked about code of conduct for tourism, and restrictions on fishing.

Population was okay... the last question I just decribed each stage and the affect on the population structure, only gave one example.. iran. Still was something like : Stage 1 - High D/B rates = low life expectancy = Pyrmadil shape population structure. Then just kept working down throughout all the stages, talking about longevity increases resulting a 'buldge' moving upwards. Obviously explained a bit more then described.

Energy.. Hmm really dont know, hardly revised it. I didnt really no the difference between primary energy and secondary energy X_X just sorta took the guess and said Primary energy is required for the conversion and creation of secondary energy, then just gave examples... Anyway the last question was simple enough, Russia want valuable crap, not on their lands, other people want the crap. Obvs explained in more detail.

Would be delighted with a C tbh, whatever happens I'm retaking anyway. Hope people can see my post and get others view on the answers!

- Cheers
(edited 12 years ago)
What was the answer for the second question on rivers? (the one were you had to say a month about precipitation)
Reply 46
For the last Q on rivers, I talked about all the human and physical causes that can occur ( basically the same as you). Then to back it up with a couple of case studies, I wrote an awful lot about the mississippi, simply because the management scheme basically turned what would have been a relatively minor flood into a disaster...then for the physical causes, I wrote mostly about Bangladesh :smile: And then as a conclusion I just said how, the physical causes are the most important in causing the flood, but the human causes are more important as to increasing the size of a flood and so on and so forth...oh and for Richard Lambert1, maybe 110mm and July? can't quite remember :/

Did coasts instead of glaciers :smile:

Did more or less the same as you for the last question on population..can't remember what I wrote in detail at all :smile:

Think primary energy is direct (like using oil to power a car) and secondary energy is indirect (using a primary energy source to heat water so that it turns in to steam, turns a turbine and produces electricity). By the last question, do you mean the second to last question about conflicts? I didn't have time to answer that and thought 5 marks would hopefully not be too much to lose...but for the very last question, about appropriate technology, I wrote about different techniques they use in LEDCs to provide cheap, affordable and sustainable energy sources :smile: Such as using cow dung for heat, electricity etc, and then using wet sand to cool down foods and what not :smile:

Hope it helps...it's good to talk anonymously about exams!
Reply 47
Hated the coasts bit. Got spring and neap tide right..wasn't too shte what to write about rising sea levels..also cant believe CHD came up again!
Anyway really hope everyone gets what they want!
Does everyone who did glaciers think that just talking about the trans Alaskan pipeline in detail would be a sufficient answer for the 15 marker on sustainable development? And what the heck did everyone write for the health 15 marker on a periodic famine!? That was by far the worst question for me :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by nicole_hod
For the last Q on rivers, I talked about all the human and physical causes that can occur ( basically the same as you). Then to back it up with a couple of case studies, I wrote an awful lot about the mississippi, simply because the management scheme basically turned what would have been a relatively minor flood into a disaster...then for the physical causes, I wrote mostly about Bangladesh :smile: And then as a conclusion I just said how, the physical causes are the most important in causing the flood, but the human causes are more important as to increasing the size of a flood and so on and so forth...oh and for Richard Lambert1, maybe 110mm and July? can't quite remember :/

Did coasts instead of glaciers :smile:

Did more or less the same as you for the last question on population..can't remember what I wrote in detail at all :smile:

Think primary energy is direct (like using oil to power a car) and secondary energy is indirect (using a primary energy source to heat water so that it turns in to steam, turns a turbine and produces electricity). By the last question, do you mean the second to last question about conflicts? I didn't have time to answer that and thought 5 marks would hopefully not be too much to lose...but for the very last question, about appropriate technology, I wrote about different techniques they use in LEDCs to provide cheap, affordable and sustainable energy sources :smile: Such as using cow dung for heat, electricity etc, and then using wet sand to cool down foods and what not :smile:

Hope it helps...it's good to talk anonymously about exams!

All valid responses apart from "using oil to power a car", oil is refined and therefore can be considered a secondary energy source. Good luck when your grades come back in march
Reply 50
Original post by popnit
Hated the coasts bit. Got spring and neap tide right..wasn't too shte what to write about rising sea levels..also cant believe CHD came up again!
Anyway really hope everyone gets what they want!

what's CHD? Honestly, can't remember that bit...hope I didn't miss it out!
For rising sea levels, I was a little stumped as well..I wrote about eustatic and tectonic change and then talked about the landforms (estuary, rhias, structural rhias etc), but I wasn't too sure if they would be classed as impacts as such...then after, I just completely bull ****ted it and wrote about how rising sea levels could cause increased erosion, the water may heat up causing coral bleaching effecting the ecosystem and how if the sea level rises by 1m, it could cause 30% of farm land to be underwater and so chemicals would drain into the sea killing a lot of the sea life...the second part is all a bunch of crap and half of it is totally made up, but you never know...
Reply 51

what's CHD? Honestly, can't remember that bit...hope I didn't miss it out!
For rising sea levels, I was a little stumped as well..I wrote about eustatic and tectonic change and then talked about the landforms (estuary, rhias, structural rhias etc), but I wasn't too sure if they would be classed as impacts as such...then after, I just completely bull ****ted it and wrote about how rising sea levels could cause increased erosion, the water may heat up causing coral bleaching effecting the ecosystem and how if the sea level rises by 1m, it could cause 30% of farm land to be underwater and so chemicals would drain into the sea killing a lot of the sea life...the second part is all a bunch of crap and half of it is totally made up, but you never know...

I spoke to my teacher and he said coastlines of submergence wasn't an impact..but the rest of what you said seems ok :smile:

There was a question on non-communicable disease..that was the CHD question...think it was 6 marks.
Reply 52
What did everyone think about the population structures question...oh and famine..
I thought they could've been a lot worse.
Reply 53
Original post by popnit
What did everyone think about the population structures question...oh and famine..
I thought they could've been a lot worse.

Found it relatively straight forward

Just talked about how it starts off a pyramid in stage 1.. and a buldge works its way up as longevity increases.

Obvs in more detail.
Reply 54
anyone doing the resit for as skills on tuesday? :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by scared!
anyone doing the resit for as skills on tuesday? :smile:

Yeh I am. I got an A in it last year though (It was only just an A so that's why I'm resitting it) so haven't done much revision yet lol- will do it this weekend.
Reply 56
Original post by Harry.K
Yeh I am. I got an A in it last year though (It was only just an A so that's why I'm resitting it) so haven't done much revision yet lol- will do it this weekend.

Yeah i got a B in it but want a A to avoid resitting the big paper! hehe! i haven't yet either, the field work bits not tooo hard just working out how to justify! just not sure if it will be population or riveers?:L
Reply 57
Original post by scared!
Yeah i got a B in it but want a A to avoid resitting the big paper! hehe! i haven't yet either, the field work bits not tooo hard just working out how to justify! just not sure if it will be population or riveers?:L

Yeh I figured it would be easier to resit this paper rather than the one with all the case studies! and yeh the field work part is pretty easy, the same questions seem to come up every year or so, like "what was the aim" "describe one method used for primary data collection", etc. and it was population last January, and for the June paper it was Rivers so if the pattern continues then it will be population which would be perfect! (hate rivers).
Reply 58
Original post by popnit
I spoke to my teacher and he said coastlines of submergence wasn't an impact..but the rest of what you said seems ok :smile:

There was a question on non-communicable disease..that was the CHD question...think it was 6 marks.

ok, crappers, didn't think it was...my teacher said it would be alright though oddly enough (but he may have been wrong)!

cheers for that, it's made me feel a little more settled! Awesome, we didn't do health so luckily I'm not missing anything too vital- thank god!
Reply 59
Original post by Harry.K
Yeh I figured it would be easier to resit this paper rather than the one with all the case studies! and yeh the field work part is pretty easy, the same questions seem to come up every year or so, like "what was the aim" "describe one method used for primary data collection", etc. and it was population last January, and for the June paper it was Rivers so if the pattern continues then it will be population which would be perfect! (hate rivers).

Oh god yeah, so much to remember with every other exam too!:L hmm yahhh, my teacher said it could be rivers because the pattern is pop pop, rivers, rivers, pop, pop get me :L but i hope it turns round becaause its so much easier to do population! :frown: Its more common sensey aswell!x

Quick Reply