The Student Room Group

Transferring or re-applying to Oxbridge from an overseas university?

I am currently living in South Africa and am due to start my undergraduate degree at the University of Cape Town in Feb this year. I really, really want to go to a UK university for the quality of teaching and experience, and because I am planning to emigrate and settle in the UK as a long-term plan; I was planning to apply to several UK universities for 2012 entry but the applications fell through due to financial trouble. As I am a straight-A student and was offered a merit scholarship from UCT, I see no reason I should not aim high and at least try for Oxbridge.

What I want to know is, would it be possible for me to transfer (if necessary re-starting from first year) to an undergraduate degree at Oxford or Cambridge in 2013, given that I get the required academic results and adequate references from my UCT lecturers? I am aware that Cambridge in particular does not as a rule accept transfer or mature students, but I got the impression that this is mainly for students studying at UK universities rather than overseas. And if it is not possible to transfer as such, could I still be considered for 2013 entry having completed one year of undergraduate study in South Africa?

Thank you for your help and advice. x
Reply 1
Original post by shazbot
I am currently living in South Africa and am due to start my undergraduate degree at the University of Cape Town in Feb this year. I really, really want to go to a UK university for the quality of teaching and experience, and because I am planning to emigrate and settle in the UK as a long-term plan; I was planning to apply to several UK universities for 2012 entry but the applications fell through due to financial trouble. As I am a straight-A student and was offered a merit scholarship from UCT, I see no reason I should not aim high and at least try for Oxbridge.

What I want to know is, would it be possible for me to transfer (if necessary re-starting from first year) to an undergraduate degree at Oxford or Cambridge in 2013, given that I get the required academic results and adequate references from my UCT lecturers? I am aware that Cambridge in particular does not as a rule accept transfer or mature students, but I got the impression that this is mainly for students studying at UK universities rather than overseas. And if it is not possible to transfer as such, could I still be considered for 2013 entry having completed one year of undergraduate study in South Africa?

Thank you for your help and advice. x

You wouldn't be able to transfer, I'm afraid. You'd have to go through the regular UCAS procedure and apply all over again.

Bear in mind, though, that even if you get a place you can't rely on getting a scholarship as well (which I'm guessing you are, since you specifically mentioned financial problems). There aren't very many undergraduate scholarships for international students, and for most of those that exist you'd be competing with practically every other international offer-holder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending