The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
No. The offer is conditional on A2s. Scottish students can get unconditionals after S5 though.

What are S5s and why is that?
Reply 1201
Original post by sgeorge11

s5 is the year you sit highers.
Original post by sgeorge11

The fifth year of secondary school, roughly equivalent to AS in age but not quite equivalent academically. They take 5 Highers, which are non-modular, so no resits, and if they get AAAAB or above they get an unconditional, but are still expected to complete S6 (Advanced Highers). AS levels aren't the same, because they're modular, you can resit bits, and generally you're only taking 4, so they want to see what you get overall at A2. Scottish students who get less than AAAAB at Higher can get Conditional offers based on 2 or 3 (I can't recall which) Advanced Highers, which are supposedly slightly beyond the scope of A2.
Original post by NMx11
What makes you think that? :smile:
I really hope you're right, this waiting is getting too much for me! :frown:

I have no idea. Call it gut feeling. Yeah i hope I'm right too. Good luck to you :smile:
Original post by DrWannabe
For some reason i've had it in my head from the start that offers will come out week beginning the 12th March. So just over 2 weeks to wait :smile:

I think :smile:

Naaah, they are still interviewing until mid-march, and handing out invites at the start of March (with two week's notice). My guess would be the week beginning 19th but possibly 26th :redface:

Hoping your guess is right though!
Hey, does anyone know roughly how many interviews are left? Aberdeen's my only choice left and I'm kind of stressing out :smile:
Reply 1206
Hello everyone,

As for myself, I received my second and third rejections from Edinburgh and Southampton. I asked for feedback from Edinburgh and they said my academic score was very good but the non-academic score was below average. As for SOTON, I'll ask for feedback tonight. However, Edinburgh offered me to apply for the medical sciences program, to which I agreed. I'm still waiting to hear from them. The problem is that where I live, they don't let non-nationals do clinical work and such, and there aren't many extra-currics usually in this country as well. AGHH. So my last hope is Aberdeen in the UK, and I have a plan B in Ireland. But now I'm starting to think a plan B for my plan B (i.e. a plan C :P ) It's just so frustrating, especially the fact that the two rejections came almost two to three weeks apart. Oh, well, c'est la vie (Edit: Translation: This is the life.). Oh, and a quick question: Do they usually have the A100 in extra if anyone gets all rejections?

Regards,
Hisham.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by spannerface
Hey, does anyone know roughly how many interviews are left? Aberdeen's my only choice left and I'm kind of stressing out :smile:

BUMP
Original post by HishamG
Hello everyone,

As for myself, I received my second and third rejections from Edinburgh and Southampton. I asked for feedback from Edinburgh and they said my academic score was very good but the non-academic score was below average. As for SOTON, I'll ask for feedback tonight. However, Edinburgh offered me to apply for the medical sciences program, to which I agreed. I'm still waiting to hear from them. The problem is that where I live, they don't let non-nationals do clinical work and such, and there aren't many extra-currics usually in this country as well. AGHH. So my last hope is Aberdeen in the UK, and I have a plan B in Ireland. But now I'm starting to think a plan B for my plan B (i.e. a plan C :P ) It's just so frustrating, especially the fact that the two rejections came almost two to three weeks apart. Oh, well, c'est la vie. Oh, and a quick question: Do they usually have the A100 in extra if anyone gets all rejections?

Regards,
Hisham.

A100 does not go into Clearing or Extra. Aberdeen operates a waiting list, which is not an official UCAS policy, but allows them to give places much later in the cycle if they discover that they have spare places - this list is formed of people who just missed out on places earlier in the cycle, and places are given in rank order of score.
Reply 1209
With regards to the geographical nature of their interviewing, I am Northern Irish and twenty out of the thirty people interviewed on my day were from Northern Ireland, three from my town!
Also, I would look back through this thread but it is VERY long, anyone know what percentage of offers have been given out?
Also, do they only contact by letter?
Thaaanking you :smile:
Original post by KateR94
With regards to the geographical nature of their interviewing, I am Northern Irish and twenty out of the thirty people interviewed on my day were from Northern Ireland, three from my town!
Also, I would look back through this thread but it is VERY long, anyone know what percentage of offers have been given out?

As far as I am aware no offers for Aberdeen have been given out and at the interview they told us end of march!
do you mean the rest of applicants which aberdeen has not replied yet will be a rejection??????:frown:
Original post by 2020durian
do you mean the rest of applicants which aberdeen has not replied yet will be a rejection??????:frown:

Nooo they are still giving out interviews until the end of march as far as I am aware!
Reply 1213
Original post by 2020durian

No no, they'll still be interview invites going out in the next week or so :smile: but since they usually give 2 weeks notice and the interviews finish mid-March I wouldn't think they'll be too many more after this. So never fear yet, still got time :smile:
Good luck to anyone with an interview today!

How is everyone feeling that is waiting? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to focus on Uni work, just want to know! :frown:
Original post by noregrets
Good luck to anyone with an interview today!

How is everyone feeling that is waiting? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to focus on Uni work, just want to know! :frown:

Well it's technically March so i can say this month you WILL know what you're doing with your life. Scary stuff hey :smile: Best of luck.
Original post by KateR94

If you want to know who's got offers for what check the medicine stalking page.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry

Noone's got any offers for Aberdeen as of yet.
Well it's technically March so i can say this month you WILL know what you're doing with your life. Scary stuff hey :smile: Best of luck.

It's still February today.

Foiled again I'm afraid :tongue:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
It's still February today.

Clever. 'Technically' March.... How insulting :P

Quick Reply