The Student Room Group

Should I say at my job interview that I'm going to uni in September?

Hey :smile:

So, I've been looking for a job since October - I'm on a gap year and need a job. I've been signing on since October too. I've applied to I don't know how many jobs... and not heard back from any of them. The job centre told me not to tell any perspective employers that I'm going to uni in September.

Now, this is the first job that's offered me an interview. The interview is tomorrow morning. It's for a full-time 9am-5.30pm call centre admin job. Should I say at the interview that I'm starting uni? I can imagine that it would severely reduce my chances of getting this job for obvious reasons...

This would be my first job and also my first interview ever... Advice please?
Reply 1
Not if you want the job.
Obviously not. I assume you've tried registering with temp agencies as that would better suit your situation?
Reply 3
If you want the job, keep quiet, if you don't want the job, tell them.
Reply 4
No. I got rejected because I did that. From the employers point of view they'd rather hire someone long term than spend time training someone new after you leave for uni. So don't say anything if you want the job. They might ask you what your plans are for the future. If they do just say that you want to save money for travel. That's how I got my current job and I don't plan to tell my boss that I'm leaving for uni until I hand in my notice. Just 'cause it might get akward.
Reply 5
Original post by rainy_days
No. I got rejected because I did that. From the employers point of view they'd rather hire someone long term than spend time training someone new after you leave for uni. So don't say anything if you want the job. They might ask you what your plans are for the future. If they do just say that you want to save money for travel. That's how I got my current job and I don't plan to tell my boss that I'm leaving for uni until I hand in my notice. Just 'cause it might get akward.

Ok thanks. How much notice are you supposed to give before you quit a job?
Reply 6
Lol don't tell them if you want to get the job!
Reply 7
Original post by inadilemma
Ok thanks. How much notice are you supposed to give before you quit a job?

It's usually a month. It's always specified in your contract though so remember to read it if you get the job :wink: Good luck.
Reply 8
It's usually a month. It's always specified in your contract though so remember to read it if you get the job :wink: Good luck.

Thanks. The interview was supposed to be this morning but it's being rearranged for next week because I'm really ill atm...
Good luck for it. :woo:
Reply 10
no dont be silly, tell them about it in august if you get the job
I'm sorry but honesty is the best policy here. The phrase I'll use is 'be nice to people on the way up, you'll meet them on the way down.' They may remember you if you happen to be looking for work after your uni career. However if you're short on money, sod it. :smile:

I agree.
Just dont say anything. Then if you get the job, dont tell them untill you come to hand your notice in.
Reply 13
Original post by inadilemma
Hey :smile:

So, I've been looking for a job since October - I'm on a gap year and need a job. I've been signing on since October too. I've applied to I don't know how many jobs... and not heard back from any of them. The job centre told me not to tell any perspective employers that I'm going to uni in September.

Now, this is the first job that's offered me an interview. The interview is tomorrow morning. It's for a full-time 9am-5.30pm call centre admin job. Should I say at the interview that I'm starting uni? I can imagine that it would severely reduce my chances of getting this job for obvious reasons...

This would be my first job and also my first interview ever... Advice please?

No, don't tell them. Its a call centre... they have a high turnover of staff anyway, its not like some small business who you will be letting down by not mentioning all your circumstances.

Check your notice period though (not during the interview) but if you get offerred the job, check when you'd need to hand in your notice.

If they ask about your future plans just say that you're hoping to work hard and develop your career starting from the bottom and training on the job as you don't want to incurr debts in education etc and you think that is the best way to really learn about a business and work. You want a customer facing career as you really enjoy dealing with people and solving problems. You enjoy detail and are conscientious and organised.... If they ask what your weaknesses are choose a positive that you express as a weakness like, 'well I do sometimes tend to be a perfectionist or to take on too much extra work so I've had to learn to make sure I manage my time really well in order to achieve this'. Think of some practical ways you manage time... like prioritising important tasks, keeping a list of things to do etc. Obviously you can use your own examples of strengths and weaknesses, these are just ideas.....

At the end of the job:

If they look suspicious when you do hand in your notice, as you may require a reference from them in future, say that you changed your mind and have decided to go to university after all via clearing or something. Remember to say how great it all was there etc as you will have to work a month's notice!! Ask if there is any chance of temporary work in the long holidays and leave your number and available dates with a manager or HR in case they need quick cover at any point in the future. Always try to leave any place with a good reputation so work extra hard if you get the job as you never know what will come in useful in future. If they have a branch in the area where you are going to uni. ask if there is any temporary or part time work available there.

Good luck! I'm sure that you will be great.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending