The Student Room Group

How Bad is flying with Ryanair? Experiences please

Im thinking of booking flights with Ryanair.

My last two flights abroad have been with BMI and Easyjet (before these it was always non-budget airlines). The first of which was OK (but I believe we were somewhat lucky), the Easyjet experience was very good-didnt expect the high level of service we got from a supposed budget airline. With either of these our hand luggage dimensions/weights were not checked- though Easyjets allowance is more than generous.

I have always avoided Ryanair because of the few horror stories I have heard. But in this scenario, I have no choice- the flights I want are only available through them. The bonus is the quoted price for the flights is ridiculously low.

So what are your experiences with Ryanair? Good, Bad or OK?

Absolute Main Concern, is the hand luggage. Do they use dishonest tactics to make sure you pay their fees e.g. dimensions/weight wise? And other things I should be aware of (apart from 'admin fees')?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You'll live...probably.
Reply 2
Flown ryanair twice, both flights were good!
We panicked about the whole baggage size thing, but where we boarded (Barcelona and Leeds) they had no problem unless they bag was like an obviously big suitcase!
Reply 3
They are the most likely by a long way to check your bag size if it is big, then you're subject to a £50 fine you can't avoid unless you can fit everything in your pockets. I wouldn't take the risk.
Reply 4
Ryanair are great as long as you don't expect more than they say they will provide.

And it's mainly common sense. Ryanair will fly you from Airport A to Airport B. Don't expect that to be city centre to city centre.

If you don't turn up in time to check in or board, you won't fly. These times are published and you agree to them. If they miss their take off slot, they have to pay for another one, and that means we all have to pay more

If your bag is bigger or heavier than they say you are allowed, then they will make you pay. That's hardly a secret. The sizes and weights are published.

Ryanair's prices are low because they can save money by running their business this way. If I get a lower price because of that, I'm all for it.

So, summary.

Book with Ryanair. The website will try to get you to buy all sorts of paid extras like priority boarding, car hire, baggage allowance, luggage, insurance. Just tick no. You don't have to buy these.

Check how far away the airport actually is from where you want to be. Stockholm Skavsta is a long way from Stockholm centre.

Make sure that everything you put in is correct, including dates/times/names/passport because if it is wrong, they can (and often will) make you pay extra to change it. Although I've never had them scrutinise my passport to see the numbers and expiry dates match, I have known of cases where misspelt names have not been accepted.

Check in online and print your boarding pass on a good quality printer. Several copies if necessary. If one won't scan, you'll have to go to the desk and pay to have a boarding pass issued.

Check the size and weight of your bag is within guidelines before you travel.

Turn up on time, with extra to take into consideration any delays. Advance flights may be cheap, but ones booked on the day are in the order of hundreds of pounds and they won't rebook you on a later flight.

Don't expect a refund if you don't fly, unless you have proof of a good reason, which usually includes providing some sort of death certificate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by marcusfox
Ryanair are great as long as you don't expect more than they say they will provide.

And it's mainly common sense. Ryanair will fly you from Airport A to Airport B. Don't expect that to be city centre to city centre.

If you don't turn up in time to check in or board, you won't fly. These times are published and you agree to them. If they miss their take off slot, they have to pay for another one, and that means we all have to pay more

If your bag is bigger or heavier than they say you are allowed, then they will make you pay. That's hardly a secret. The sizes and weights are published.

Ryanair's prices are low because they can save money by running their business this way. If I get a lower price because of that, I'm all for it.

So, summary.

Book with Ryanair. The website will try to get you to buy all sorts of paid extras like priority boarding, car hire, baggage allowance, luggage, insurance. Just tick no. You don't have to buy these.

Check how far away the airport actually is from where you want to be. Stockholm Skavsta is a long way from Stockholm centre.

Make sure that everything you put in is correct, including dates/times/names/passport because if it is wrong, they can (and often will) make you pay extra to change it. Although I've never had them scrutinise my passport to see the numbers and expiry dates match, I have known of cases where misspelt names have not been accepted.

Check in online and print your boarding pass on a good quality printer. Several copies if necessary. If one won't scan, you'll have to go to the desk and pay to have a boarding pass issued.

Check the size and weight of your bag is within guidelines before you travel.

Turn up on time, with extra to take into consideration any delays. Advance flights may be cheap, but ones booked on the day are in the order of hundreds of pounds and they won't rebook you on a later flight.

Don't expect a refund if you don't fly, unless you have proof of a good reason, which usually includes providing some sort of death certificate.

Great advice. But did sort of know all this. As long as theres no immoral tactics to get the fees, Im happy :smile:
I've flown with them 6 times, and I've never had a problem :smile:
Reply 7
I flew to Dublin and back with Ryanair, never had any problems :smile:
Flown with them once; was fine.
Reply 9
Take your sunglasses on the plane with you because daymn those seats are yellow!
Original post by TruetoMyself
Great advice. But did sort of know all this. As long as theres no immoral tactics to get the fees, Im happy :smile:

Hah, if you want what appear to be 'immoral tactics' you should read this that allegedly happened a couple of months ago.

http://www.wizzairsucks.com/2012/02/completely-screwed-by-wizzair-a-love-story/
Reply 11
They're fine, I mean don't expect anything fancy, you get what you pay for but it does the job.
Reply 12
Had a personally bad experience with them, noones luggage turnt up for about 2 hours! was super annoying..
Full of Junkys...trust me i've had first hand experience.
Flown with them a fair few times and never had any bad experiences. Yes, it's no frills, so don't go expecting anything fancy, but it's perfectly acceptable. Just don't be late and don't expect to get on with a bag that's obviously too big (although we have gotten on with bags that are too big, but they weren't hugely over the limit like some people try).
I flown with them like 8 times (plus return flights - 16) in the last 2 years and I never had a bad experience. The only thing that annoys me about this company (apart from the luggage restrictions) is that they dont shut the **** up at all during the flight.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by balletlover
Flown with them a few times :smile: no problems. Although I do prefer flying on easyjet, less cramped and more comfortable I thought

Agree Easyjet rock....just shame no flights for my dates, otherwise I would have gladly paid their slightly higher rate
Reply 17
Original post by gearoid94
They're fine, I mean don't expect anything fancy, you get what you pay for but it does the job.

Happy with that :smile:
RyanAir are a nightmare, dreadful check-in staff, forced to pay extra to put luggage in hold as I was over the size limit due to my hoody that I could of worn on the flight but the check-in dip**** said that was not allowed and forced me to check it in... my laptop was damaged due to this and I have yet to receive any money for repairs that had to be done.

In-flight was crap, only one stewardess that was nice the others just threw what you ordered at you and looked displeased to be there and then upon landing I had to wait for an hour for my luggage because somehow they had redirected it :s-smilie:

That was the first and last flight I had with them going to France, I only fly Air France (France), KLM (Netherlands), Lufthansa (Germany/Eastern Europe) and Swiss (Switzerland)... all of which I have credit cards (well it is actually two cards as AF and KLM share a credit card and the same applies to Lufthansa and Swiss :biggrin:) for so I can get miles on purchases :colone:
Reply 19
read the baggage allowance etc and check what your actually clicking on the website and you'll have no problems

Flown with them over 50 times in the past 15 years and never had a single problem....except possibly leg room but then I'm quite a bit taller than the average -,-

Quick Reply

Latest