The Student Room Group

Deferring after offer and keeping place?

hi, I've got all my offers and not firmed or insured yet and I wonder if it is possible to defer one year, for autumn 2013 instead of 2012?

And still keep my place at the uni?

Cheers!
Reply 1
You need to ask the uni. Some will agree to this. However, they will probably want to know what you intend to do in your gap year - it doesn't have to be expensive, but even something like getting a job will be better than lying in bed all day. It also depends on the subject, as they may like you to keep up with recent developments or for something like maths you need to practise regularly or you can forget it all.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You need to ask the uni. Some will agree to this. However, they will probably want to know what you intend to do in your gap year - it doesn't have to be expensive, but even something like getting a job will be better than lying in bed all day. It also depends on the subject, as they may like you to keep up with recent developments or for something like maths you need to practise regularly or you can forget it all.

Thank you for your answer.
What are the chances that universities accept a student to defer

Can I email them anonymously?

Thanks
Reply 3
It's usually not a problem, i've never known anybody have a problem when asking if they can.
You have to firm your first choice though before you ask them, you can't defer and just keep all 5 of your offers on UCAS.
Usually not a problem at all, all you need to do is email and ask!
Reply 5
It really depends on the university. I've heard that some won't do it except if you have extraordinary circumstances like family issues, etc.
But you can always email them and just ask - all they can do is say no!
Reply 6
Original post by lejonnat
Thank you for your answer.
What are the chances that universities accept a student to defer

Can I email them anonymously?

Thanks

Why would you email them anonymously? You'd then have all the hassle of creating a new anonymous email account for the question - and the answer will vary by course anyway and may even be different for different people - only to then have to go through the palaver of emailing them again when you actually want to ask them!

You're just wasting their time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending