The Student Room Group

Essay writing

I plan on taking pyschology in sixth form this september. I hear it requires a lot of essays so I was wondering if anyone who is doing pyschology at the moment or any other subject that requires a lot of essays, could give me tips on essay writing and the essentials to get As and Bs when it comes to essay writing. Thank you :smile:
Not really, you get about half page answers at the most at AS, don't know about A2 though.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
Not really, you get about half page answers at the most at AS, don't know about A2 though.

When it comes to pyschology, and any other A level, do you get revision notes and stuff? And things to help you with essay writing?
Original post by Safiya122
When it comes to pyschology, and any other A level, do you get revision notes and stuff? And things to help you with essay writing?

some teachers will give revision notes but for others you'll need to write notes in lessons which personally I prefer.

I don't do any essay subjects so I can't comment on the latter question.
The teacher will go over the structure so don't worry.

What exam board? And yes, Psychology is alot of work but you're fine if you put alot of effort in.
Reply 5
Original post by Miracle Day
The teacher will go over the structure so don't worry.

What exam board? And yes, Psychology is alot of work but you're fine if you put alot of effort in.

AQA :smile:
I do psychology with AQA at the moment and am doing my final A2 exam this June. We make notes in class and my teacher also gives us a revision booklet. In AS there are far less essays. Usually shorter questions with one or two 10/12 mark essay questions. In the Jan A2 exam you have 3 larger essay questions. Similar for A2 June exam. I tend to make essay plans for each possible topic that will come up. I don't write out full essay answers, just key points to include. Psychology is all about evaluation too, so if you include those as well you should be fine :smile: that's working for me so far, as i have an A. I wouldn't worry about remembering all the psychologists names that did the studies. It's very hard to do! As long as you know the study itself and evaluation points etc it's fine :smile:
Reply 7
Most if not all colleges will offer essay writing sessions to students so I wouldn't worry too much. Once you've got the basic format and referencing skills understood you're sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest