The Student Room Group

When is the final deadline for work to be in for BTEC's?

I am studying a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Sport. I want to know when the final deadline for all work is? No one in my class knows but I am sure the deadline is very soon (even though we still have 3 pieces of pass work still to start, 2 pieces of merit work and 1 distinction to start - plus there are resubmissions some of us have).
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question but what do you mean "3 pieces of pass work still to start, 2 pieces of merit work and 1 distinction to start"? How is your work laid out exactly, if I may ask?
Reply 2
I think I know what you mean, you have some tasks that correspond to a certain pass, merit or distinction criteria e.g. P1, M1 or D1; you are saying that you have 3 of those P's, 2 merit tasks and a distinction task to start.

In regards to the deadline, my tutor has requested my work be handed in the end of this month which gives me 2-3 weeks to do everything up to my target which is all distinctions; this I assume is to ease the process of marking and internal verifying.

I'm doing Extended diploma in IT so I don't know if its any different to the qualification you are doing.
Original post by sliceofcake
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question but what do you mean "3 pieces of pass work still to start, 2 pieces of merit work and 1 distinction to start"? How is your work laid out exactly, if I may ask?

We get assignments and on that assignment there is pass criteria which is the easiest, merit criteria on the assignment which often leads on from the pass work, and distinctions which is the hardest and often leads on from the merit work. Eg the pass work may be to describe what each of the muscles do in the body, the merit work may be explaining why it is important for the muscles to do their jobs (using examples), and the distinction may be to evaluate how successfully the muscles do this.
Original post by nmr1991
I think I know what you mean, you have some tasks that correspond to a certain pass, merit or distinction criteria e.g. P1, M1 or D1; you are saying that you have 3 of those P's, 2 merit tasks and a distinction task to start.

In regards to the deadline, my tutor has requested my work be handed in the end of this month which gives me 2-3 weeks to do everything up to my target which is all distinctions; this I assume is to ease the process of marking and internal verifying.

I'm doing Extended diploma in IT so I don't know if its any different to the qualification you are doing.

Thanks. If your BTEC is the same as mine then I got a lot of work and not a lot of time
Reply 5
I've pretty much finished all the passes, just got some practical work to do (installing hardware and edexcel is asking for photographic evidence), get some feedback and do some corrections if necessary which all should be done in a couple of weeks.

My tutor has set the deadline himself, not edexcel, since last year it was put 'til end of June because the whole class was behind on the work that was meant to be done since it was stated that the last assignment was due e.g. 30th March 2011. The policy was that you were meant to pass the unit before the deadline otherwise you'd get a fail. (meaning you had to achieve all passes in all the units before or at the deadline). Any work above the pass criteria such as Merit and Distinction we were allowed to do during June and July, i've actually opted to do last years units up to Distinction if I have time.
Original post by nmr1991
I've pretty much finished all the passes, just got some practical work to do (installing hardware and edexcel is asking for photographic evidence), get some feedback and do some corrections if necessary which all should be done in a couple of weeks.

My tutor has set the deadline himself, not edexcel, since last year it was put 'til end of June because the whole class was behind on the work that was meant to be done since it was stated that the last assignment was due e.g. 30th March 2011. The policy was that you were meant to pass the unit before the deadline otherwise you'd get a fail. (meaning you had to achieve all passes in all the units before or at the deadline). Any work above the pass criteria such as Merit and Distinction we were allowed to do during June and July, i've actually opted to do last years units up to Distinction if I have time.

I wish my teachers were as flexible as that!
Original post by blair turgott
We get assignments and on that assignment there is pass criteria which is the easiest, merit criteria on the assignment which often leads on from the pass work, and distinctions which is the hardest and often leads on from the merit work. Eg the pass work may be to describe what each of the muscles do in the body, the merit work may be explaining why it is important for the muscles to do their jobs (using examples), and the distinction may be to evaluate how successfully the muscles do this.

I get that layout, it's the same as mine but when we get a brief to do we are given the units it covers and what we need to do to get each grade. If we don't get what we want then we can resubmit it but we've never actually taken a piece or a unit and said "this needs a merit/this needs a distinction". The only exception being for the final project so we get the grades we need for university. Thanks for explaining, I guess the way we approach BTECs and grades depends on subject and the tutors :smile:
Reply 8
Are you in your first or second year?
If it is your first year, then as long as you Pass all units, the deadline can be a bit more flexible, as you can upgrade in the second year. But keep in mind that you will have a HUGE amount of catching up to do in your second year.

If you are in your second year, then most colleges will be submitting grades to the exam board by the 18th June. You really need to be asking your teacher or Head of Department for a definitive date, especially as you still have quite a lot to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending