The Student Room Group

I am delaying going to university by a year, still worth applying for Maths?

I've recently decided that I am not ready to go to university yet and my choices were unwise so I am going to reapply next year. I have heard that most colleges don't like applicants who defer entry, especially for Maths. I am writing this basically to see if it is worth applying.

I have A*s in Maths and Further Maths that I finished early (97% and 87% UMS averages respectively) and I am expecting an A in Physics. I am taking STEP I,II and III soon which I am expecting to get at least 1,1,1 in. (The standard Cambridge offer + STEP I).

I applied to Queens' College, Cambridge last year (for Maths) and was rejected after interview although I really feel that I messed up and could have been better.

In my feedback they pointed out I had a low UMS and although covered by the special access scheme, my AS grades must have put them off (AAD) which will no longer be an issue if I get A*A*A + STEP grades I'm guessing.

In my year out I intend to do lots of Maths related work experience/voluntary work. I am currently helping tutor offenders on probation with basic maths and will possibly soon be helping first year Business undergrads at Nott. Trent who have no experience of A-Level Maths (with A-Level Maths of course, not business).

I will also self-teach A-Level Economics and learn (or at least familiarise myself with) some first year undergraduate applied maths to keep my maths fresh e.g. I have gone through the calculus and the dynamics lecture notes off of the Oxford website and am about to try the problem sheets (Yes, I am a nerd) I am hoping that this extra studying I plan to do will be enough to compensate for a year out. Regardless, I intend to do it for my own satisfaction anyway.

Also are there any colleges that you know of which would not mind the fact that I am taking a year out.

Thanks

EDIT: I am not applying for deferred entry as such. I am going to reapply to university due to personal circumstances to start in October 2013.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd email around a few colleges you like the look of. Maths is the one subject that REALLY doesn't like you taking a gap year, from what I understand...
Reply 2
Maths is pretty neutral towards gap years, provided you have something worthwhile to be doing in the year and this needn't be mathematical in nature. The maths department's deferred entry policy reads

"Deferred entry applications in Mathematics, its Joint Schools, and Computer Science will be considered from applicants who have planned structured activities in their gap year; activities might include technical employment relevant to Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science, teaching abroad or a gap year programme. If uncertain, applicants should raise any questions with the tutors at their chosen/allocated college; tutors may discuss details of the gap year during interviews. After discussion with the candidates, some deferred entry applicants may be offered an immediate place instead. There is no policy for making more demanding offers to candidates seeking a deferred offer. Tutors will typically set successful gap year applicants academic work to be completed during the year or the summer before their first term in Oxford."

and can be found at

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/admissions-criteria
Reply 3
Original post by oh_1993
I've recently decided that I am not ready to go to university yet and my choices were unwise so I am going to reapply next year. I have heard that most colleges don't like applicants who defer entry, especially for Maths. I am writing this basically to see if it is worth applying.

I have A*s in Maths and Further Maths that I finished early (97% and 87% UMS averages respectively) and I am expecting an A in Physics. I am taking STEP I,II and III soon which I am expecting to get at least 1,1,1 in. (The standard Cambridge offer + STEP I).

I applied to Queens' College, Cambridge last year (for Maths) and was rejected after interview although I really feel that I messed up and could have been better.

In my feedback they pointed out I had a low UMS and although covered by the special access scheme, my AS grades must have put them off (AAD) which will no longer be an issue if I get A*A*A + STEP grades I'm guessing.

In my year out I intend to do lots of Maths related work experience/voluntary work. I am currently helping tutor offenders on probation with basic maths and will possibly soon be helping first year Business undergrads at Nott. Trent who have no experience of A-Level Maths (with A-Level Maths of course, not business).

I will also self-teach A-Level Economics and learn (or at least familiarise myself with) some first year undergraduate applied maths to keep my maths fresh e.g. I have gone through the calculus and the dynamics lecture notes off of the Oxford website and am about to try the problem sheets (Yes, I am a nerd) I am hoping that this extra studying I plan to do will be enough to compensate for a year out. Regardless, I intend to do it for my own satisfaction anyway.

Also are there any colleges that you know of which would not mind the fact that I am taking a year out.

Thanks

For Cambridge, I think I remember seeing a document (i think it was a maths applicants handbook or something) that showed what each college thought of gap years. There were definitely some colleges that were absolutely neutral towards them, while some colleges didn't like them. For Oxford, I'm not sure if there is a similar document or whether you would actually have to email the colleges separately.

Also, as the guy above quoted, they don't want you to spend a year without doing maths just holidaying. However, it sounds like you've got lots of maths planned, so I don't see why that would be a problem. Have you thought about possibly doing AEA maths next year or doing some modules to get an additional further maths AS/A level? They might like it if you were actually working towards some formal maths qualifications.
My mistake: apologies for the misinformation. What I had originally written is what I had heard/read in the past :getmecoat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending