The Student Room Group

Claiming JSA in the summer before uni

Does anybody know if you are allowed to claim jobseekers in the summer before you go to university. I am currently applying to sign on for the summer while I look for a job but they are trying to get me to sign up for apprenticeships which I don't need to do because of uni. Am I allowed to say to them that I am planning on going to uni so an apprenticeship won't work or will they say that I am not entitled to claim JSA.

Surely you are allowed to because you don't have any loans for uni yet and you haven't actually enrolled till September so if anybody has any knowledge about this it would be very much appreciated :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You do realise it's not just free money but money in return of not being able to find a job? If you are not actively seeking employment, you are not entitled to JSA.
Reply 2
Yes I do realise that hence the reason it's called JOB SEEKERS ALLOWANCE.

Please can I get only get helpful answers...
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think you can because you're still technically a full time student.
There are loopholes around it, just pretend to be applying for apprenticeships and what not.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I don't think you can because you're still technically a full time student.

You definitely can, I've heard of it before. I'm not old enough myself.
Reply 6
I'm not "technically" still a full time student though because I have signed off from my college course and I have not yet enrolled on the university course which means I am not a student right now.
Reply 7
Original post by JChristy
Does anybody know if you are allowed to claim jobseekers in the summer before you go to university. I am currently trying to sign on for the 3 months to try and get some money and they are tying to get me to sign up for apprenticeships which I don't need to do because of uni. Am I allowed to say to them that I am planning on going to uni so an apprenticeship won't work or will they say that I am not entitled to claim JSA.

Surely you are allowed to because you don't have any loans for uni yet and you haven't actually enrolled till September so if anybody has any knowledge about this it would be very much appreciated :smile:

If you are 18 you can't but if you are 19 or over you can (I think), that's what I'm doing. Any jobs they give you you have to apply for, otherwise you don't get your money. You can say that you may be going to uni but I've found that I still get pushed towards apprenticeships and pernament full-time work.
Reply 8
I'm 20, I don't mind applying for jobs but there aren't any near my area so I need the JSA money really.
Reply 9
Oh you may have to go to a couple of random events too. I have to go to a job fair today, but I am actually genuinely interested, I may find something a bit different to do :smile:
Reply 10
You can between sixth form and uni as long as your parents aren't claiming child benefit for you.

Between years at uni you can't (generally, there are some exceptions)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Ah I didn't go to sixth form though because my school was terrible. I think I will just say to them that I might be going uni in september and that apprenticeships aren't the right way to go for me, I don't see why they make you apply for them anyway because it's called job seekers implying you are looking for jobs and not apprenticeships..
Reply 12
Don't blame bankers for this country been up the creek- blame spongers like the original poster of this thread.
Original post by Juno
You can between sixth form and uni as long as your parents aren't claiming child benefit for you.

Between years at uni you can't (generally, there are some exceptions)

If that's true, my local job centre cheated me - parents stopped receiving child benefit on the day of my last A-level exam, but I was told I was unable to claim JSA before I went to university. :mad:

Original post by JordanUK
Don't blame bankers for this country been up the creek- blame spongers like the original poster of this thread.

The government are going to screw you over for every penny they can get out of you, you should claim everything you can get from them. Besides, nothing in OP's post suggests he isn't intending to look for a job. :wink:
I can't help you with the questions as I didn't claim it and would personally not feel right about claiming it either. I just wanted to say my friend works for a recruitment agency and has been told to find out if someone has claimed jsa and if so, they are a no for certain companies. Not sure how common this is and whether it would affect you but worth knowing about incase it comes as a shock. I also think companies doing this is wrong considering jsa is there to help people in difficult situation but there must be a loophole where they can.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15

Spongers? I'm claiming job seekers until I can find a job which will be at most 3 months of claiming it because in case you haven't noticed, you need money to live. I'm sure when I get my degree and start earning money I will pay back the money in no time at all because unlike some people I'm doing a worth while degree so if you want to blame anybody blame people that do terrible degrees and don't pay the money back which they borrowed. Oh and my dad pays about £30k tax per year so I'm sure he has pretty much covered me for longer than 3 months.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Ah I didn't go to sixth form though because my school was terrible. I think I will just say to them that I might be going uni in september and that apprenticeships aren't the right way to go for me, I don't see why they make you apply for them anyway because it's called job seekers implying you are looking for jobs and not apprenticeships..

Sixth form was just a general term for any form of education. It doesn't necessarily have to be sixth form - I usually say school for everything but thought that might be too confusing here.
Does anybody know if you are allowed to claim jobseekers in the summer before you go to university. I am currently trying to sign on for the 3 months to try and get some money and they are tying to get me to sign up for apprenticeships which I don't need to do because of uni. Am I allowed to say to them that I am planning on going to uni so an apprenticeship won't work or will they say that I am not entitled to claim JSA.

You can, technically you are not a student. I know a couple of friends who claimed JSA before going to University.
Reply 18

Also if you read the thread correctly it clearly states that I am not looking for apprenticeships so I have no idea where you got the notion that I am not looking for jobs.
Reply 19

Lol i acc just signed on this morning and I start uni in september, they said everything was fine just don't say your going to uni unless they ask you. They are sending my application to head office but the woman said everything was fine and I should get my first payment friday. The tax man overcharged me last year so an eye for an eye as they say.

Latest

Trending

Trending