The Student Room Group

Muse Society II - Join the Resistance!

Scroll to see replies

Also, will this be the song previewed tonight?
Since the song is the 'main official song' for the Olympics, and was written specifically for it, does that suggest it won't be on the album?

Regardless I'm not listening to any previews, I wanna listen to the whole song without any preconceptions.

jerseymackem
Also, will this be the song previewed tonight?

Yes! Here's the official announcement on Muse's website:

http://muse.mu/news/article/785/muse-write-official-song-for-the-olympics/
*anticipation*
LOL
Reply 6264
What do you think about the Survival?

I love it, it literally has everything that I love MUSE for: instrumental part, great vocals and guitar solo that makes me shiver :colone:
Reply 6265
Original post by rich2606
LOL

Indeed, the first 2 minutes and lyrics are so ridiculous and silly, its funny but the song definitely gets better and is pretty damn epic when Matt starts screaming and the riffs come in, so half not very good, but half awesome!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Olie
Indeed, the first 2 minutes and lyrics are so ridiculous and silly, its funny but the song definitely gets better and is pretty damn epic when Matt starts screaming and the riffs come in, so half not very good, but half awesome!

I loved it, I think, but there is no denying it is completely and utterly ridiculous. I expect Matt to grow a moustache to complete the Freddy Mercury transformation.
Well that was certainly interesting... :tongue:

I liked the classical part at the start, although I preferred the classical part in the first part of the album trailer and it did drag on a bit.

When the piano part with the 'ahhs' started I thought they were having us on, but it's not that bad. But I didn't like the extra vocal parts that came in later with the deep male voice and high female voice.

I loved the rock bits, I think it's a flashback to old Muse but with a bit of added bombast. I take heart in the fact it was heavier than anything on The Resistance.

All in all, it could've been worse. And it wouldn't be Muse if it wasn't over the top. :giggle:

Also, cue the Queen comparisons...
Listened to it for the first time right now. its EPIC. overblown and rocky and awesomeee
I think it's meh... it's either a grower or one that I'll actually hate in a few months... a bit like USOE (started hating it after a while after an initial meh reaction).
They've always written overblown music but this takes it to a new level.
Gone a bit Regina Spektor at the start.

Boring tbh. They've over done the classical intro part into a rocky verse and chorus.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6271
Great instrumentals but those lyrics. Cheese overload
Interesting. I'm going to need to sleep on it, I think.
Hmm, I'm not so sure yet. The prelude was brilliant, and I did love the epic ending. However, is it just me, or has the singing become irritating all of a sudden? It just seems like Matt Bellamy's trying to be too much like Matt Bellamy, if that makes sense...
Original post by RedDevilThing
Well that was certainly interesting... :tongue:

I liked the classical part at the start, although I preferred the classical part in the first part of the album trailer and it did drag on a bit.

When the piano part with the 'ahhs' started I thought they were having us on, but it's not that bad. But I didn't like the extra vocal parts that came in later with the deep male voice and high female voice.

I loved the rock bits, I think it's a flashback to old Muse but with a bit of added bombast. I take heart in the fact it was heavier than anything on The Resistance.

All in all, it could've been worse. And it wouldn't be Muse if it wasn't over the top. :giggle:

Also, cue the Queen comparisons...

This.

Though a) a few bits of the Resistance sounded like Queen anyway, and b) it's not really a bad thing - in places it almost sounded slightly like Bohemian Rhapsody, especially with the vocals.

The guitar bits towards the end were excellent.

I've already bought it on iTunes, and I think I'll probably end up watching all the olympic programs right to the end just to catch the song again :P
RACE! IT'S A RACE! AND I'M GOING TO WIN! YES I'M GOING TO WIN! I'LL LIGHT THE FUSE! AND GRAB ME SOME BOOZE! YOU WON'T PULL AHEAD! BECAUSE I HAVE A SLED! I'LL KEEP UP THE PACE! BY MAULING YOU WITH A MACE!

In all seriousness, I kinda liked it. It feels a smidge disjointed and it's definitely a little all over the place - I'm not quite sure how the classical intro and the staccato piano a minute in end end up going into a mental guitar riff by the end - but I don't think it's such a bad thing actually.

Worst part of me is clearly the lyrics, which kinda detract from what I think could have been a fantastic instrumental piece (with some work and adaptation, obvs), which says a lot as I usually take into account that Matt sings a load of *******s when I'm listening to him.

All of a sudden I have a bit of hope for the next album. I'm not expecting Origin II, but I no longer think it'll be fighting to claim the spot the second-to-worst album they've ever released :tongue:
Reply 6276
I'm not a fan, I don't think. =[

I do like that it is a bit frantic, but once it gets going it sounds a bit militaristic and mix that in with the vocals and it seems weird to me.

Agree with RedDevilThing too, for the most part.

It wasn't as bad as I expected, and well it was't brostep.
I've decided that Matt's son must have written the lyrics. They're absolute ****e. I think that's my problem with the song now I've considered it. Musically it's ok... maybe someone will make an instrumental.
Reply 6278
Can't say I'm a fan. It's a mess and the lyrics are just lame. Disappointing :/
absolutely godawful

such a shame, I love Muse's first 4 albums and consider seeing OOS at reading the greatest live piece of music I've ever seen

Quick Reply

Latest