The Student Room Group

The Persian Society (UKL Iranian Society)

Scroll to see replies

mangomaz
Did you used to be jusfarhan?....
Yup :smile:
Reply 41
nimz
come on people has everyone forgotten about the most famous Persian restaurant BEHESHT LOOL, emm my family tree is kinda boring coz most of us are from Tehran but i was born here.

Im going to Behesht on thurs any recommendations?
Reply 42
hmmm, defintely get the kebab, and like democracy said make sure you get the Kebab eh barg and kebab eh koobideh. There both very nice. defiitely try some starter too, but only a couple as you don't want to get full, when the kebab and rice comes!

Enjoy!
Reply 43
Oh, and epicurus do you want to become a member ?
Hmm, i always call myself persian because i think it sounds much nicer!

&, i hate it how when you say you're from IRAN, some ignorant people go, "oh, you're from IRAQ then?!" I mean, i know they're next to one another but please get it right!
piece_by_piece
, i hate it how when you say you're from IRAN, some ignorant people go, "oh, you're from IRAQ then?!" I mean, i know they're next to one another but please get it right!

Yeah, I knew ignorant morons like that in primary school, they were all, we had a war with you in 1991, and I was like, you ****ing well didn't get your facts straight.
Reply 46
lol, yep I think Persian sounds much better, but if people want to say they are Iranian, thats ok too.
Thanks for adding me to the list. :smile:

Would you like to make this society official? So it can have it's own logo etc.
farhan
Thanks for adding me to the list. :smile:

Would you like to make this society official? So it can have it's own logo etc.

If it does get a logo it had better be the sun and lion which shows what Persian culture is really about not the filthy emblem of the Islamic republic.

Please.
I don't know what the sun and lion looks like or the "filthy" emblem of the Islamic republic so you'll have to show me. :teeth:
farhan
I don't know what the sun and lion looks like or the "filthy" emblem of the Islamic republic so you'll have to show me. :teeth:

Filthy emblem of the Islamic Republic (Aka a load of nit ridden mullahs)

Sun and lion shown here in the old flag

Shown more closely in flag of the Red Lion and Sun Society
Reply 51
does anyone know any mods, cause i want to know how long it takes for the application to be accepted, they are taking so long to reply! I like the 2 one, the thrid one looks funny tho!
It varies. Just depends on how long they take to get round to doing it. Should be done in a day or two max.
Reply 53
Arghh, i sent it off like a day before I started this thread, a week ago! we should definitely have a nice logo...I say the 2nd one.
Oooh I like the Iranian flag:

It actually represents Iran, too.
farhan
Oooh I like the Iranian flag:

It actually represents Iran, too.

Did you not listen to my post above on how that emblem is "filthy"?! How the hell does it represent Iran?! Only if Iran is filled with a load of fundermentalist morons who abuse human rights...which it isn't and which that flag is a symbol of.
Reply 56
Democracy
If it does get a logo it had better be the sun and lion which shows what Persian culture is really about not the filthy emblem of the Islamic republic.

Please.

i thought you were an open minded person Democracy

obviously you have just made it clear what sort of person you are

i hope one day you realize that iran is an islamic republic right now and has been like that for 28 years, whether you like it or not :p:

btw hello to all other iranians out there :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
The basic design of the flag is three horizontal bands of green above white above red, symbolizing Islam, peace, and courage. (The use of green to symbolize Islam is frequent in the Muslim world; the flag of Libya is entirely in this color.)

This basic design has been used since the beginning of the 20th century. The coat of arms of Iran has been placed in the center of the white band which is meant to have multiple meanings, but is essentially a geometrically-symmetric form of the word Allah as well as overlapping parts of the Islamic phrase "la ilaha illa Allah" (there is no god but God), forming a monogram.

The symbol consists of four crescents and a sword. The four crescents form the word Allah: from right to left the first crescent is the letter 'Aleph', the second one is the letter 'Laam', the sword (straight line) is the second 'Laam', and the third and forth crescents together form the letter 'Heh'.

That's what it represents and symbolises, not "fundermentalist morons".
farhan
The basic design of the flag is three horizontal bands of green above white above red, symbolizing Islam, peace, and courage. (The use of green to symbolize Islam is frequent in the Muslim world; the flag of Libya is entirely in this color.)

This basic design has been used since the beginning of the 20th century. The coat of arms of Iran has been placed in the center of the white band which is meant to have multiple meanings, but is essentially a geometrically-symmetric form of the word Allah as well as overlapping parts of the Islamic phrase "la ilaha illa Allah" (there is no god but God), forming a monogram.

The symbol consists of four crescents and a sword. The four crescents form the word Allah: from right to left the first crescent is the letter 'Aleph', the second one is the letter 'Laam', the sword (straight line) is the second 'Laam', and the third and forth crescents together form the letter 'Heh'.

That's what it represents and symbolises, not "fundermentalist morons".

First off, thanks for the lesson in Iran's flag's origin, without you I'm lost :rolleyes:

I still beg to differ. Iran is in no way as islamic as other countries like Saudi Arabia, so we sure as hell don't need islamic insignia all over our flag.

Secondly, you ever heard of a little thing called "associations" hmm? The flag per se means nothing, no flag does, just like hitlers swatsika flag in itself shows nothing evil but is associated with evil things.

The Iranian flag after 1980 has become associated with the mullahs who run Iran in a dictatorship and abuse human rights left right and centre. Most Iranians do not want to be associated with people like that, or "fundementalist morons" as I put it and so use the Lion and Sun. Like the whole being called Persian vs Iranian thing, the latter symbol conjures images of Iran's past and great culture but the former shows just the mullah's and their backward ideas. So no, it is not a perfect symbol of Iran.
Reply 59
Ok, guys calm down.....this society was set up to talk about Iran and commonly related Persian/Iranian stuff, not to agrue about the government and all that %%%%%%%%, you could agrue about this for so long and nothing will come out of it.

Both of the flags have special meanings to everyone...forget about it for now, I'll find a good pic which everyone will agree on!

I actually have a question about a Persian restaurant, Its my friends birthday in January and she really wants to go to a Persian restaurant, which is my fault in a way as I boasted a lot about the food and all, she wants to have the whole experience of a good Persian restaurant ( maybe some entertainment too) but not too expensive. I don't want mess it up as this is the first time for some of my friends that they are going to go to a Persian restaurant and I really want to give a good impression of us.

Oh, and it needs to be in Central London!

Btw, farhan your good, how did you know all that stuff???

Quick Reply