The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mine would have been if I didnt buy a different car.
Petrol powered pushbikes or mopheds would be a common way.
Reply 3
Skateboard.
Reply 4
On a more serious note; check out http://www.youngmarmalade.co.uk/home.php
Reply 5
Mines £400 something with elephant insurance. However, that is just added onto my Dad's car. I don't know if your own individual car would be more? I shopped around and elephant.co.uk were by far the cheapest.
Reply 6
Is that even possible for a male?
Reply 7
If you're looking to put the policy under your name then I'd be amazed if you find anything of that level. When I looked into that I was 17 with an old banger and the cheapest I could find was £1400.

If you have someone else - such as a parent - with a decent history as far as claims/convictions go get them involved in it even if they aren't driving the car and it will bring the price down a bit - I got mine's down to about £600 off of a price comparison website of some sort, think it ended up being admiral but I would need to double check that if you wanted to know for sure.
Reply 8
HCooper
:smile: Right, this is for people who are 17 and 18 whos insurance is under £1000, hopefully anyone can help, thanks x

Its not possible in todays market, especially for a male. The insurance companies group you as a male (bad) and a new driver (bad) and an inexperienced driver (bad)

so you're buggered from all angles mate.
welcome to the world of motoring =]
i had my '96 fiat brava (1.4 Sx - group 7 insurance) in my own name insured fully comp for £808 in the year i was learning. and its been falling ever since.

and now i'm 20 i've got insurance at £680 for a 1.6 ford focus 54 reg. so it is possible to get cheaper insurance, you just have to make a lot of phone calls and play 2 companies off one another.
Rehehelly
Is that even possible for a male?

If you are 18 with 1yr NCB in a small car, then yes. After a year of driving, I bought a car with well over twice the power of my first one but my insurance still went down by £700 after getting 1 year no claims.
im on my mums incurance, and shes got an advance driving course certificate so its not too bad...

My real dad pays for it, and i dont want to know how much it is...
in your own name, for your first year of driving, then no chance.
If your adding onto your parent's policy, or you have a year NCB, then yes it is possible.
Ok im not 17, 18, but best thing you can do is just ring around and shop online. Also although people say pass plus is a waste of money, I found it a great help to my first insurance - so maybe look into that as well!!
:smile:
im 18 and a guy and its 120 on my mums focus 1.6 automatic full comp
Reply 15
Drive something that isn't a 1.1 city car. That just screams boy racer accident to insurance companies.

Get something that insurance companies don't expect 17 year olds to drive. Old Diesel mid range cars is a good example. Pug XUD's can be insured for peanuts, i'm told.

And run on chip fat :biggrin:
Reply 16
If you've got an old banger, just go for Third Party Fire and Theft, Mine was about 900 I think with Direct Line.
Minardi
Drive something that isn't a 1.1 city car. That just screams boy racer accident to insurance companies.

Get something that insurance companies don't expect 17 year olds to drive. Old Diesel mid range cars is a good example.
Pug XUD's can be insured for peanuts, i'm told.

And run on chip fat :biggrin:

That only goes so far though.

The bottom line is, even if it is an old man's car, if it's got a decent amount of power behind it then it'll cost a fair bit to insure.
Reply 18
My first years premium was around £700.
Triumph spitfire 1500 (1.5 litre Convertible)
Reply 19
DirtyHarry
That only goes so far though.

The bottom line is, even if it is an old man's car, if it's got a decent amount of power behind it then it'll cost a fair bit to insure.

You'd be suprised, with endsliegh, I got a quote for a 2000 corsa 1ltr 3 cyl and it came to around £1000, at the same time the guy on the phone done it for the car I decided to buy - a Citroen Xantia XUD 1.9 TurboD LX (running on chip fat too!) "That will be £1100 sir." It was an easy choice :yep: Still saving money as the corsa was worth twice as much an the Xant!

EDIT: though this was with 1 yrs NCB

Latest