The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Guvnor
It be interesting to see who bids for him tbh, he's a legend of a striker with good speed and power. Should be interesting :holmes:

Definately, Power, pace, a real nice shot :smile: would love to see him at united
Original post by xDave-
What stats do you have on him? All I've found (from here) are he managed 1 assist, confirming he's not there to provide any sort of killer ball, and 2 yellow cards, which suggests he's either amazing at tackling or intercepts a hell of a lot if he's doing this defensive job. Can't see any passing info anywhere, so what stats do you have?

I agree, Fletcher has also been sub-par, as has Anderson. All 3 have been far better in the past. Our central midfield is a very worrying area; we seem to choose a 37 year old ex-winger instead of our natural CMs most of the time, says a lot.

Like i said, hes operating in a different area to 3-4 years ago. Modric, who everyone is crying out for, has 3 assists - the same amount as OShea but we all know there are far more things he can do that can rip defences apart

31% of Carricks passes are forward, compare that to the best midfielder in the wolrd, Xavi who has 20% (Source:Opta). In the CL, over half (52.9%) Carrick's passes went forwards, according to TotalFootballFC (i recommend downloading that app for those who have an iphone/ipod touch). Its no coincidence that Carrick has played the most games in the last 5 years bar Evra and Rooney and the amount of trophies won. Hes been integral to the team. Hes definitely lost some of those commanding perfomances but the season before last he was playing mostly in defence, he then was turned into a DM and had to focus more on his defensive side of his game and hes now operating in an area where one mistake will cost you the game. Hes made mistakes and his Confidence has definitely taken a hit but i think hes recovered mentally from this and now a real asset in this new position
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 122
Looks like Nasri is staying put but you never know, Wenger could mess it up by offering him another sh-t contract...
Original post by Guvnor
Tottenham demand £45M for Chelsea, Man Utd target Modric
Tottenham want more than DOUBLE what Chelsea offered for Luka Modric on Wednesday night. The London Evening Standard says Tottenham will not sell Modric to Chelsea under any circumstances and hope to scare off other suitors by putting a staggering £45million price tag on his head.
Well thats a slight change not for sale at any price, to less than the rubbish version of Torres cost.

I wouldn't have expected him to leave for less than £35m, I think he will leave for £40m. I think its possible SAF will meet that, bar Nasri on the cheap I don't know any CM we can get for substantially less of the same quality.
Original post by KumailN
Definately, Power, pace, a real nice shot :smile: would love to see him at united

Get over it. Eto'o is not coming to Utd, he's 30 and would command massive wages, more than Rooney. Any move for a striker will stunt Chica's progress too.

Computer says no.
Reckon Eto'o will go to city if Tevez leaves
Original post by Kevmeister
Get over it. Eto'o is not coming to Utd, he's 30 and would command massive wages, more than Rooney. Any move for a striker will stunt Chica's progress too.

Computer says no.

Exactly. I wouldn't want him tbh, and frankly we don't need him...
Not that I really give a **** about Eto, but it could make Sneijder more open to a move, Eto is a huge player to be departing. One of the best strikers in the world, even if he is a dick.
Reply 128

Computer says no.

Get over it? why act like i said he's coming? haha i said i would like to see him at united, i never once said hes coming? Lets keep it all civil here, id like to see him at united, never rule out the possibility of ANY move...Unless you're Sir Alex, you cant really rule it out although it seems very unlikely.
Original post by KumailN
Get over it? why act like i said he's coming? haha i said i would like to see him at united, i never once said hes coming? Lets keep it all civil here, id like to see him at united, never rule out the possibility of ANY move...Unless you're Sir Alex, you cant really rule it out although it seems very unlikely.

No major transfers aged over 27. Eto'o would be a major transfer. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there will be no move to Utd for Eto'o.

And I was civil. Grow a pair. Your neg was useless, btw.
Reply 130
No major transfers aged over 27. Eto'o would be a major transfer. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there will be no move to Utd for Eto'o.

And I was civil. Grow a pair. Your neg was useless, btw.

Grow a pair? now thats just immature :smile: You sound like a child, calm yourself down and torres is 27? im sure that was a major transfer :smile:
Original post by KumailN
Grow a pair? now thats just immature :smile: You sound like a child, calm yourself down and torres is 27? im sure that was a major transfer :smile:

It's advice, ffs.

Torres didn't move to Utd. No major transfers for players aged over 27 to Utd.
Reply 132
It's advice, ffs.

Torres didn't move to Utd. No major transfers for players aged over 27 to Utd.

Make yourself clear next time :smile: No need in replying, this argument/banter has expired.
Reply 133
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
Like i said, hes operating in a different area to 3-4 years ago. Modric, who everyone is crying out for, has 3 assists - the same amount as OShea but we all know there are far more things he can do that can rip defences apart

31% of Carricks passes are forward, compare that to the best midfielder in the wolrd, Xavi who has 20% (Source:Opta). In the CL, over half (52.9%) Carrick's passes went forwards, according to TotalFootballFC (i recommend downloading that app for those who have an iphone/ipod touch). Its no coincidence that Carrick has played the most games in the last 5 years bar Evra and Rooney and the amount of trophies won. Hes been integral to the team. Hes definitely lost some of those commanding perfomances but the season before last he was playing mostly in defence, he then was turned into a DM and had to focus more on his defensive side of his game and hes now operating in an area where one mistake will cost you the game. Hes made mistakes and his Confidence has definitely taken a hit but i think hes recovered mentally from this and now a real asset in this new position

Right. Perhaps I was assessing Carrick from the wrong angles then. I'll keep an eye on him as a DM this season and see if he changes my mind.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 134
Original post by xDave-
Right. Perhaps I was assessing Carrick from the wrong angles then. I'll keep an eye on him as a DM this season and see if he changes my mind.

Same, apart from Bebe and maybe Obertan none of our players have been absolutely crap. Each has played well at some point or the other imo so doesn't really warrant a mass clearout unless replacements are actually in place.
Original post by ksahnan
Same, apart from Bebe and maybe Obertan none of our players have been absolutely crap. Each has played well at some point or the other imo so doesn't really warrant a mass clearout unless replacements are actually in place.
Even Bebe has played well, he just looks out of his depth. I mean he played from the wing. 1 goal in 3 app in the CC and 1 in 1 in Europe. He's done as well as he can when given the chance.
Reply 136
Original post by doggyfizzel
Even Bebe has played well, he just looks out of his depth. I mean he played from the wing. 1 goal in 3 app in the CC and 1 in 1 in Europe. He's done as well as he can when given the chance.

Wtf! I heard he scored for the reserves... this is news to me. Against? Were they decent? He was horrible in the PL games he played, I remember when he was subbed on for Hargo after 5 mins :facepalm: then he himself was so bad that he got subbed round the 60th min :facepalm:
Cleverley scoring a great goal in England U21s training today

Reply 138
*subscribes*
Reply 139
AndersonsBentFoot's analysis on Carrick is spot on. He goes missing at times, but I think he generally plays well, doing a job that few acknowledge. He was easily one of our better players in the Champions League final, for example.

Latest