The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The Polar Dude
I think its not natural because you are being watched plus the additional pressure will be present
I prefer the standard 1 to 1 interviews, that's why I crossed of SGUL on my list

Wait so you're not just being heard by the interviewers? Do you mean other applicants can watch you too :s-smilie:

Original post by AmbitiousMedic
I remember reading somewhere they just score you out of 30 like you mentioned and then combining that with GCSE's and personal statement (I think) you get a score out of 90. There is a cut off out of 90 which you have to meet in order to qualify for an interview.. so I'm assuming unless they use your scores again after interview, they only use it to interview applicants..

Oh that makes sense, thanks.
Original post by Erotas
Wait so you're not just being heard by the interviewers? Do you mean other applicants can watch you too :s-smilie:

I can't remember whether it's Manchester or Leciester but there is a group interview of about 9 applicants- real dodgy
I'm 84.6% sure that I'll apply here :wink:
I can't remember whether it's Manchester or Leciester but there is a group interview of about 9 applicants- real dodgy
I'm 84.6% sure that I'll apply here :wink:

I'm sure that's Manchester and not Leicester unless Leicester have made some last minute changes to their interview process :s-smilie:
I'm sure that's Manchester and not Leicester unless Leicester have made some last minute changes to their interview process :s-smilie:

Ahh ok thanks
Ahh ok thanks

No worries.. If you don't mind me asking what did you get in your UKCAT, and where are you thinking of applying :smile:
No worries.. If you don't mind me asking what did you get in your UKCAT, and where are you thinking of applying :smile:

I will be doing my UKCAT in 2 days... Finally

I am thinking of applying to: Manchester, Leciester,HYMS and Kings. Although that might change when I know my UKCAT. :redface:

What about you?
Reply 26
almost certainly going to apply here :smile: i have 58/60 for academics, so it all rests on my PS and reference to be decent :tongue:

the multi mini interview format doesn't appeal to me though :s-smilie:
I will be doing my UKCAT in 2 days... Finally

I am thinking of applying to: Manchester, Leciester,HYMS and Kings. Although that might change when I know my UKCAT. :redface:

What about you?

Oh okay, well good luck for that, hopefully you get a high score!!

I did mine a few weeks ago, not so good! I got an average of 642.5 which I was pretty annoyed about at the time :frown:

Taking that into consideration, I'm looking at applying to Leicester, HYMS, BSMS, Leeds.. although nothing is set in stone yet..

All a bit confusing if you ask me :tongue:

How's your academics? Must be pretty up there if you're going for the likes of Kings! :smile:
Original post by laurie:)
almost certainly going to apply here :smile: i have 58/60 for academics, so it all rests on my PS and reference to be decent :tongue:

the multi mini interview format doesn't appeal to me though :s-smilie:

Hey when you say academics do you mean your GCSEs together with your UKCAT? Can you tell me when they mention they want English, Maths and Science to be in the grades you include, is it just English language and for separate sciences is it all three grades? Thanks! :biggrin:
Oh okay, well good luck for that, hopefully you get a high score!!

I did mine a few weeks ago, not so good! I got an average of 642.5 which I was pretty annoyed about at the time :frown:

Taking that into consideration, I'm looking at applying to Leicester, HYMS, BSMS, Leeds.. although nothing is set in stone yet..

All a bit confusing if you ask me :tongue:

How's your academics? Must be pretty up there if you're going for the likes of Kings! :smile:

I'm completely maxed my revision for UKCAT so im ready. I should get a high score as hard work pays off:smile:
My academics are not good for the likes of ICL UCL Oxbridge and I thought I would redeem myself at AS but no:

GCSEs: 4A*s 6As- I'm only applying to kings because they like students with low GCSEs and a high UKCAT (if I get it :redface:)

AS: ABBB(biology getting remarked, ffs I thought I would get an A)

Academics not as strong as most med applicants but I'm giving it a shot; heck I bet you have better academia than me :wink:
I think you should be fine with Kings as long as your GCSEs are 7/8/9 A*s
Reply 30
Hey when you say academics do you mean your GCSEs together with your UKCAT? Can you tell me when they mention they want English, Maths and Science to be in the grades you include, is it just English language and for separate sciences is it all three grades? Thanks! :biggrin:

have you looked in the document in the first post/leicester's website/leicester's prospectus? :tongue:
Original post by laurie:)
have you looked in the document in the first post/leicester's website/leicester's prospectus? :tongue:

Yes I have, and they simply stated that the GCSE scores should include Science, Maths and English.. unless you can give me the link to something that states otherwise :biggrin:
I'm completely maxed my revision for UKCAT so im ready. I should get a high score as hard work pays off:smile:
My academics are not good for the likes of ICL UCL Oxbridge and I thought I would redeem myself at AS but no:

GCSEs: 4A*s 6As- I'm only applying to kings because they like students with low GCSEs and a high UKCAT (if I get it :redface:)

AS: ABBB(biology getting remarked, ffs I thought I would get an A)

Academics not as strong as most med applicants but I'm giving it a shot; heck I bet you have better academia than me :wink:
I think you should be fine with Kings as long as your GCSEs are 7/8/9 A*s

If you have done as much practice as you say you'll be fine!! Your GCSEs are fine, and yep you're spot on with the Kings statement!

My academics are pretty average according to TSR standards :tongue:

GCSE's 7 A*'s 2A's and 2B's

AS- AAAA Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.

Hoping for some pretty decent predictions for A2 :tongue:

My only downfall was my UKCAT which pretty much restricted my choice of universities, but oh well nothing I can do about it now..

Just give the test your best shot and I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin:
If you have done as much practice as you say you'll be fine!! Your GCSEs are fine, and yep you're spot on with the Kings statement!

My academics are pretty average according to TSR standards :tongue:

GCSE's 7 A*'s 2A's and 2B's

AS- AAAA Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.

Hoping for some pretty decent predictions for A2 :tongue:

My only downfall was my UKCAT which pretty much restricted my choice of universities, but oh well nothing I can do about it now..

Just give the test your best shot and I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin:

Thanks! Your academics are above cool too, hopefully kings should be fine
Reply 34
Original post by Erotas
Do they look at your personal statement before they interview? I can't remember which one now, but one uni said at the open day that the interviewers won't have read the ps before :l

Yeah they do - I think they combine the score from personal statement with the one from UKCAT and from academics to make an overall score which is ranked and then interviews are given out.
Reply 35
Yes I have, and they simply stated that the GCSE scores should include Science, Maths and English.. unless you can give me the link to something that states otherwise :biggrin:

then that's your answer - that's all i know, if you need more detail i suggest you contact them via email or phone them :tongue:
Reply 36
whats this about a writing thing for applying????!!!!!! i havent really looked into it, ive only got a few med schools to choose from coz i got a D in my AS level, most specify a C or B. i emailed every uni, some even straight out told me not to apply to them. this was one of the few that encouraged me to apply, but i dont know what this writing thingy is...and im bad at writing...i did the bmat last year and got a 2b (which is rubbish btw!) in the writing bit...now im worried :frown:
Reply 37
Might be wrong but shouldn't the poll be out of 60? Ukcat = 30 gcses = 30
Original post by Erotas
Might be wrong but shouldn't the poll be out of 60? Ukcat = 30 gcses = 30

Apparently PS is also used which is marked out of 30
Original post by POWCATTY
whats this about a writing thing for applying????!!!!!! i havent really looked into it, ive only got a few med schools to choose from coz i got a D in my AS level, most specify a C or B. i emailed every uni, some even straight out told me not to apply to them. this was one of the few that encouraged me to apply, but i dont know what this writing thingy is...and im bad at writing...i did the bmat last year and got a 2b (which is rubbish btw!) in the writing bit...now im worried :frown:

You may be able to help me; which uni's discouraged you to apply and which uni's encouraged you to apply?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest