The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy: 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by pashoxphysio
Hi :biggrin: Im a 19 year old irish student applying.
Iv actually been really lucky here in Ireland and arranged loads of experience from emailing,phoning and sending letters to lots of different places!

So far, iv got 1 day in the Public Hospital a half hour away, also iv got 2 days in the smaller public hospital in the city aswell!
a private hospital in the same city is also giving me a day.
The sports surgery clinic (private sports hospital) in Dublin is giving me a day and im going there wednesday!

the national rehab hospital has me on a waiting list.
Last week I attended a day course in understanding mental health and the providers are a group who deal with disabled children. They have offered me shadowing with there physio every week until I would go to the UK next year.

Furthermore, Iv sorted experience with 3 private physios, 2 sports therapists, a nursing home, Connacht and Munster Rugby teams and the Brothers of Charity (intellectual disability group).

I hope that all of this will stand to me in my application.

Has anybody started reading anything?
Today I bought a couple of books fairly cheap on ebay!

However,
Iv already covered most anatomy/physiology etc. as im almost finished sports therapy!

Wheres most peeps applying to? :biggrin:

Patrick :biggrin:

Holy...

I'm Irish too man and I thought I'd done pretty well getting two weeks in a public hospital.

Anyone any advice on picking colleges? Not being British I don't have a very good feel for which colleges are well regarded, which may be a little easier to get in to etc. I've Liverpool, Ulster, Birmingham, King's and Cardiff down at the moment but from what I've heard it's going to be VERY hard to get offers out of any of them.
Original post by DK_Tipp
Holy...

I'm Irish too man and I thought I'd done pretty well getting two weeks in a public hospital.

Anyone any advice on picking colleges? Not being British I don't have a very good feel for which colleges are well regarded, which may be a little easier to get in to etc. I've Liverpool, Ulster, Birmingham, King's and Cardiff down at the moment but from what I've heard it's going to be VERY hard to get offers out of any of them.

Hi, Ive a pretty good amount of work exp done to date. Where you from, what age are ya and whats your name? :biggrin:

Have you been to the Uk to take a look at any courses? I was over there last week.

Basically, from meeting so many graduates working in the hospitals in Galway that have studied in the Uk, I decided to narrow courses down by best airports for travelling to, and who has a number of Irish students doing physio.

Might sound picky but it helped a lot as most the physios I spoked to travelled home every 2nd/3rd or 4th weekend and chose Unis that had airports that could get flights in and out of an airport near their homes in Ireland. So with Manchester I can fly there from 3 local enough airports in the West. From Manchester I have Manchester Met, and Sheffield which is only 40 mins away by train. Then Leeds aint far either and can also fly to there. Bradford Uni is also close proximity then too!

BTW just Reading your post, do you realise that for applying to Ulster you need to sit a HPAT? That will pile extra pressure on!

Hope this may help.

Patrick :biggrin:
Reply 102
Patrick

I'm 19 and I'm on a level 6 Physiology course in Carlow so like yourself I know the basics of anatomy and physiology. Think as an Irishman you can work out where I'm from, from my username!

I applied to UUJ before and flew the HPAT and got an offer (Leaving Cert let me down) so I'm well prepared for that.

I know a lot Irish go to the North West for convenience sake travel wise alright. Also know a good few in Newcastle and Teeside.

Have seen Jordanstown but haven't actually been over to England to look at colleges. Where were you over there?
Manchester Met, Salford, Sheffield Hallam, Newcastle, Teeside, Leeds, Bradford...

Yeah I know the course.
I am actually gunna apply for that just incase im rejected cause you will walk into Brighton University with that course!

TRUST ME on that one bud.

I shadowed a girl who qualified from Brighton last year, From Kilkenny.
She done that course and since then Brighton actually look for students coming directly out of that Carlow course.

They have 14 Irish students in 1st year atm, 16 in second year.

Manchester have a lot of irish doing physio, salford have 25(irish) out of 50 students in 2nd year but wudnt i didnt like the place.

Sheffield was amazing to be honest. Really really liked the place. Building was really new and vast amount of equipment etc.

I know Newcastle very well myself as I was sick as a young kid and spent time there in hospital. Great city, accomodation not to pricey either!

Spoke to physios in Galway who qualified in Leeds and really rated the course.
Bradford is the oldest physio course in the Uk and is really recognised so highly and recommended by so many!
Bradford also opened a new building for physio and OT.

Manchester and Sheffield accommodation are both 93 pounds a week (closest to the campus) including bills and broadband etc- that price is for a double bed and en-suite. Otherwise its cheaper!

going to be visiting Brighton next.

Out of them all to date, Like Manchester as the timetable is so likeable for students that will travel home or work etc.

Have you applied yet?
Im applying next week!

Patrick
Reply 104
Thanks man I'm still considering Brighton, Manchester and Leeds so that's a big help.

Pretty much have my Personal statement done. Just trying to narrow down the options and get my academic reference.

Carlow is a great course as a route in to Physio or Sports Rehab and I've found the college pretty helpful. They've good links with some of the UK unis and Brighton has definitely been mentioned alright.

I know a good few of the girls from work experience in Mayo studied in Bradford and Leeds. I know there aren't many Physio jobs right now but it seems like the Irish Universities aren't meeting long term demand...

Might send off a few emails in the next few days get a feel for what they look for.

Where in Ireland are you studying btw?
Original post by DK_Tipp
Thanks man I'm still considering Brighton, Manchester and Leeds so that's a big help.

Pretty much have my Personal statement done. Just trying to narrow down the options and get my academic reference.

Carlow is a great course as a route in to Physio or Sports Rehab and I've found the college pretty helpful. They've good links with some of the UK unis and Brighton has definitely been mentioned alright.

I know a good few of the girls from work experience in Mayo studied in Bradford and Leeds. I know there aren't many Physio jobs right now but it seems like the Irish Universities aren't meeting long term demand...

Might send off a few emails in the next few days get a feel for what they look for.

Where in Ireland are you studying btw?

Send a few emails to see what who looks for?
I have exactly what Manchester Met looks for in the personal statement if you want me to post it up?
Manchester Met hadnt an open day when i was there but they were so helpful that they organised one of the tutors to meet me and take me on a tour, meet some students and show me everything regarding the physio course!

They dont get you to buy books either.
They give you the option to purhcase second hand 1s off students at a book fair.
But in Gaskell Campus (heatlh) they have a medical library with multiple copies of all physio books.
You can hire these books for 2 or 4 weeks but certain books can only be taken for 2.
Also, most students do their independant study in the library as they have physio software on the laptops for making programmes etc.

its a great course and Manchester met also said they would allow both the 1st year placement and the elective in 3rd year be done in Ireland if i wished.
There so so helpful.

I was on 1 of the FAI footballets courses last year where I done all the anatomy and that. You might know the FAI/Business degree in Carlow.
Aswell on weekends I do sports therapy with IMST in Limerick.
For this year, I focused on getting loads of work experience so in my spare time I do the Open University SK277 Human Biology course. - I done this course as Manchester Met actually advised me to do so.

Hope this may help some more!
Patrick
Reply 106
Original post by pashoxphysio
Send a few emails to see what who looks for?
I have exactly what Manchester Met looks for in the personal statement if you want me to post it up?
Manchester Met hadnt an open day when i was there but they were so helpful that they organised one of the tutors to meet me and take me on a tour, meet some students and show me everything regarding the physio course!

They dont get you to buy books either.
They give you the option to purhcase second hand 1s off students at a book fair.
But in Gaskell Campus (heatlh) they have a medical library with multiple copies of all physio books.
You can hire these books for 2 or 4 weeks but certain books can only be taken for 2.
Also, most students do their independant study in the library as they have physio software on the laptops for making programmes etc.

its a great course and Manchester met also said they would allow both the 1st year placement and the elective in 3rd year be done in Ireland if i wished.
There so so helpful.

I was on 1 of the FAI footballets courses last year where I done all the anatomy and that. You might know the FAI/Business degree in Carlow.
Aswell on weekends I do sports therapy with IMST in Limerick.
For this year, I focused on getting loads of work experience so in my spare time I do the Open University SK277 Human Biology course. - I done this course as Manchester Met actually advised me to do so.

Hope this may help some more!
Patrick

Ah yeah I know a few of those lads on the FAI course alright!

I sent off a few emails just to see what they look for academically. My grades in college are pretty strong but my Leaving Cert wasn't great. I know Birmingham put a lot of weight on Leaving Cert results.

I more or less have my personal statement written but I wouldn't mind seeing exactly what they look for so if ya could that'd great. Manchester Met sounds pretty good.
Original post by DK_Tipp
Ah yeah I know a few of those lads on the FAI course alright!

I sent off a few emails just to see what they look for academically. My grades in college are pretty strong but my Leaving Cert wasn't great. I know Birmingham put a lot of weight on Leaving Cert results.

I more or less have my personal statement written but I wouldn't mind seeing exactly what they look for so if ya could that'd great. Manchester Met sounds pretty good.

This is no joke now! On the grades that tables say Unis ask for, Birmingham and Manchester are the same, but when I emailed most Universities, Birmingham told me they wouldnt accept me, but everyone else said they would.
Yeah I turned out the same as yourself, was a few short in my leaving.

Manchester Met seems to be my best choice atm as the timetable is class!
Monday 9-5
Tuesday OFF for Independant study
Wed 9-1
Thurs OFF for Independant study
Fri 9-1

Most unis do a Monday-Fri 9-5 but have a Wed afternoon off for activites etc!
Some though do have an actually Monday to Friday 9-5 which sounds pretty daunting.
Here is the email from Manchester Met:

Applicants who fulfil the minimum academic entry requirements for the BSc Physiotherapy will be forwarded to the next stage of the admissions selection process. At this stage the application form is read by a member of the Admissions Team who reviews your personal statement and reference.
The purpose of this is to select which applicants we wish to interview. Your reference is reviewed and deemed satisfactory or unsatisfactory. From the personal statement we are looking for information in 5 areas.
Each area is scored from 0 to 3. If an area is not addressed in the personal statement it cannot be considered and this may significantly disadvantage your application.
We therefore strongly advise you to include information from all relevant areas detailed below. The threshold score above which students are called for interview may vary from year to year depending on the average score for that year.

1. Reasons for choosing physiotherapyIt is vital that you tell us why you wish to be a physiotherapist, remember there is no correct answer to this question.

2. Work experienceWe look for some knowledge into the wide range of physiotherapy specialities. We look for work experience such as shadowing a physiotherapist or work in another caring role. We realise that this can sometimes be difficult but remember that physiotherapists and other carers not only work in hospitals, but also in areas such as community health centres, homes for the elderly, industry, private practice. Tell us how you got involved in such work, how much time you have spent there and what you have gained from it. If you have been unable to get experience to date, tell us what you have done to find out about physiotherapy and any forthcoming visits you have arranged.

3. Interests/hobbiesPhysiotherapy involves good communication skills; verbal and listening skills. True communication calls for shared life experiences and empathy with others. One aspect of shared life experience is your interests and hobbies tell us about these. Why do you pursue them, have you achieved any outside recognition eg. awards? We realise that some students may have more opportunities than others to pursue a wide range of interests, however, what we are looking at is how you utilize the spare time you have.

4. HumanityWe are interested in you demonstrating some caring experience that may or may not be physiotherapy related. Can you tell us about your ability to care and empathise, have you any practical evidence of this?

5. Team work/leadership qualitiesWe are looking for leadership/team working qualities. Can you demonstrate any of these skills either within or outside school or work?
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks to all you guys coming in and giving advice/sharing experiences, really appreciate it and im sure the others do too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Maes Seren
Hi,
That timetable does sound short!
Being honest, do you study much during your time off?
I would be moving over from Ireland so I think I would actually study quite a bit when not attending uni.

Could you tell me where the nearest airports are to Cumbria?
How do you find the course?

Patrick
(edited 12 years ago)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 112
Hey :smile:

I am thinking of applying for physiotherapy 2012 entry and I am just wondering what the course in weighted like in terms of essays, practical sessions, seminars, etc?

I withdrew from a university course earlier this year after not enjoying the type of learning that I had to do, I.E reading up loads and loads and loads of seemingly irrelevant stuff.

I believe I would get on much better in a more hands on role and was wondering how physiotherapy is structured?
Original post by robjaret
Hey :smile:

I am thinking of applying for physiotherapy 2012 entry and I am just wondering what the course in weighted like in terms of essays, practical sessions, seminars, etc?

I withdrew from a university course earlier this year after not enjoying the type of learning that I had to do, I.E reading up loads and loads and loads of seemingly irrelevant stuff.

I believe I would get on much better in a more hands on role and was wondering how physiotherapy is structured?

Hi Rob,
Ah well with physiotherapy you really need to decide beforehand if this role suits you. You need to try get some work experience of some sort. Preferably not sports as the degree itself is sturctured around working in a hospital mainly.

With regards to study, there is a vast amount of study needed, with quite a fair amount being independant study on your time off. As a physio you will need to know everything regarding anatomy, physiology, neurology etc.
That is why so much study is needed. Also more is needed on knowing causes, treatments and rehab of all types of injuries etc.

I am so eager to begin physio and I am 19. But I chose to take a gap year to make sure I am destined to be a physio. If you are not fully committed to physiotherapy Id suggest not choosing this career. Speaking to students myself, they will say its tough but well worth it if you really want to work in this area.

You should go speak to some physios about the courses etc.
Original post by Maes Seren
I study a fair amount yes, you need to. We all sit in the library and work together, it's quite nice.

I would suggest Newcastle or Manchester would be the closest major airports. Carlisle does have it's own, however it isn't a big one unfortunately. Both airports have good rail networks mind.

I really enjoy it, we have a swimming group going every weds afternoon (sports afternoon) but there are quite a few sports clubs in the area too.

I was at UWE before I came here (previous degree) and I honestly have settled here much quicker as everyone is so friendly and welcoming.

Of course there's the huge bonus that our year group is only 17, rather than the other Unis with a larger intake.

Hi Again Maes,
Your course sounds great.
Any idea how far ie hours by train Newcastle or Manchester are?
I was actually in Manchester 2 weeks ago looking unis pity i could have organised a trip.

Just wondering regards kit at start?
Do you buy books at beginning? Or have you use of the books in the library?
What sort of equipment had you to purchase?
Did you need to purchase Uni unforms or tracksuits etc for practicals?

Im Loving the small group number which is tightly knitted together by the sounds of it all!

Patrick
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 116

It's about an hour an a half on the train from Newcastle and about 2hrs away from manchester on the train (direct mind).

We mainly use the Palastanga book, I bought the 5th Edt on eBay quite cheaply, the rest of my books are 'non-essentials' for the course (are helpful mind), but other than Palastanga, the library is quite well stocked.

Equipment wise, we needed practical kit - plain shorts we could move in, vest type top if required for the men (most go without), and for the women a strappy top or sports bra, oh and plain polo shirts of any colour. We also had to buy a Littmann or tytan stethoscopes and an 8" goniometer.

We have uniform for placements - we get given 2 pairs of trousers, 1 fleece and either 2 tunics or polo shirts or one of each. Can buy extra for a small cost (I ordered 2 polo shirts for a grand total of £24 Inc p&p.

I got my placement today, I got paediatrics within an acute hospital. I'm quite looking forward to the challenge, it's something new. Planning to start on the reading as soon as possible.

Paediatrics! :O I think i'll love that! And stethoscopes! I'm trying to contain my excitement here...

Anyway, how was your interview (bit random :tongue:)? I'm kind of dreading mine (if i even get one, that is.) But what did they ask? How many interviewers were there? How did you dress?
(edited 11 years ago)
Maes That sounds good.
Yeah the only thing I seem to be narrowing it down by is where there are easily accessible airports.

As I would try fly home every 3/4 weekends.

How are you finding the course?
Ans how are the placements divided up throughout the years?

Patrick
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest