The Student Room Group

Scottish Qualifications Required To Enter A Degree In Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
What a load of 24 carat testicles.

Could you please show us some evidence that all three sciences are preferred?

PREFER, that doesnt mean indefinitely like you're making out i'm trying to say...

this is what i've been told throughout my years of high school by teachers and by friends that are going to do medicine at university, and im sure the careers advisor at my school, who is trained in such areas and has the expertise to recommend subjects to take to best suit chances of getting into uni courses, is not wrong.
Original post by roar558
I have to repeat, the universities generally don't mind what subjects you take outside chemistery, sometimes biology and another science. This third science does not have to be physics, maths or another science subject would be fine.

yeah i know, but like I said previously, they PREFER it, its not a definite requirement....
Original post by nerd434
Out of curiosity, what grades did you receive in your sixth year? While you were studying three Advanced Highers and a Higher?

I'll probably be doing AH Maths, Chemistry and Physics and then H Biology and I was just wondering how most people fare with that workload?

I don't share my academic history.
Original post by imonlylittle
PREFER, that doesnt mean indefinitely like you're making out i'm trying to say...

this is what i've been told throughout my years of high school by teachers and by friends that are going to do medicine at university, and im sure the careers advisor at my school, who is trained in such areas and has the expertise to recommend subjects to take to best suit chances of getting into uni courses, is not wrong.

It is a pretty well known fact that careers advisors are awful when it comes to medicine, dentistry, vet med, oxbridge, law or any other university course outside their comfort zone.

Teachers also have no clue. Most advice they can give is based on their own experience which could be 25 years ago.

I am not just saying this, there are numerous cases on this website alone where careers advisors have issued frankly farcical 'advice'. Read some prospectuses, speak to some successful applicants, contact some universities; hopefully you will then realise that they are wrong.

From the websites:

Aberdeen

''To be considered: AAAAB to be achieved in five Highers taken together in S5 at the first sitting.

Chemistry required to grade B minimum
Two subjects required from Biology/Human Biology, Maths & Physics
Two further Highers in most other subjects. Check with Medical Admissions Office if in doubt about suitability of a subject.''

Dundee

''A minimum group of AAABB grades at SQA Higher level will allow consideration. The subjects must include Chemistry and another Science subject, all to be obtained in 5th year. The other three Highers can be your own choice and this choice of subjects will not influence the assessment.
We also require Biology at least to Standard Grade.

Applications supported by AAAAC grades from 5th year will also be considered, provided the C grade is not in Higher Chemistry. (Approx. 6% of candidates sitting 5 Highers attain these grades).

Achievement at standard grade will also be taken into account.

We have no requirements at Advanced Higher but studies must be completed.''

St Andrews

''AAAAB (at Higher) including Chemistry (A grade) and one other of Biology, Mathematics or Physics.''

Glasgow

''Minimum of AAAAB at one sitting including Chemistry and Biology and either Mathematics or Physics.''

Edinburgh

''AAAAB at one sitting normally in S5 to include Chemistry and two of Biology, Mathematics or Physics''

Case closed. Ask me one on sport?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by imonlylittle
yeah i know, but like I said previously, they PREFER it, its not a definite requirement....

Not really, from what I've read in terms of selectors guidelines, they give the same weighting to someone who's taken english to someone who hasn't. They give points academically on the grades achieved and predicted for these subjects, whether or not higher english is one of them rarely if ever comes into this.
lol okay guys, taking this a little bit too seriously! i didnt say anything i said was solid facts...
like i said, going from what i've heard, saying its supposed to be preferred (according to careers advisor at my school) once again not a direct and specific requirement asked by uni's....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending